Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Where to ride after Singletrack Classic Weekender?
  • chuffnuts

A mate and I are going to the SCW and are thinking of staying on for some further riding. We are definitely going to ride Gisburn and Stainburn forests but would like something fairly near to ride on a second day, any suggestions????

I know there is lots of great riding nearby but if I’ve got to look at a map then we are doomed to never see our familys again!

We may do Dalby but it is looking like it’s a bit far to drive to then drive back to the South East.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

chuffnuts,
    Let me get this right… You are going to drive from the sarf-east all the way to oop-narth and you are planning or riding Gisburn!!!
    Can I be the first to respectfully suggest you take a look at Peak District, Calderdale, Lakes, Dales, etc.

Here’s a starter…
    Boggies rides list
    Boggies route list

TonyL
    Free Member

Lakes would get my vote only an hour and a half or so from Rossendale to get to some really good ridding in the lakes. I can suggest some routes/mark up some maps at the weekender for you if you like.

chuffnuts

Is Gisburn cack then?

I do like the sound of something different like Calderdale riding, but I really know nothing of the riding there, in the Peak or in the Lakes. What I really don’t want is some XC epic without the rewards and with map headaches, like a big day out on the South Downs. That’s not me.

I know I’m being fussy but if I don’t get what I want I’ll have a great big hissy fit, stamp up and down and go home early!

JustGoRide
    Free Member

Have look on http://www.justgoride.co.uk/Content/Routes/Routes.aspx switch to the the map search (tab in the top right hand corner) and have a browse. There are loads of routes in the Lake District, Peak District, Yorkshire and Lancashire. You really shouldn’t have any problems locating a decent route to ride! I’m sure there are a couple local to Lee Quarry as well!

🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

If trail centres are your thing, then Gisburn is worth a visit, it’s a reasonable xc ride with some bits to stop and play on, you could go round twice prehaps, it’s all marked. There’s also a small downhill area and skills area.
    Stainburn is completely different to most trail centres and you’ll either love it or hate it. It’s very small and consequently has been built very XC technical, with stuff to session. once you’ve done the black, red, log rides and descent line a few times, across the main road is Norwood, recently felled, there’s nothing marked, but a bit of searching around you’ll find some stuff (up around the trig point). If you’re looking for a long xc ride and you don’t like play biking, then don’t bother with Stainburn.

sambob
    Free Member

Peak district is pretty much on your way home and has some fantastic riding, not very difficult to find your way round either. Some nice routes from Hope and Hayfield, can send you a gpx. if you’ve got the means to use it?

TonyL
    Free Member

extend your stay by several years! I have been up north now for well over 10 years and still finding new stuff to ride, lakes, peak, dales we are a bit spoilt for choice really. If you want to ride from Lee Quarry and cut down on the driving the Mary Towneley Loop is worth thinking about. Some great rides in the Peak District but you will need to use a map! Gisburn is good lots of fun stuff hidden away in the forest. Calderdale has some excellent routes again bring a map along to the weekender and we can mark up some suggested routes for you.

chuffnuts

Sounds like I’d be daft not to try a Peak or Calderdale ride too.

I’ll bring a map and gps with me, sambob if you’ve got a gpx then that would be useful thanks.

10 years Tony, you’ll be all talking funny by now!

Any bike friendly suggestions of where to stay after the SCW?

sambob
    Free Member

No email in profile chuffnuts?

project
    Free Member

Ride down the hill to Todmorden, the home of a well know mtb mag, im sure youll be very welcome.

But perhaps they may not be there that day.

chuffnuts

Im sure they’ll be a little busy on the Monday!

Email is jamie at technophobe dot tv, thanks.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Where to ride after Singletrack Classic Weekender?’ is closed to new replies.