Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Where to mtb in the peaks
  • Rscott
    Free Member

So finally my self and riding buddies have decided to venture out in the peaks.

Any advice on routes,and websites with maps on them.

Is there any must rides.

looking at routes around 30km but were pretty flexible. were used to riding in the lakes and NE doing anything from 5km to 40+km.werideamixture of bikes from 100mmxc bike to 140mm full suss.

any help on where to ride and map suggestions would be great.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Grab an OS map and try and follow this…………..

Park in Castleton. Head allong the road from the war memorial to the south east and go up the hill, at the top turn left down pindale (the only BW on the left), at the road at the bottom turn right onto another BW (might be a footpath) to the village, on the far side of the valley ride on the eastern side up the road then dirt track and come down the bridleway known as Bradwell Clough. Folow the footpath back that you came in in on and go straight on (pindale you came down will be on the left), follow the road back to the junction, and left back up the hill you climbed erlier (it’s worth it, sorry), follow the farm track marked Dirlow Rake, past the old mine workings on the right, and turn right onto the limestone way, this is Cavedale, you’ll either love it and it’ll become you’re favourite track in the world, or hate it for being a barley wide enough 1in3 track trewn with 1ft boulders.

You’re know back at the war memorial, eat fish and chips or go to the pub, there’s more climbing to come in the afternoon.

Ride out of castleton on the main road west, continue up the broken road, continue straight ahead at the car park at the top, right at the junction past/round the top car park, and stop in the layby on the right just as the road starts to drop. Take the BW sraight down the hill from the layby.

Follow the road at the bottom east, and find the BW back up to hollins cross, straight over the top, down the grassy BW back to castleton.

BigJohn

I love Cavedale. I love the Beast too. And Potato Alley and The Mad Mile and Hagg Farm, and , and, and…

The key to the best day out is to incorporate several descents each of a different character, without saving the best till last as you should be too knackered then to do it justice.

muddy9mtb

anything that includes a descent of mam tor old road would be welcomed, going up is not too bad either

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Where to mtb in the peaks’ is closed to new replies.