Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Where to live between Stirling and Glasgow?!
  • troberts1994
    Free Member

Calling all central Scots! I’ve just got a job working in Central Scotland. I’ll be travelling throughout Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire, West Lothian and Midlothian however I’ll occasionally be located in Glasgow. I’m looking for somewhere to live which is reasonably central between Stirling and Glasgow with a good trail network from the doorstep (I’m moving from the Lake District so good trails is my main priority!). Carron Valley looks like a good area however if anyone can give me an insight into where they think has the best quality of life for a mountain biker then let me know!

Cheers!

legend
    Free Member

There’s not really anything in the Carron Valley other than a resevoir and some fairly poor trails.

I’m in Lenzie, it’s about as handy as you can get as there’s trains direct to Stirling and Glasgow and easy M80/M8/M73 access. Door step off-roading riding is crap though

tomd
    Free Member

If quality mountain biking on your doorstep is your top priority I would aim to live as near as possible to Stirling. You can ride to the trails at North Third, Cambusbarron and the Ochils. Places like Lennoxtown & Strathblane have a bit to offer mtb wise but you’re a good bit off the Motorway. If you can put up with Road / Cross type riding then there are most areas between Glasgow & Stirling are good.

legend
    Free Member

Yup and house at Cambusbarron, or at Bridge of Allan (for Dumyat) would be pretty perfect for riding

perchypanther
    Free Member

South West side of Edinburgh? Currie, Balerno-ish. Close to the motorway for access to Stirling, Lothians / Lanarkshire.
    Next to the Pentlands for local trails.
    As close to Peebles / Tweed Valley as you could hope for without leaving the city?

fruitbat

Falkirk – FTW 😆

Fat-boy-fat

Dunblane, Bridge of Allan, Stirling (including Cambusbarron) are the obvious choices. We live in the area precisely because of the combination of trails and good travel access.

alishand

A good place for MTB access between Stirling and Glasgow?

That’d be Stirling.

Seriously, Stirling is as central as it gets in my mind, with it being less than an hour to either of the big cities.

There is also a huge natural trail network on your door step, and there is a very active riding scene with lots of different groups riding virtually every night.

legend
    Free Member

fruitbat – Member

Falkirk – FTW

Ye ken thats no a good idea, like

troberts1994
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice! Outskirts of Stirling it is! I start on the 1st of June so I’d better get house hunting!

Cheers!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

alishand has it, although I’d prefer Bridge of Allan over Stirling itself. Cambusbarron is a good shout too.

Even excluding the cracking biking on your doorstep, it’s very central with FW, Aviemore all within 2 hours, and only 2h30 to the Lakes.

ads678

Cumbernauld is between Glasgow and Stirling. Doesn’t that have a nice shopping centre??

matt_outandabout

Stirling, Bridge of Allan or Stirling. Alishand has it.

Easy access to outdoors, and all your work, lots of facilities, house prices not too silly if you avoid Upper Bridge of Allan and The Crescent in Dunblane….

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cumbernauld is fantastic especially for a fan of architecture. I lived there for two years during my apprenticeship and my heart still yearns.

Most of the above is bollocks.

DickBarton

Bannockburn would also be worth a shout as it gives you a 20 minute warm-up for the Ochils or 10 minutes to Cambusbarron and the south side…probably cheaper than the north west of Stirling as well.
    Cambusbarron would be a good shout as well.
    Falkirk isn’t worth the move as there isn’t enough on the doorstep…but probably has cheaper house prices.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I live in causewayhead. Its great. Top of dumyat in under an hour. 🙂 searck fk9 postcode for houses.

jimmy

I would be very happy living in Bridge of Allan.

ks562
    Free Member

Stirling or Bridge of Allan. I live pretty much in the centre of Stirling – perfect for riding. Dumyat and Mine Woods one evening, Cambu and North Third the next. Can cycle to Carron Valley to get some fitness miles in now we have lighter evenings (and even finish with North Third if you have the legs!) 40 mins drive to Comrie if you fancy something different and only 1hr 15 to Buzzards Nest car park at Glentress or 1hr 30 to the Golfie. Or you can get into the Highlands, down to AE or to the Lakes in not much time at all.

hugorune

I Lived on the east side of Stirling at the foot of Dumyat / Uni woods (Menstrie) and it was a forking nightmare to get into the centre of Glasgow in the Mornings – hour and ten mins + drive.Not sure if the trains have got any faster in the last 5 years either. With a bit of hindsight i’d say that If you’re working in Glasgow everyday then sacrifice having trails on your doorstep and live somewhere nice like Lenzie

iain1775
    Free Member

Cumbernauld is between Glasgow and Stirling. Doesn’t that have a nice shopping centre??

And a BMX track
    What more could you want?
    Maybe a motorway to get out quickly
    They thought of that too

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I work near Cumbernauld quite a bit. A total arsehole of a place would be quite accurate. Not sure if riding from any if them but Lenzie seems nice. Decent curry house too.

dgb1
    Free Member

I had the pleasure of working in that neck of the woods a number of years back, initially had a house in Bannockburn which was convenient for trips around Dumyat & Bridge Of Allan with Pete & friends from Flying Fox bike shop in Alva and later moved to a house in Falkirk which was less convenient for biking but better for work.
    As for trips across to Glasgow, at the time there were major roads works going on so it was a pain but they’re now done and it’s much better (I believe).
    Bridge of Allan is a lovely spot as is Dunblane but I’m sure they’re quite expensive to live in. Cambusbarron and around there is nice too. Cumbernauld; run, don’t walk, just run!!
    Then again, I was just a blow in so what do I know.

G

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I moved the other direction 8 years ago… it’s wrecked my riding!

Stirling – all day every day.

Deeply envious. I would move back in a shot.

seosamh77
    Free Member

stay next to stirling somewhere, you can be in glasgow in half an hour, bridge of allan or about there.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Where to live between Stirling and Glasgow?!’ is closed to new replies.