Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Where to get some decent loft ladders
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

Come on then what you got?

Converted the loft into decent usable space so need something sturdy and reliable. More than likely it'll be used daily so want something that will withstand mass use. Needs to be sturdy as well none of this flimsy rikety stuff I don't want to feel like bobo the balancing chimp everytime I head up top.

Oh and wood please 🙂

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I was going to say B&Q until I saw the wood part.

Get a joiner to build something maybe?

Spongebob
    Free Member

Syurdy aluminium ones are a good bet. Have you looked at Screwfix.com?

midlifecrashes

Timber merchants keep them in, Nixon & Knowles are good if you have one local. They will help you with planning the job if you go in in person.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I wouldn't use wood. Too prone to flexing, shrinkage, coming apart. If you think that's wrong, why are ladders mostly made from aluninium these days?

Try using wooden ladders to decorate. Scary! And they weigh a tonne!

DeeW
    Free Member

I bought one of those wooden ladders attached to a hatch. Took it home and my builders advised me to take it straight back: apparently a real ball ache to fit and get all lined up. Never did get round to buying another, but if I did I'd go for an aluminium one

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Wood every time. I've fitted loads of fakro ones, usually around £120. Get the larger of the two sizes if space allows.
    I've got a screwfix one in my house as it was the biggest one I could find. 2.8m drop, 3m ceiling though, so made a step for it. It's brilliant. Screwfix item number 55681.
    They're very easy to fit he you're vaguely handy, but ideally needs two people.

Shadow
    Free Member

Timber loft ladder They dont crack shrink or warp they are easy to fit and use
    stay away from aluminium ladders they are crap and wear out after a while, that one up there from wickes is as good as any but you can spend up to about £300 if you want one with gas struts ect have a look here Ladderstore
    I have fitted loads and we never get any come back from them, i even have a one at home

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Shadow, that's identical to the fakro

Shadow
    Free Member

yep its made by them and branded up as wickes and usually cheeper than i can get it from the merchants go figure

forge197
    Free Member

We have a fakro it's excellent as loft ladders go and more comfortable than a metal rung ladder

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Where to get some decent loft ladders’ is closed to new replies.