Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Where to get pressure gauge for low pressures
  • epicyclo

Got a Surly Endomorph tyre, tubes are Presta valves.

I’d like to get a pressure gauge that reads low pressures accurately, ie probably range 0 -30 psi.

Any ideas?

Even better if it is attached to a track pump 🙂

poppa
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=8504

Possibly a bit over the top, as it gives you pressure to the nearest 0.1 PSI. It is light enough to chuck in your pocket if you feel the urge, and has a light and back-lit display option.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I use a Topeak SmartGauge, it does Presta and Schraeder and reads to 0.1 PSI, can’t see why you would need more accuracy.

epicyclo

Dibbs – Member
    I use a Topeak SmartGauge, it does Presta and Schraeder and reads to 0.1 PSI, can’t see why you would need more accuracy.

You’ve got to make allowances for us old folk who think a gauge is round and has a needle 🙂

My eyes can’t make out the tiny increments on a gauge that goes up to 200+ psi.

A digital gauge solves the visibility problem nicely (assuming it is accurate at low pressures)

mogrim

You could also try a motorbike dealer, they’ll have pressure gauges – you’d need a screw on adaptor though for the valves.

Don’t get a digital one, they run out of batteries just when you need them most.

(And people on this thread are confusing precision and accuracy, going down to 0.1psi guarantees one but not the other…)

epicyclo

I want it precisely accurate 🙂

PTR
    Free Member

You want something like this,

http://www.itiuk.com/

The gauges are standard threads, take you 200psi gauge out of the trackpump, and put another one in.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

surely the one on CRC is about as accurate as you could get? cant see why you would need anymore than 0.1 psi more accurate than that?!?!?!

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m a professional measurement geek.

those 0.1psi gauges won’t be calibrated. it’s only a bit better than guessing what your tyre pressure is.

Didzy; your homework is to learn the difference between precision and accuracy.

(i also want a track pump with a low pressure gauge)

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I’m sure I tried my Oxford gauge against the dial one I have for the trials bike (6psi front, 4 psi rear and a small psi difference can be felt in the riding at times) and it was “accurate”. How exact does it have to be for a bike tyre? 4 to 5 psi is a big difference, 20 to 21 negligible in terms of what you can detect performance wise.

Tyre depots should have a calibrated master gauge which you could check against when next buying a car tyre.

The finer the gradations below 1 unit in my opinion then the less likely the reading is to be accurate – as someone hinted at above.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Where to get pressure gauge for low pressures’ is closed to new replies.