Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Where to get my bike serviced in Edinburgh?
  • webwonkmtber
    Free Member

I’m working in Edinburgh for a few weeks on a contract and I need to get my HT fettled. Need brakes etc done and I’m wondering where will be quickest/best/cost effective to get it done? Is the original shop at The Hub at Glentress still there?

Alternatively, are there any Edinburgh shops open beyond normal office/shop hours?

Thanks.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member
    webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Hmm, I don’t think I’ll manage to get there in time to drop it off or collect it.

No shops opening at 8am?

imnotverygood

http://www.thebicycleworks.co.uk/

Haven’t had any real problems with them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bicycleworks, Morchmont, opens 8-8 I think weekdays

I worked there about 10 years ago and the work was mostly of a high standard, albeit of course the odd error sliped through, as in every shop (before TJ comes out with his one-off story). I still know the guys there and would be surprised if things had slipped.

Prices were cheap then and I’d expect the same now. I wouldn’t recommend them out of favouritism.

Say Al sent you 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

7pm closing thusday and its worth emailing them.

Teh only other shop I would recomeend from personal experience is shorter opening times.

Bicycle works is recommended by many folk and is open till 8 every night however the twice I have had stuff done there it was unsatisfactory

http://www.thebicycleworks.co.uk/

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

100% Bicycle works.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TJ – cut brakes cables wasn’t it…was your internet persona in full swing at the time? 😉

Northwind

Bicycleworks or Bike chain for me, if in Edinburgh, Icycles if not. TBH most times I’ll use Icycles (that’d change if I was closed to Bike Chain)

webwonkmtber – Member

Is the original shop at The Hub at Glentress still there?

No but most of the staff have moved to the new place, and seem much happier there.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

A couple of people I know have stopped using Bicycle Works due to bad experiences, jobs not done properly and expensive parts replaced without checking with the owner first ie when something couldn’t be fixed. Stem bolts not tightened up. I always wondered if mistakes were more likely because the guys were having to work on bikes and work behind the till. Don’t know if they still do that.

coogan
    Free Member

bicycleworks I’m split about. Helped me out at the last minute a few years back before going away the next day with my bike to Canada and didn’t charge me either. Brilliant off them. Then there was the time they ordered and fitted a new rear mech and told me the hub was shagged as something was grinding. Turned out once I was on the bike that the chain was fitted over the small tab on the mech…

fatmax

I think The Bike Chain are great (just set up my new Scandal last week), but I’ve got mates that love the Bicycle Works too…

argyle
    Free Member
    stanfree
    Free Member

The guy in Newtongrange seems to be pretty good and cheap as well , never seems overly busy . Obviously Newtongrange is just outside Edinburgh but worth a look.

imnotverygood

Pedals is great but not for the early opning hours the OP requested.

argyle
    Free Member

Would stay open beyond if you asked nice though

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

There are some noticable absentee’s from the above recommendations I think.

My local is the Bike chain, and for odd hours Bicycleworks. Both have been very good to me.

We’re spoilt for choice really.

rickmeister

TBC for me, decided to support one shop in Edinburgh and Mark and the crew there have been ace. The bicycleworks at Argyle Place is a temple of odd… as in all those bits that you never thought you would find… they are just brilliant for this…

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Home

Do collection and delivery as well

bigjim

I am close to Pedals so use them rather than lug stuff across town to TBC, and rate them very highly. Again have found the bicycle works a bit mixed in the past, was put off them for a while a few years ago when there was a kid who looked about 13 working on the bikes, and the last time I went in last year or so, the guy, who to be fair I hadn’t seen working there before and may not still be there, clearly didn’t want to have to do anything to with fixing my bike, so I went elsewhere.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Where to get my bike serviced in Edinburgh?’ is closed to new replies.