Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Where to get coffee beans at a reasonable price……….bean to cup content
  • alibongo001

Hi All,
    I have recently bought a Delonghi Magnifica bean to cup coffee machine and am quite pleased with the results.

However finding a source of good coffee is proving more difficult than I thought. The supermarkets don’t seem to have many offerings and are at best expensive.

Looking around there are many boutique offerings at premium prices, what I am looking for is a reasonable priced offering of good (rather than boutique)coffee.

The best I have seen so far is Amazon with Lavazza red for £11.89 posted.

Can you improve on this offer all?
    Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Al.

bruneep

No local coffee shop

Try hasbean

TooTall
    Free Member

You need to try and find your local roaster. I’m paying about £11 / kg in Bristol for good beans direct from the roaster.

strackbaz
    Free Member

I buy direct from here http://www.tapacoffeehouse.com/roasterie/index.php. I’ve been buying the BCSA Espresso Blend in 250g bags for £5.65. It’s the bean they use in the shop and it’s a Kiwi owned establishment. They introduced the Flat White to Glasgow well before Startbucks & Costa.

They’re not the cheapest, but a bag lasts me 6 weeks, they also grind the beans for me FOC. You can buy in larger quantities for a cheaper price. I just bought a bag of their El Guabo yesterday, but I’ve still to try it.

atlaz
    Free Member

You’re looking at 15-20g of beans per cup. For work I buy at the local roaster (we have a few options here in Luxembourg) and have them grind it, for home I buy either at the same places or buy online and grind myself. I’m paying probably 20-30e a kilo for good beans but I buy in 250g or 500g bags to keep them a little fresher.

Favourites at the moment in the UK are:

Square Mile (not available direct, available online tho)
    Monmouth (obvious choice)
    Nude

MrSmith
    Free Member

but a bag lasts me 6 weeks

so a bit stale after 3-4 weeks?
    hasbean, climpson and sons, monmouth, bullet coffee. are where i buy from, think they all do mail order. usually pay £16-£22 a kilo though as cheaper stuff is usually offensive.

TooTall
    Free Member

usually pay £16-£22 a kilo though as cheaper stuff is usually offensive

You are either rather refined or happy to pay a lot! I’m getting Java and Monsoon Malabar for £11!

bone_idle
    Free Member

If you have a costco in easy reach they do some excellent beans called San Francisco bay Columbian supremo £9 for 900g bag, Due to turnover they are normaly only a few weeks from roasting so fresh enough.

Well worth a try

nacho
    Free Member

TooTall can I ask where you buy from?

bruneep

If you have a costco in easy reach they do some excellent beans called San Francisco bay Columbian supremo £9 for 900g bag, Due to turnover they are normaly only a few weeks from roasting so fresh enough.

Did try the costco coffee, thought it was a bit rank. Beans were very oily and a bit stale.

MrSmith
    Free Member

You are either rather refined or happy to pay a lot!

it’s peanuts compared to a crap £3.00 cup of brown water from a highstreet chain.
    i like good coffee and am happy to pay for it, have tried the cheaper stuff and it’s not a patch on monmouth/square mile etc.

alibongo001

Thanks for help gus.

It seems that £11 per kilo would be a good price for good quality beans and that anyting less is likely to be comprimisig on taste?

I would be keen to find out where tootall is getting his from!

Wil report back when I order some

Cheers
    Al

saleem
    Free Member

Try Cafe Lunico I think it’s called on Blackhorse Road, London, You’ll need to speak to Eva, I don’t know if you can buy small amounts but that’s who I use for coffee and Machines, You might have to buy a case though, we normaly take six cases as a time.

coffeeking
    Free Member

£11 per kilo works out at about 27p per cup assuming 25g per cup. Not really expensive, or surprising that coffee costing less tastes orrible?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Where to get coffee beans at a reasonable price……….bean to cup content’ is closed to new replies.