Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Where to eat in Birmingham when staying for work
  • swdan
    Free Member

Right, possibly a pointless thread as I’ll no doubt end up at a chain place anyway but I’m currently in Birmingham staying for one night for work.

I’ll be heading out in a bit to grab some food and will be dining alone. Does anyone have any recommendations for places that

A) don’t mind a single diner
    B) are pretty much chain prices to satisfy the expenses procedure
    C) within walking distance of New Street station

Looks like this could be a regular thing so happy to compile a list and work my way through them.

Cheers all

jamj1974

Original Patty Men. Shaws Passage – a 5 minute walk from New St. You have to like burgers though. Great burgers, a cariety of beers that look a bit hip and great beans. Probably about £12 – £15 for a meal and a drink.

nickdavies

Used to quite like to eat in Bacchus, it’s a bit different, pop down and you’ll see what I mean. General pub fare at pub prices. It’s in the Burlington arcade over the road from the station. There’s a Chinese on the other side of the station, down by the electric cinema. That’s quite good, not expensive but it’s proper Chinese so not for the tame.

Nip into the post office vaults for a couple of halves after.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

patty man not open on wednesdays.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i quite like the oldjointstock

http://www.oldjointstock.co.uk/

5 min walk from station.

swdan
    Free Member

Good suggestions, currently stood in the bullring reading them. Got excited about pattymen as I’d say burgers are my favourite food, still maybe next time

lunge

Nosh and Quaff – great burgers and ribs, crap name.
    Pure bar – good pub food, even better beer.
    Bodega – South American food, great little place
    Buffalo & Rye – burgers, beers, good stuff like that.
    Meat Shack also does a brilliant burger but like OPM is not open today but is tomorrow.

For more ideas head to http://www.independent-birmingham.co.uk/

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

0121 643 2546 – PATTY MIGHT BE OPEN? it says from Autumn?

somouk
    Free Member

Most of the eateries in the City are walking distance from New Street.

Nosh and Quaff may be a touch expensive for the expenses but is great food. If all else fails you could try walking over to Rub where they are a touch cheaper but the food is interesting.

Loads of places up on Brindley place, my favourite at the moment is Smoke Haus.

Also worth checking out the Chung Ying chinese on Colmore Row, always had good food in there.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I’ve heard good things about Tamatanga that has just opened near new street.

Try it out and report back.

swdan
    Free Member

Currently in Bacchus. Gothic but also playing motown and soul, interesting mix. Will see what the ale glazed chicken is like

swdan
    Free Member

Cheers, missed some of these before settling on something close (it’s a bit wet out). Still up here for 3 days in a couple of weeks so will sample more then

lunge

Tamatanga Is pretty good, foods good, good atmosphere and the atmospheres very good too. Worth a visit.

rOcKeTdOg

What’s the atmosphere like in Tamatanga?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

four goods in one sentence , so…i’d say there’s a good chance it’s pretty good 😛

swdan
    Free Member

I can report back that the chicken was ace. Let be honest, it’s a chain pub (Nicholsons) but half a chicken covered in a sticky beer glaze, chips, slaw and a side of onion rings was just what was in order. All washed down with two pints of Shed Seven branded golden ale (“Going for Gold” obviously), perfect for this wrong side of 35 90s indie kid

swdan
    Free Member

And it sounds like Tamatanga is top of the list for next time. Cheers STW

jamj1974

Apologies for getting your hopes up swdan.

swdan
    Free Member

No worries there’s always next time. Might have some colleagues with me then as well so good to appear knowledgeable

lunge

Tamatanga Is pretty good, foods good, good atmosphere and the atmospheres very good too. Worth a visit.

Well, this is what happens when you type whilst doing other things at the same time.
    To add to the above, perhaps more coherently, lovely place, good service and lively too. The food is curry based, there’s a cracking platter type affair where you can try 6 or 7 small dishes off the menu which was is worth a look, cocktails are are pretty good too.

rOcKeTdOg

But what of the atmosphere?

jamj1974

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    But what of the atmosphere?

Forget the atmosphere – he likes Shed Seven! Most excellent!

rOcKeTdOg

[video]https://youtu.be/RFPLk5mJ1D4[/video]

swdan
    Free Member

I know rocketdogs comment was aimed at lunge (or at least I think it was) but I did mean to add a comment about Bacchus.

Set in the vaults of the Burlington hotel it has a certain gothic appearance to it, added to by slightly danteish murals when you head down to the door and the candles you can see inside. I was expecting something like the Pit and Pendulum in Nottingham, a fine place to have a beer with some mates, not necessarily the plave to go for a quiet meal for one after a day in the office. However, upon opening the door I was greeted by the sounds of Elton John’s Tiny Dancer which calmed the nerves. I not a massive Elton fan but the man knows how to write a catchy pop song. He was closely followed by various soul and Motown songs, perfect background music which gets you tapping you feet before you realise.

All in all, I could have stayed for another beer (and added to Rick Witters pension fund no doubt) but two was enough for me on a school night in a strange town on my own

All in all, not what you’d expect from the entrance which may disappoint some but actually had my slightly relieved.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

A mate of mine once walked slap-bang into the massive mirror in Bacchus, in the mistaken belief that it was a portal to hitherto unexplored corners of the building

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

A) don’t mind a single diner
    B) are pretty much chain prices to satisfy the expenses procedure
    C) within walking distance of New Street station

Sounds like Chinatown could be right up your alley?

swdan
    Free Member

So, was up here again tonight but this time had a few colleagues with me so thought it was time to give Tamatanga a go. In the immortal words of lunge…

I must say, I had the platter and couldn’t really want for any more food. Everyone in the group liked it and I’d say it was definitely on the possible list for a return visit. Although possibly not tomorrow… Where to go on a Wednesday night?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I myself tried tamatanga on the recco here, had their lunch deal a drink and a curry for less than £9 very nice it was too.

Maybe try a pie at the Old joint stock? followed by a cocktail at the alchemist , out the door turn left, turn right. 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Where to eat in Birmingham when staying for work’ is closed to new replies.