Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Where to buy laptop
  • bikemonkey
    Free Member

Following a beverage incident last night, I think I’ll need to replace my laptop. Other than Dell or putting myself in the hands of the Saturday boy at PC World, where should I look for a PC laptop?

Although I love Apple, I don’t want a Macbook as I don’t think it will be compatible with all the files I’ve got on my PC.

Thanks

_tom_
    Free Member

Comet were doing a really good deal on an Acer at the start of the month. £370 for a great spec. No dedicated graphics but it had an i3 processor, 4gb ram, large hdd, hdmi output etc.

Macbook might be compatible with your stuff, what kind of files are they? Although I think the Acer is a better spec than most lower end macbooks and half te price 😛

trailmonkey

as someine who has owned both pc and mac, i think you’re making the right choice re the macbook. you could always turn your mac into a pc freindly machine but there are cheaper ways of achieving the same result – buy a pc.

as far as that goes – just go to pc world/comet/curry’s with a clear idea of exactly what your system requirements are and then buy a named, branded machine that meets the criteria.

as for the ‘saturday boy’ – not half as bad as the pushy assistant mananger, desperately fighting his way up the greasy pole – just tell him what you want, stick to it and talk over him abruptly if he tries any sales spiel or sucks in through his teeth at your suggestions.

I’ve always looked at PC World online, found a decent specced laptop that I like the look of, made sure it’s got at least £100 knocked off rrp, looked at some online reviews and then ordered online.

I’ve got a cracking HP Pavilion 17″ LED screened machine that suits my needs for £150 less than it was originally.

catfood
    Free Member

Carfone Warehouse do surprisingly good deals on laptops.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Hmm, There’s a DELL Inspiron N5010 which looks quite good for £600 at PC World.

My one and only Dell was a right shonky POS – it was a works provided laptop and a basic Inspiron and this was a good few years ago mind you.

orena45

Check out Argos too. I just picked up a Samsung X120 for a shade over £300 – it’s about £430 at most other places including Play.com which is usually quite cheap.

nuke

John Lewis….might not seem an obvious choice but they have a decent range and the customer service is excellent imo

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

EBuyer usually has the best deals.

tinribz
    Free Member

Sansburys have a Median with an Core i5 processor for a monkey. If you can find one in stock.

momo

MY last 2 have both come from PC world, the latest is a Sony vaio F-series that had about £450 knocked off it. I went in there looking for a certain spec and looked at everything they had in store, also went into comet and currys too as they’re all on the same retail park in Lincoln.

crazy-legs

When I was looking for my new laptop a couple of years ago I found this place:
    http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/

Spoke to them on the phone and they sounded very good, I was actually planning to buy from there but then saw the same computer in Currys in Manchester (more expensive) so I went in, showed him the price online and they matched it and did a good discount on the software too.

Mine is an Acer, it seemed to have a much better spec for the price than most other brands. Don’t get Dell, they’re awful – I know several people with Dell laptops and they’ve all gone wrong, the customer service seems to be very shonky too. Not personal experience, just anecdotal evidence from friends.

_tom_
    Free Member

We’ve always had Dells in our house, they’re not that bad. Currently posting from a 4 year old one, although I have just had to replace the lid as the hinges in the old one got nackered. £35 though and that’s the only maintenance its needed in the 4 years.

matt_outandabout

John Lewis….might not seem an obvious choice but they have a decent range and the customer service is excellent imo

And an extra years warranty as well. And PRICE MATCH!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Where to buy laptop’ is closed to new replies.