Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Where to buy 5 mm plywood?
  • chorlton
    Free Member

I’m doing some work on the caravan and I’m after some thin sheets of ply. Think it’s about 5 mm. Found a couple of places on t’internet but wondered if anyone could recommend a North West supplier.
    Also after thin sheets of insulation board as well. Had some makers names in mind but I’ve forgotten what they were. Ta

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A flooring supplies place will sell 8×4 sheets (and often 4×2, so quarter size) of 5.5mm ply, at an economical price. Hopefully they’ll serve Joe Public. Search to see if there’s a company called Carpet and Flooring anywhere near.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Depends what you mean by North west

Berrys in Leyland

http://www.cwberry.com/Timber/plywood.aspx

http://www.cwberry.com/ProductCat.aspx?TreeNodeId=72ed7cd3-ad66-44d7-a222-6388f6b3a07e

FWIW i think you can only get 4 or 6 mm and not 5 mm

Might want to be more specific

project
    Free Member

B and Q and most stores will cut to size

maccruiskeen

Anything sold as 6mm is usually really 5 or 5.5mm. (Wholesalers will call it 5.5mm, retailers will call it 6mm) You can get that in any timber yard or from B&Q

For something that needs to be light and structural then bog standard 6mm far eastern ply might not be that useful – it tends to be one thick ply and two paper thin decorative faces. Birch ply (not birch faced ply) would give you several equal thickness plys. Birch ply is a little more difficult to find and perhaps 2 or 3 times the price) but any timber yard should be able to order it in for you

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

B&Q are bloody expensive for sheet materials. OP, if you know anyone with a Selco card, they also do 8×4 of 5.5/6mm.

As JY said, 5mm is a bit non-standard.

maccruiskeen

B&Q are bloody expensive for sheet materials

they’re bad for timber lengths or partial sheets, but for full 8x4s, particularly if you buy 5 or more sheets they’re not far off the money – you can potentially pay more in a trade timber yard if you’re only buying 2 or 3 sheets and they don’t know your face. (Or if its Jewsons they seem to just treble a price if the wind changes direction)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Or Travis…the robbing bar stewards. You’re prob right about large sheets from B&Q, I just never shop there for materials anymore, except in an emergency.

thepurist

If you’re after a few sheets call round your local timber yards and builders merchants and see if they’ll beat each other’s price. Saved a few quid when I was after about 20 sheets a while back

maccruiskeen

except in an emergency.

I’m forced to unfortunately – phone calls on friday afternoons for jobs that need to on camera on monday morning…. ‘but we don’t have the drawings for you yet’. Thankfully being north of the border sunday trading laws are more relaxed.

chorlton
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Thought it was about 5mm could be 5.5 or 6. For some reason I didn’t think the likes of B&Q did sheets so thin. Will have a look tomorrow. Thanks

Rubber_Buccaneer

Or Travis

I hate Travis. They are total robbing bastards. They have a yard less than a mile from me but if I use them you know I’m desperate. I can order from a third party online who Travis then deliver for at a significantly lower price.

Junkyard
    Free Member

B & Q are expensive for almost everything IME

maccruiskeen

Unless one has an exclusive little card that allows you to use the trade mans entrance (so to speak). But for joe public – expensive for almost everything except sheet timbers and power tools

chickenman

Birch ply 6mm is usually 6.5mm however.

. What 20 wood screws for £4.00? It’s not as if you can’t buy a box of 200 from a merchants for the same price….oh, hang on a sec….

properbikeco
    Free Member

any timber merchant will do that – just find your local

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Where to buy 5 mm plywood?’ is closed to new replies.