Thanks for all the advice - I went up over the bank holiday. Left the car in Golden Acre Park, then jumped on the road bike and did some serious miles all over the place.
Lovely weather, lovely surroundings, great ride.
1. Otley is a bit far for daily commute and there's a massive hill between there and Leeds.
2. Bramhope is about as for north as I'd go, and has a nice pub.
3. Adel would be spot-on.
4. Alwoodley looks nice.
5. Cookridge also ok. Although a corsa full of chavs tried to take me out there, and from what they were yelling I got the impression they didn't believe I should be using their road. Better impressions on the return journey.
6. Horsforth a bit far out - long slog on the ring road is tedious.
7. Chapel Allerton upandcoming, but a bit urban for me.
8. The climb up to the top of Chevin from Otley is VERY steep, but the 99 at the top was the best tasting ever! (and coming back down is fun)
9. When in lovely friendly Leeds pubs, my softy southern accent becomes ridiculously exaggerated
10. Estate Agents have a somewhat different idea of where different areas start/end to the map.
Upshot is anything north of the ring road up A660 looks favourite. I now have a feel for where things are when I look on rightmove.
I've now accepted my place at Leeds!! (swapping from v. excited to cacking it now!) Hopefully meet up with some of you in September!
Mrs F - I met a nice girl in Headingly, road rider, but wants to do some offroad. She's been riding with some guys but they seem intent on showing off and injuring themselves rather than helping build her confidence. I wondered if a new riding partner who wants to take it easy to gain some confidence might help you enjoy riding again? Could pass on your details if you like?