Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Where should I live near Leeds?
  • stuckinarut
    Free Member

Well, it looks like I will be moving to Leeds come September to start my MSc. 😀

Heading up there this weekend to see my cousin’s band, but thought I would stay up a couple of days to recce the area.

So where should I look?

I want to be within cycling distance of uni, and within reach of the Dales for riding – so anywhere from Headingly up as far up as Otley looks good. Not looking for student digs, want a nice house to rent; ideally somewhere a bit rural and within reach of some good local riding.

All suggestions gratefully received! Thanks!

twohats
    Free Member

You’re looking at the right area already!
    Adel, Cookridge, Bramhope, Horsforth, Alwoodley and such like are all good places to start looking…

MRanger156
    Free Member

As above, definately north leeds. Some of those places above are pretty pricey mind.

Chapel Allerton if you want to be closer to the centre and have local pubs.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I would err towards the Otley side myself – much more rural and within sensible riding distance of the Uni as well as being nice n close to Stainburn for when you want to play. Also house prices (rent and buy) are better than some of the places named above (Bramhope especially).

It does have some pretty ropey pubs though!

mrsflash
    Free Member

What twohats said.

The people in the Alwoodley area particularly are lovely 😉

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Horsforth definitely – reasonably short bike commute to the uni, plus you’re right by the A65 to take you out north-east to all that lovely dales riding. Rawdon/Yeadon/Guisley are also ok, but a bit further out on the A65 (so longer commute to uni).

twohats
    Free Member

It does have some pretty ropey pubs though!

View from the bar…

Otley does have a reputation for its fight friendly pubs!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I would say Otley-end is the closest to the Dales.YORKSHIRE!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh – I do recall one trip to Otley. It was about 6pm on a ‘school’ night (albeit mid Christmas party season) and the amount of people I saw staggering around, throwing up/p*ssing in the street, fighting etc was shocking.

I do remember The Junction being a great pub though. 🙂

Also Otley has Chevin cycles. 🙂

stuckinarut
    Free Member

Also Otley has Chevin cycles.

And a commute past Stif everyday! Must resist. I will be a (albeit mature, self-funding) student. I should not buy the Orange 5 🙂

Thanks for suggestions so far all! I’m getting quite excited about the move, even tho it’s still a while off yet.

Daft thing is, I could pretty much live anywhere, but I’m more worried about the green space for my cats to run about in, and small mammals to massacre.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Stif – I would suggest you keep on cycling.

Maybe it has changed recently but after my experiences with them around 5 or 6 years ago, I would never shop there again.

twohats
    Free Member

Stif – I would suggest you keep on cycling.

Maybe it has changed recently but after my experiences with them around 5 or 6 years ago, I would never shop there again.

Its changed a lot for the better since then, mainly as DT, the old manager left around then!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well that is good ‘cos I remember it when it was in the old shack around the corner before they went all big time and couldn’t be ar*ed unless you were spending big money. Ohh, and try to charge £10 for old bike boxes that they were throwing out.

Might even dare nip in again sometime :-O

stuckinarut
    Free Member

Update time!

Thanks for all the advice – I went up over the bank holiday. Left the car in Golden Acre Park, then jumped on the road bike and did some serious miles all over the place.

Lovely weather, lovely surroundings, great ride. 😀

Conclusions:
    1. Otley is a bit far for daily commute and there’s a massive hill between there and Leeds.
    2. Bramhope is about as for north as I’d go, and has a nice pub.
    3. Adel would be spot-on.
    4. Alwoodley looks nice.
    5. Cookridge also ok. Although a corsa full of chavs tried to take me out there, and from what they were yelling I got the impression they didn’t believe I should be using their road. Better impressions on the return journey.
    6. Horsforth a bit far out – long slog on the ring road is tedious.
    7. Chapel Allerton upandcoming, but a bit urban for me.
    8. The climb up to the top of Chevin from Otley is VERY steep, but the 99 at the top was the best tasting ever! (and coming back down is fun)
    9. When in lovely friendly Leeds pubs, my softy southern accent becomes ridiculously exaggerated 🙄
    10. Estate Agents have a somewhat different idea of where different areas start/end to the map.

Upshot is anything north of the ring road up A660 looks favourite. I now have a feel for where things are when I look on rightmove.

I’ve now accepted my place at Leeds!! (swapping from v. excited to cacking it now!) Hopefully meet up with some of you in September!

Mrs F – I met a nice girl in Headingly, road rider, but wants to do some offroad. She’s been riding with some guys but they seem intent on showing off and injuring themselves rather than helping build her confidence. I wondered if a new riding partner who wants to take it easy to gain some confidence might help you enjoy riding again? Could pass on your details if you like?

mrsflash
    Free Member

wow fast mover, chatting up the local ladies already! 😉 Yes, feel free to give her my email if you want.

I think you’ve summed up the areas pretty well! Adel, Alwoodley & Cookridge are all good places to properly look. Did you look at Roundhay /Moortown / Oakwood at all? They might all be a bit close in for you though, if Chapel A is too urban. I do like how near the edge of town we are.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

6. Horsforth a bit far out – long slog on the ring road is tedious.

Just remember once you know your way around you can avoid most of the ring road – as that does take you the long way round

RicB

Think about train stations too – will save you a fortune in taxis if you go out in town a lot. Bus services in Leeds are rubbish and expensive imo, although the services to Headingley and Kirkstall are ok from town.

Headingley is a nightmare at rush hour so even if you cycle home you won’t find it easy to drive out to a ride spot.

Horsforth has a train station and also has enough pubs and restaurants to keep you happy for a while 🙂

Bramhope is great but very expensive. Fox & Hounds is a fantastic pub though.

Estate Agents have a somewhat different idea of where different areas start/end to the map

lol – They can get away with this because the post codes are the same. I was once shown a flat in ‘Chapel Allerton’ that was pretty much in the middle of Chapeltown (don’t live there!)

Alwoodley used to be nice till the Flashes moved in 😉

pstokes99
    Free Member

Lived in Alwoodley for about three years (was in Moortown before that)- and entirely agree with what RicB said (save the comment about the Flashes).

I’m not originally from this part of the world and there is no doubt that Leeds (probably West Yorks in general) is really friendly and there is plenty of riding anywhere in North and North West of Leeds.

Where you might end up will be largely detirmined by budget; I’d happily move to Bramhope – if only I could afford it.

Dylan08
    Free Member

Was the girl you met in Headingly by any chance called Helen?? 😉

twohats
    Free Member

Horsforth a bit far out – long slog on the ring road is tedious.

Just remember once you know your way around you can avoid most of the ring road – as that does take you the long way round

Aye, Horsforth runs up to the back of Cookridge, so depending on where you are there is no need to go along the ring road, head to Cookridge, drop down into Horsforth.

mrsflash
    Free Member

yeah well ric you bring the tone of horsforth down very nicely so ner.

stuckinarut
    Free Member

Dylan08 – Member

Was the girl you met in Headingly by any chance called Helen??

Nope. Dylan have you been trying to impress this Helen with your skillz and landing flat on your face then? 😉
    (will pass on your email Mrs F, I’m sure she’d appreciate another girlie to ride with)

Chapeltown (don’t live there!)

Yes, I’ve already been warned Chapel A = Good; Chapeltown = veery different place. 😆

I’m feeling excited about my move again now 🙂 Roll on September.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Let us know when you move up and we can organise some trail showing activities.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

Sheffield

unsponsored
    Free Member

Horsforth, Rawdon, Yeadon, Rodley. All great. Spent 4yrs in Horsforth at Trinity and All Saints College.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Please look at Saltaire !

15 mins to Leeds by train, 50 minute cycle along along the Leeds Liverpool canal. Some of the best riding in Yorkshire on your doorstep…

Then theres the local pubs which have some of the best real ale in Yorkshire too! What more could you want?

djglover
    Free Member

Chapel Allerton if you want to be burgled regularly.

ton

rothwell is a nice spot too…..cos i live here….. 😀

johnhoo
    Free Member

also bear in mind the further north/west you go the better the trails drain in winter.
    For that reason we tend to avoid riding anywhere east of Eccup when it gets claggy.

IMO some of the best all-year riding in the area is around Bingley, Shipley, Baildon, Guiseley – bigger hills, less clay.

Also, Guiseley, Menston, Ilkley, Shipley, Saltaire & Bingley are all on direct train lines from Leeds; Baildon is halfway between Guiseley & Shipley

Also, Shipley, Bingley, Saltaire, Baildon come under Bradford so the house prices are lower than Leeds, as is the council tax; they’re all also on the Leeds & Liverpool canal so off-road bike commute into Leeds is easily doable.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Roundhay? From Oakwood and around the park area. ………and yeah, I live around there – very pleasant.

el_boufador

Aye all the best places are mentioned in this thread.

Go North West for if you want local access to trails that hold up better during the winter and also access to more trails locally, but pay the price in traffic if driving (which might not matter to you!)

Go North East for good summer trails that get too muddy to ride in the depths of winter, but the upside is less congested access out of Leeds if driving.

Go to North Bradford if you want even more betterer local trails that hold up well during winter and you can stand the longer commute and traffic into Leeds.

(I live in Oakwood in NE leeds)

Philby

As someone born and bred in Bramhope I’m not sure if I moved back to Leeds I would want to live there, unless you are a family with young kids. There are a limited number of shops and one pub, unless you include the Dynley Arms as well.

I would recommend Horsforth, which is easily commutable for the Uni and has loads of local facilities such as shops, pubs and a train station, and you don’t need to use the ring road to get to the Uni. Other places I would suggest are Weetwood or the nicer parts of Meanwood, both of which are handy for Meanwood Woods where there are a few trails. Holt Park might offer a cheaper way to live in the posh Adel area.

johnhoo
    Free Member

Also, Shipley, Bingley, Saltaire, Baildon come under Bradford so the house prices are lower than Leeds, as is the council tax

oops. forgot to mention that, although Ilkley comes under Bradford, so its council tax should be lower than Leeds, the house prices more than make up for that 😉

is the ‘new’ Dynly(sp) Arms open to the public? Looks a bit, er, unadvertised…

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Pudsey not a bad place – good off road riding on your doorstep easy access to the dales for darkside rides – easy access to city center & uni(s)

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Where should I live near Leeds?’ is closed to new replies.