Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Where should I go with 6 days off and a car? This weekend…
  • psychle
    Free Member

Looks like heading up to Scotland might be a poor idea, so now wondering what else we can do? Thought of maybe jumping on the ferry (£100 return) and heading over to Europe for a few days, but never driven over there and have no idea what it'll cost or be like… what do you guys reckon could be a good itinerary?

All suggestions welcomed… can't cancel the car hire, it's a non-refundable dealio, so need to use it!

alfabus
    Free Member

does the car hire allow you to go abroad?

Dave

psychle
    Free Member

I think if we pay a supplemant it will…

iDave
    Free Member

go to cornwall and learn to surf

toys19
    Free Member

You coudl do every trail centre in wales, or cross exmoor and dartmoor.

Oh to be YFS with money.

molgrips
    Free Member

Right, 6 days is enough.. jump in the car NOW, get over to France and hit the Autoroute du Sud.. You could be in the Med in 2 days 🙂

EDIT: Checked the weather – it's warm but rainy there..

freeridenick
    Free Member

skiing in the alps….

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>skiing in the alps…. <

or skiing in Scotland – should be plenty of fresh pow after tonight 🙂

nbt

Go skiing in scotland – I would if I could. COnditions are going to be bloody AWESOME, especially compared to the alps where a so-so season has been badly affected (in places) over the past weeks by rainstorms and high temperatures

psychle
    Free Member

you know what, I reckon that might be the way to go… if we can get up there in a normal car! will we need snow chains or somesuch?

nbt

It might be advisable, and you;ll stand a better chance of picking them up in the south of england than you will as you get closer to the snow. might be worth having a peek over on snowheads.com, there's a thread goin there about skiing cairngorm at easter that might help

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Go skiing in scotland – I would if I could. COnditions are going to be bloody AWESOME, especially compared to the alps where a so-so season has been badly affected (in places) over the past weeks by rainstorms and high temperatures

I'd go to the alps. There's more snow forecast there, a better base in the high resorts and longer runs.
    If I live further north, scotland sounds fun though

psychle
    Free Member

we're not skiers tbh, this'd be our first time in fact, so Scotland is probably a good start, most likely we'll be toboganning 😆

Shall try to pick up some snow chains down here.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I very nuch doubt there will be serious issues with the roads.

Keep an eye on the webcams. http://trafficscotland.org/lev/?mi=4

Drumochter is clear as is edinburgh bypass

trail_rat
    Free Member

id check your hire T&C re snowchains and going on those roads ….

Esp if your not used to driving on them

ourmaninthenorth

Right, forget skiing. It's a bourgeois sport anyway.

Take the ferry to Belgium. This weekend is the Tour of Flanders.

Take your road bike (or a MTB). Go to Ninove (between Gent and Brussels). Sign up on Saturday morning for the sportive, and ride whatever you want (various distances). Finish the sportive and drink beer and eat chips.

Sunday, join what feels like the entire Flemish nation watching the Pros race from Bruges, via Ostend and 15 hideously steep, cobbled bergs, covered in filth through Geraardsbergen to Ninove. Drink more beer and eat more chips.

I promise. You'll love it.

😀

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Forget the chains – you wont need them!

Forecast more settled from Friday

Dont listen to the naesayers – no reason to change your plans because of a wee bit of snow…

psychle
    Free Member

yeah, 'tis all good, we'll head north and take our chances, I'm sure we'll have a bonnie old time 🙂 Hopefully there'll be lot's of snow in the Highlands to make it all purty like 🙂

Marge
    Free Member

Weather forecast for Belgium is not great to be honest.
    Rather damp & windy….
    But:
    if you like that sort of thing it's a huge weekend for cycling over here.
    There is also a MTB tour (up to 100km) as part of the tourist Tour of Flanders.
    I'm riding the 150km road tour on my MTB with slicks.

freeridenick
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – and mtb biking isn't bourgeois!
    skiing -winter
    biking -summer
    best of both worlds

molgrips
    Free Member

Downhill skiing is anathema to me. Getting ferried up the mountain in a machine just to slide down? All reward and no input.. makes me feel like a spoiled kid!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Where should I go with 6 days off and a car? This weekend…’ is closed to new replies.