Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Where shall I disappear to?
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

So I’m recently single, footloose and fancy free. No kids only the dog who MUST come with me. My parents have retired to France so apart from my brother, who I dont get on with especially well, I have no family to worry about. The house I bought with my OH has sold so I have 10K coming back to me. The company have recently announced 200-250 redundancies and even if it doesnt hit me the end of my career training/new qualification is approaching. Im thinking of upping sticks and relocating somewhere….. but where?! I’m only renting with a 6 month contract so that and the qual would end around the same time. Has anybody done it and regretted it? Not necessarily abroad but I’m not averse to the idea?! The career doesnt matter so much as Im not very career driven and as long as I make enough to get by I’m happy.

darrell
    Free Member

Todmorden

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’m sure you get some offers from folk on here…

I’m in an almost completely opposite situation and I can’t even begin to think what to advise. but Sounds like you have pretty much every option open to you. Hope you enjoy whatever and where ever it all takes you 🙂

cloudnine
    Free Member

New Zealand or Canada

breadcrumb

Somewhere with great outdoors? Peaks, Lakes, Highlands etc?

yunki
    Free Member

Not New Zealand! I’ve just come back from there and it’s pretty dull underneath it’s spectacular appearance

mikey74
    Free Member

How old are you and what do you do? It will have a bearing on going overseas.

Houns

Devon or the Highlands

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Wales we’ve got the lot

_tom_
    Free Member

Canada! I did a summer in Whistler a few years ago and it was amazing. Would love to live there and I’ve been pining for it ever since 🙁 hoping to get a few more years experience in my work then try again in Vancouver or something.

maxtorque

Somewhere in the Alps? Ski a bit, ride a bit, enjoy life! Not sure what’s you’d do for a job? Maybe run someone else’s Chalet etc?

MoreCashThanDash

Swap you that problem for a mortgage free house, partner and two kids!

Where have you visited that made you wonder what it would be like to live there? Then go try it!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Canada.

tomhoward

What, err, Tom said.

bigjim

French Alps, I’m in a similar situation but lacking the balls to do it.

lunge

New Zealand is where I would go. There or a tiny village in the arse end of the Alps.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Do you like beards? Syria?

nach
    Free Member

Go wherever you can do the stuff you love more.

I ended up in a similar situation, living somewhere flat, feeling kind of flat, and freelance work depending on not much more than internet and the ability to travel. I moved to Calderdale after looking for places in the UK with decent public transport and where I could mountain bike without needing a car. Worked out pretty well 🙂

bigblackshed

New Zealand or Austrailia. Canada gets very cold in the winter.

The company I work for has a plant in Edmonton. I’ve been twice, summer and winter. The summer was fantastic, but the locals did confess that it’s only snow and cold free for 4 months a year. The winter visit coincided with a winter storm. 2m of snow fell over night and it didn’t get above -25.

sierrakilo
    Free Member

Campervan………..then you can move around to yours hearts content

andyl
    Free Member

Campervan + dog + bike = road trip across Europe, earn as you go.

If you are a loose end at any point over summer then you are both welcome to pop by down here for a holiday. Although I am very concerned at how much you will show me up on a bike!

iolo
    Free Member

I went to Vienna. I absolutely love it. I should have gone years ago.
    You have Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia all within1.5 hours. Italy is 4 hours.
    Austria has amazing skiing and mountain biking and the health system is much much better than UK.
    It’s a very dog friendly city with many dog zones and your never far away from the Vienna woods.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

the Highlands

magic if you like beautiful scenery and alcohol by the bucket

wilburt
    Free Member

Man cannot live by mountain alone, at some point your gonna need some company.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve been lucky enough to travel a lot in my life, but I choose to live less than 20 miles from where I was born – so it must be good 😉

Ive thought long and hard about upping sticks – I don’t like anywhere else in the UK enough to leave Cardiff, it’s got the right mix of city for work opportunities and country for the sort of lifestyle I want, I’m not saying it’s better than other places with the same sort of mix, but it’s already home and nothing else is so much better I’d move.

I loved my time in Oz, but once it stopped being a holiday and I started to ‘live’ there it lost some shine – Sydney is great to look at, but like other big business and financial hubs it’s a highly competitive, ruthless environment and stupidly expensive to live – once you get out of the city and into the burbs it’s less stunning and like anywhere else really – plus despite what it looks like on Telly Sydney and Melbourne are miserable, drizzly places all winter. Out of the main cities there’s almost no work for someone like me.

Canada was amazing, but Vancouver is just as ‘big city’ as Sydney and London for that matter, but even more expensive and more cold and miserable all winter and like Oz to get a visa is hard and expensive.

Both my Wife and I would love to move to France, we both love the lifestyle, we actually like all the ‘daft’ things they do like close for hours in the middle of the day and all day Sunday, it shows itself as a place where you don’t have to be ashamed the say I live to work, not work to live – but, we both speak enough French to get by, we’d starve waiting to learn it well enough to work there.

corroded
    Free Member

That’s an enviable position. I’m almost in the same one, just minus dog and with a job that I’m reluctant to relinquish. But in your shoes… I’d go somewhere to learn a new skill, using my hands not just for typing. Bill Buford (food journo) went to Tuscany to learn to cook for six months. Make it an adventure where you come away with something. House-building, cooking, mechanics, whatever – just somewhere amazing. I’d probably try cooking in San Sebastián.

samunkim
    Free Member

Croatia

hammy7272
    Free Member

Campervan for me, the open road. Just keep on rolling until you stick somewhere.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I’m 32, worked in education for the last two years and will be a trained careers advisor when I leave.

There is a job advertised for St Andrews Uni, Fife so that could be good. Scotland is a place that since a child I’ve said I’d love to retire to, maybe I shouldnt wait until then. I could easily move to France and live with my parents, I’d then have 10k to last me til I learnt to speak French…. but I’m not sure I’d be able to get a job in France with that knowledge of the language.

Im renewing Zivas pet passport soon for a week away to see my parents and I’ve always wanted to tour around Europe, I may do that for a month before I decide what to do.

andyl
    Free Member

I could easily move to France and live with my parents, I’d then have 10k to last me til I learnt to speak French

Start an internet based company you can do from france with no language hindrance? Or see if you can find a job that lets you work from home in france.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Yeah that would be a fantastic idea… just need to find one or come up with one!

Trekster

Slovenia if I was in your position even at my age….my daughter is your age with 2 kids and she and partner have considered Dubia!! She is a primary teacher and he is a rising management type in civil service with a law degree(she in art/material design)
    Been to Canada(central-North), not convinced! Old colleague has gone & stayed but his wife got work long before he did!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Abroad, same shit different weather (speaking from the other side of the world)
    Best job with proximity to good riding where you can afford to live somewhere nice and make good friends.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Your dog is called Ziva? Not as in Ziva David? 🙂

Trekster

What mike ^^^^^ says! even if you do move anywhere else in UK as my daughter has found out 🙄

Trekster

Ziva 😆

jools182
    Free Member

I’d love to go and live in France, but I’ve no idea what work I could get there

I don’t earn enough to save up anything either

If you come up with a cunning plan, let me know

The 10k you’re getting could be a useful way to get settled somewhere and learn the language

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

There is a job advertised for St Andrews Uni, Fife so that could be good. Scotland is a place that since a child I’ve said I’d love to retire to,

St Andrews is a suburb of England. On the plus side, as a career advisor, you’re unlikely to be able to affford English property prices so will have to commute from Scotland, which is much nicer.

MrOvershoot

P-Jay – Member

Both my Wife and I would love to move to France, you don’t have to be ashamed to say I live to work, not work to live – but, we both speak enough French to get by,

Think you might have that round the wrong way?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can’t believe we’ve got this far into the thread without anyone recommending Swindon!

😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Where shall I disappear to?’ is closed to new replies.