Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 176 total)
  • Where is the dullest place you've ever been Mountain Biking?
  • scruff
    Free Member

Deffo Cannock Chase off piste, just don't bother.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

the marin is positively mind boggling when compared to the murray monster trails.

my god they're awful.

shite surface, shite design, shite jumps, shite off camber corners straight after the shite jumps so that if you want to enjoy the jump (if you actually manage to find a lip off the jump) you have to brake as hard as you can just before the corner cos there is no way to get round them at any speed.

its just shite.

i also find any kenny wilson induced push through a bog dull (despite what all his fan boys say)

hainey
    Free Member

What a bunch of miserable ****'s!!

Riding is riding, enough said.

I lived for a number of years in essex for my sins, thought the mountain biking was sh*te, but then i actually got an OS map out and found that i could cover probably 4 times the normal distance due to there being no hills and with some careful planning put in a ride which took in woodland, farmland, coastal paths and some great little pubs if the mood took me.

Biking is what YOU make of it.

Similar with the likes of Cannock, you don't go there expecting sweet alpine singletrack, but step it up a a gear and a couple of fast laps with a Tea and cake stop in the middle makes a great fun late afternoon ride.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Personally, I like Cannock's Red Route.
    There's more to come soon with Phase 2 being opened soon.

Just avoid the busy times of the day and seasons for a less congested ride. Love the swoopy section above the lakes!

Sandwich

Plop pants last time I used my Garmin at Thetford on the black I recorded about 300m of climbing for the loop, which isn't too shonky for a flat as a pancake short loop. By comparison the red at Glentress came in at about 700m (not too sure of the exact figures as I lost the records when the laptop HD was changed).
    As many others have said above it's all good even a couple of miles into town for coffee can be fun.

ac282

All these flat forests aren't necessariyl dull, you just have to know where the best riding is and be going quickly to enjoy them.
    eg. I liked the crouse for the Gorrick 100 but when I went back by myself I couldn't find anywhere near as much good stuff.

rootes1

Labyrinth at swinley is quite fun, best thing is that it is not too far from home – rest is a bit tamer, but still a nice place to go for a ride especially off peak or to pop across from other spots near tunnel hill etc

hora
    Free Member

Hora must be getting sensible in his old age

I am going to be a Dad soon afteral.

james-o
    Free Member

"flamejob – if those 2 photos are typical of the riding you do no wonder you think Swinley is exciting "

But do you know what's on the other side of the climb on the lower picture…? fast, rocky and a lot of fun. the climb's nice too, pic just doesn't show it well.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Grizedale is probably the worst trail centre I've been to.

I always laugh when Grizedale gets slagged off, as it's stuffed with excellent tracks – you just have to ignore any of the markers 🙂

MrOvershoot

simonfbarnes – Member
    I always laugh when Grizedale gets slagged off, as it's stuffed with excellent tracks – you just have to ignore any of the markers

Agree its great for linking other stuff up and if you finish back at the VC you have some facility.

jimmy

Riding is riding, enough said.

Bullshit.

Did a loop round Peebles a couple of years back – I'd rather have been at my Nan's bingo club. Granted being out on the bike in nice weather always has a plus side, but that was just gratuitous amounts of boredom.

Amos
    Free Member

I thought Swinley was massivley over rated when I first went, I then went with a friend who grew up round there and knew it like the back of his hand and got say I was impressed plenty of flowy single track Ok it's not Whistler but it's 20 miles from me and I always come back content!

hainey
    Free Member

Bullshit.

Its what you make of it i guess. If you're not willing to make the most of it then you will always be miserable.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Jimmy, I'll raise you the utter tedium known as the Jedburgh Justice trails.

ads-b
    Free Member

I may have missed it but..

I'm shocked Mach 1, 2 + 3 hasnt been put on here. Hours of riding (up)through grassy fields to be followed by a 5 min gravel path down billed as 'extreme'. Then a huge decent on a road.

Total dissapointment.

p.s. The Climax is fantastic

compositepro
    Free Member

CUT GATE

robdob
    Free Member

Hora must be getting sensible in his old age; when time is limited and you need some concentrated good riding you need more than a plank on bricks at the end of your cul-de-sac to keep you entertained for a day, hence the name of this virtual tent we all sit under. What is life without Singletrack?

Funnily enough I am thinking of exactly that, some bricks and a plank near my house I can learn to jump my bike on. Good times!!
    It's weird cos I love riding any bike anywhere. I did Mach 1 with my wife, PP and Mrs PP and I enjoyed it as a nice loop we could all enjoy in nice scenery. My wife didn't have to panic about any crazy technical bits and it was an ace day out. PP managed to crash into a ditch which was amusing too.
    Me and Mrs Robdob went to Norfolk and did 2 rides of 25 and 16 miles on the road. Fantastic scenery, nice and relaxing on empty roads and a grand day out.
    It's all good!!

And to whoever said bridleways were boring really hasn't travelled much. Some we went on at the weekend in the Yorkshire Dales were compared to the Alps in their type of riding!! Woo-hoo!!!

robdob
    Free Member

compositepro – Member
    CUT GATE
    POSTED 16 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Eh?
    Even the ride to get to Cut Gate is good, never mind the awesomeness that is the path itself. 😀

mafiafish
    Free Member

Another -1 for Grizedale.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Don't think I've ridden anywhere that I've considered dull.

The worst ride was when a mate and I attempted the Mary Townley loop and Mother Nature decided to teach us a lesson with gale force winds, rain, sleet, hail. Physically I felt fine. Mentally I was destroyed. I will never ride there again. Plus there are a lot of frickin' gates!!

Cut Gate? Really? Last year, in September after a prolonged dry period it was the best ride of the year. Fast dusty singletrack all the way down to Langsett, round the res and back again. Superb!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Another -1 for Grizedale.

it's your loss 🙂

brack
    Free Member

Dullness is all in the mind…

I feel sorry for the people who have suggested that the South Downs are dull …..jeez you haven't ridden it enough then!

saxabar
    Free Member

I may have missed it but..

I'm shocked Mach 1, 2 + 3 hasnt been put on here. Hours of riding (up)through grassy fields to be followed by a 5 min gravel path down billed as 'extreme'. Then a huge decent on a road.

Total dissapointment.

Ha – did this last year but lost the trail and descended the road. Maybe I was actually on trail?!

+1 for Lincolnshire on the dullness stakes. Although I go along with two wheels being better than none – there really is little of interest there.

hora
    Free Member

Cut Gate?!! 😯

Good job this isnt a thread 'dullest person that you have ever ridden with'…

compositepro
    Free Member

the ride to cut gate for me is open house front door …..go across field ….through langsett wood up little hill…..believe me it used to be a lot lot better…..it has been ruined by being able to ride it every day but having said that a lot of the features that made that ride special have been gone for a long time

even being at the little trig point at sunrise is meaningless now

however wharncliffe used to be a lot lot better…maybe im becoming jaded in my old age

rkk01
    Free Member

What a bunch of moaning old to$$ers. You want to try the great swathes of UK land dedicated to farming, owned by the landed and firmly surrounded by keep off signs…

As much as you can do to stitch together a few country lanes, BWs and cheeky footpaths across very large parts of the countryside.

FWIW – Anyone who thinks The Gap is boring needs to have their mtb confiscated and reallocated to a more deserving owner. The long Gap climb (pictured) might not rate highly on fun, but the route needs to be judged as a whole. It is a classic UK ride by any standards.

I've only ridden the Marin once, but thoroughly enjoyed it. Stunning views and the feel of being in the mountains. Some very entertaining sections. I suspect it is a bit like the Penhydd trail – you need to vary the pace to suit each section and your mood.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

maybe im becoming jaded in my old age

no "maybe" about it – any trail may become dull (to you) if you over ride it 🙁

flamejob
    Free Member

Actually… I've just been thinking about this thread whilst working and it's about as relevant as some emo teens arguing which bands are the most boring.

Classic STW – Keep it coming 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I racked my brains for anywhere to nominate without success. I have had a few dull rides (out of ~ 1500 in total), but those were a combination of mood, weather and company, and nothing to do with where we went

scruzer
    Free Member

Anglesey! Shame because its got some great coast line and very rugged in places if slightly flat. Shame there are no bridalways etc… Please correct me if I'm wrong folks..

glenp
    Free Member

What a daft thread, even by STW standards!

Downslink is a way to get from Guildford area to the sea without going on the road, its not a trail centre! Does anyone think it would be more interesting to go on the road?

nickc

Swinley, and for that matter Cannock, you have to know where to go, and even Thetford (at the right speed) is fun. Some of the by-ways and BW round by'ere are a bit "field edge" but even then I can make up a nice 45 minute loop which me and my lad are pretty much guaranteed a laugh.

Cycling is what you make it, although having spent time there, I think Norfolk and Lincolnshire would be a struggle… 🙂

Blower
    Free Member

compositepro – Member
    the ride to cut gate for me is open house front door …..go across field ….through langsett wood up little hill…..believe me it used to be a lot lot better…..it has been ruined by being able to ride it every day but having said that a lot of the features that made that ride special have been gone for a long time

even being at the little trig point at sunrise is meaningless now

however wharncliffe used to be a lot lot better…maybe im becoming jaded in my old age

yep totally agree with you on the Cut gate thing.

Blower
    Free Member

Did i say Llangdegla.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Downslink is a way to get from Guildford area to the sea without going on the road, its not a trail centre!

There's more to biking than Trail Centres.

I feel sorry for the people who have suggested that the South Downs are dull …..jeez you haven't ridden it enough then!

3 times. First half – ditchwater, as, dull.

Yep.

markgraylish
    Free Member

A-Line @ Whistler…

crazy-legs

I worry about people sometimes.
    When I started MTBing there were no trail centres, no internet forums with responses in seconds to any route query.

All the family holidays I went on in the Lakes and Scotland, first day there I'd buy a map of the area and start looking at it, seeing what was around, I'd plan a route and go out early on my own before the family was up. Couple of hours riding, back home for second breakfast and out with parents/sister for the rest of the day.

Sure I had a couple of rides where I'd be pushing up a great descent or descending a road but by and large it'd be ace. Nowadays everyone wants instant trail centre gratification, routes supplied on GPS, a cake stop half way and no need to think. 🙁

Riding is what you make of it – bimbling round a trail centre fireroad then slagging the area off cos you can't be arsed to look at a map and work out where to go isn't exactly constructive…

Mattie_H
    Free Member

+ 1 for Crazy-Legs

Blower
    Free Member

Well said crazy legs.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘Where is the dullest place you've ever been Mountain Biking?’ is closed to new replies.