Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 176 total)
  • Where is the dullest place you've ever been Mountain Biking?
  • teef
    Free Member

Where is the dullest place you've ever been Mountain Biking?

My vote is for the South Downs closely followed by Swinley.

sailor74
    Free Member

you obviously have never ridden at Bedgebury

Mackem

Paris

Lifer
    Free Member

Downs Link!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Cannock Chase

StuE
    Free Member

Bedgebury is by far the dullest place I have ever ridden.

grumm
    Free Member

On a road.

Grizedale is probably the worst trail centre I've been to.

_tom_
    Free Member

Local bridleways

jabbathehut
    Free Member

Grum – i got up early to have a 2 hour spin on my road bike and i found it as dull as dishwasher. I bought it to compliment my Mountain Biking and usually i just love being outdoors so i thought i would love road biking. Wrong answer. Dull Dull dull…….

jedi

as long as i'm on the bike it's never dull, it's wonderful!

New Forest.

Even the cheeky stuff doesn't inspire (and there's a theoretical 500 quid fine for riding that)

br
    Free Member

Swinley is great, with friends – wouldn't go there on my own though.

grumm
    Free Member

Grum – i got up early to have a 2 hour spin on my road bike and i found it as dull as dishwasher.

I quite like road biking for when I can't be arsed to get in the car, as there are no local bridleways/trails near me really.

Can't stand riding my mtb on roads though, even if only briefly to link up trails – especially with the big silly tyres I've got on there.

scaredypants

EXTREME!!dave!! is right – most boring ride I've had is in the new forest too

Once you accept it's "just" xc, you can make a really good route but FAR better when very dry (since much is wetland/bog) and you need to know the area pretty well to find the good stuff and miss the bogs

juiced
    Free Member

Like just being on the bike. Alone or with friends.In fact riding part urban environment route's is a fave.

Junkyard
    Free Member

anywhere is usually good – worst is really busy A roads with full size artics and lots of them.
    MTB dont mind but do object to hours of bog fest riding as I find it a bit pointless

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

jedi – Member

+1. And on that note – I'm off out to ride my bike (on the south downs!)

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Thetford – dull,dull,dull.
    The 'official' Grizedale routes. North Face? North Face of what?
    Norfolk and Lincolnshire – rubbish! 😉

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Can'tsay that I've found anywhere dull yet…must try harder,or move south.

ahwiles
    Free Member

shatton moor, yesterday.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Hamsterley.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

Florida – flatest state in the Union
    Flanders – I love the place but riding there is basically plugging round a muddy field. Luckily the Ardennes are only an hour-ish away

damion
    Free Member

+1 for lincolnshire. Extremely dull landscape & clingy mud made for boredom and frustration

Trekster

jimbobrighton – Member

jedi – Member

+1. And on that note – I'm off out to ride my bike (on the south downs!)

+ another one.
    Just of down the shop to get some supplies in before the F1 GP, a whole 1/2ml on me bike today 😆
    1.1/2hrs skills training with kids tomorrow then off up to Mabie for the afternoon trail huntin 😉

flamejob
    Free Member

Swinley and the chase are great if you know where to go. I am proud to have been locals to both.

Brecon Beacons are the most dull. I have ridden there twice (once in the so called 'Rough Ride', which was anything but); parabolic grassy domes of dullness.

hora
    Free Member

1. Jacksons Boat
    2. Cannock Chase
    3. Marin Trail

Swinley and the chase are great if you know where to go. I am proud to have been locals to both.

No idea about Swinley, but you're proud to have been local to Cannock? Really?

Most routes in the White Peak Guide are pretty crap – only the cheeky stuff is good in the White Peak, of which there is plenty.

Blower
    Free Member

Llangdegla
    marin trail

DenDennis
    Free Member

flat bridleways that have been churned up into bogs for miles by flamin' horses!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The SITS course

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Marin trail.

Drac

Thetford, although as others have said I was on a bike with friends and beer was involved so still enjoyable but not a place I'd choose to ride again.

Jamie
    Free Member

jedi – Member

Come to Peterborough mate and i will remove that optimistic view 😉

allyharp

Depends on what angle you're looking at dullest from. Dullest riding or dullest surroundings?

In terms of the riding on offer pretty much any countryside bridleway network will be far far less exciting than Swinley or the North Downs – so quit trolling.

For surroundings – most trail centres built in the middle of forests fit that bill. But I'd say Swinley is particularly dull compared to any of the rest I've encountered.

Houns

Marin trail is by far the worst trail centre type trail

Cannock Chase?! Some great riding there!

hora
    Free Member

Maybe 'off piste' houns!

chunkypaul
    Free Member

hora
    1. Jacksons Boat
    2. Cannock Chase
    3. Marin Trail

seriously? you compare the marin trail with flat tracks next to the river mersey, now that is some bottom talking…

grumm
    Free Member

In terms of the riding on offer pretty much any countryside bridleway network will be far far less exciting than Swinley or the North Downs

Never been to the Lake District then? 😛

hora
    Free Member

seriously? you compare the marin trail with flat tracks next to the river mersey, now that is some bottom talking…

Im struggling to find trails that are 'boring'. Those three are the ones that spring to mind.

Marin doesnt have any interesting features, it climbs, it curves and it ends. The only difference that I can see is slightly narrrower trails and height difference 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘Where is the dullest place you've ever been Mountain Biking?’ is closed to new replies.