Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Where in the world to buy expensive diamond rings?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

A bit random, but I have (in 2016, so starting to budget/plan for it) both our 10th wedding anniversary and my wife’s 40th birthday so I was thinking about doing a luxury weekend away somewhere amazing and top it off with letting her choose an eternity ring – so is there any real ‘saving’ to be had by buying rings anywhere abroad and if so, where?

Cheers

stumpy01

Antwerp is a bit of a diamond dealing centre, isn’t it? Dunno if that means you get a good price for them, though?

I used to live with a South African couple who reckoned diamonds were so much cheaper in South Africa it was worth going over there to get a wedding/engagement ring. Unless you are spending thousands though, I can’t see the savings outweighing the cost of a trip to SA.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Amsterdam is also a diamond trading centre, not sure if it will be any cheaper but the city is amazing for a weekend break.

cashback

I took the wife to the diamond district in New York, where you can pick from lots of different jewellers. You then get to choice the stone you want, and the setting and then wait while they mount it in front of you.
    It was a memorable way to spent a morning, and you are in New York which is great for a few days.

njee20
    Free Member

India/Caribbean.

How much is the focus on the holiday though? Obviously a Caribbean holiday is likely to cost more than any saving.

Pigface
    Free Member

Is there a cheap diamond ring 😉

No links to Argos please 😀

Hatton Garden in London?

lunge

Birmingham? The jewellery quester is so much cheaper than the high street. Not overly romantic mind.

Alphabet

I believe Amsterdam is good for a weekend break and is also good for diamonds …

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hows about this – if you have money to spend – make the effort to get a certified conflict free diamond.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2013/01/02/rough_cut?page=0,0&wp_login_redirect=0

brassneck

Choose one yourself and present it for the full ‘wow’ effect.

Not sure about sneaking it through customs will go.. doubt there’s any rules preventing it, but any questions raised might spoil the surprise a bit!

Sui
    Free Member

Get friendly with a diamond dealer in Hatton Garden like I did 8) , save an absolute packet..

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Sierra Leone should fit the bill.

scuttler

Sydney – http://www.mondial.com.au/about/mondial buying pink diamonds from the Kimberley in WA. Then onto El Questro to see where they came from – http://www.elquestro.com.au

A bit longer than a weekend and you will be skint. You did say world though.

LHS
    Free Member

Hatton Garden all the way. Saved about £3500 on the wifes engagement ring compared to what you would have paid in the high street.

johnnystorm

Bluenile.com/uk

Pick one certified on a mutally important date, etc.

Use the money saved to on holiday somewhere nice, if not necessarily any good for buying diamonds.

johndoh
    Free Member

Sydney would be a bit far to go for a weekend! We have two young kids (they will be 7 when we go) so we can’t extend it longer than a long weekend break really.

New York would be do-able though I reckon – and I had been thinking about it but if the ring cost the same over there as it would do here I would rather spend more on nicer accommodation somewhere in the UK.

Thanks for all the replies so far though, keep them coming.

cdoc
    Free Member

Another vote for Bluenile.
    Choose something nice from their Signature range and have a ring designed for it.

nedrapier

My mate goes to Thailand a lot on buying trips. Guess you need to know the right people there.

duffle
    Free Member

Aruba – in dutch antilles (sp?) links to Holland so big on diamond trade. Also good place for a jolly but it is a little americanised though this does allow you to roam the island without the usual worry like on some island in the caribbean.

Anther option my brother always recommends is Goa again cheap-ish diamond and beautiful place to boot though it can be a little run down in appearance………like Malta it’ll be lovely when they finish it!!! 😉

Rockape63
    Free Member

5th Ave NY is the place. Half the price of a similar stone in London.

Plus the ex rate is very good ATM.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Buy her a man made diamond, the diamond business/trade is a scam

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

buy the rock then let her get the setting for it. Its what I did. Make sure its a certified rock and comes with all the correct paperwork. I did my work with a very nice chap in the diamond borse in hatton garden, introduced by a friend but a long chat with a few will get a good result.

mudshark
    Free Member

Get friendly with a diamond dealer in Hatton Garden like I did

Just how friendly did you need to get?

Hatton Garden all the way. Saved about £3500 on the wifes engagement ring

Did you still stick to the 1/2/3 month salary rule? Not sure anyone does though.

I spent the day with wife to be milling around Hatton Garden which made it a bit of an event. Last time I went shopping with her….

Jamz
    Free Member

I watched this earlier today, very interesting:

Why Engagement Rings Are a Scam

garage-dweller

We got engaged in South Africa. Had the ring custom made in Cape Town and paid the full import duty and vat when bringing into the UK. Even with duties and Vat paid it was heaps cheaper. Whether that’s worth £1500 of air fares and a 24 hour round trip on a plane is for you to work out. The other issue is you need to know where to shop even there to avoid paying UK retail prices and for custom made with savings on cost it will probably take a week to make. We had the benefit of local knowledge at the time.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Where in the world to buy expensive diamond rings?’ is closed to new replies.