Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Where have all the original Enduros gone?
  • ads-b
    Free Member

Once upon a time every other bike on the trail was an Enduro. Where have they all gone. I know the first batch had problems with the weld splitting, but that couldnt account for them all. I havent seen one in years.

clubber
    Free Member

I've got one (got it second hand a couple of years ago)

I changed the stock Fox ITCH shock for a longer one (200×50) with the link set to the slacker setting, which sorts out the low BB and the angles seem pretty spot on. Not broken yet but I'm keeping an eye on it 🙂

Megatron

took my 2004 Enduro over to Verbier last week.. a great bike but quite out of it's depth there. Quite good here though.
    At 5 years old now, it's time for a new bike me thinks. That's what all the creaking told me.

njee20
    Free Member

Actually that's the second generation Enduro, the original ones looked just like the FSR XCs of the time, but had silly mudguards and stuff. Horrible bikes they were too!

I suspect they've gone the way of many of the 5 year old bikes…

hora
    Free Member

Actually a very good point OP. Same with the second-gen Enduro's as well. They were supposed to be the muts-nuts (Dirt) on a downhill?

nickc

I thought they all split at the seat mast…Most FSR's did…

clubber
    Free Member

Fair point njee – this is the 1st Gen (2001ish)

Most people think of the 2G one (eg like mine at the top) as the original enduro though

Olly
    Free Member

The enduro club traded them all in and got Commie meta 5s.

or at least the 3 or 4 people in our bike club with identical enduros, swapped them for identical commies.

we reckon they must have a secret "hand"shake or something, its a bit weird 😉

in answer to "where have they all gone?"

a crusher, for scrap, hopefully 😀

clubber
    Free Member

nickc – Member
    I thought they all split at the seat mast…Most FSR's did…

Yep, that's where they usually went – or on the swingarm IIRC. I'm keeping an eye on mine…

stumpy01

That pic clubber has posted looks just like my Stumpjumper FSR!! Apart from the forks & the coil shock…..

Even down to the Pace Carbon Armour on the headtube!!

njee20
    Free Member

Aye the first Enduros were basically FSR XCs with some beefier component choices!

I don't see why it's weird, bikes break, get thrown away, or get replaced and sit in the garage. I'd find it very odd indeed if you now saw more 2002 bikes than when they were current!

ads-b
    Free Member

I did mean the 2G ones. Didnt know about the 1G one.

There must be a lot of them sitting in sheds/garages, or been thrown away. I recon they would still stand up as great bikes in todays modern world. But I must have known of 10 of my riding mates with them, all sold on now. But to have that many good bikes doing nothing seems odd. You still see loads of old steel konas around.

Megatron

well if someone else want to own a piece of history…
    anyone want to buy one of the 2nd gen Enduros?

Its a 2004 Enduro, Sliver, XL size.
    XT and LX bits, with hope hoops (Pro2 on DT Swiss 5.1s), CK headset, Pikes, Thompson post, and mono M4s.
    Could sell as a frame if you wish??

UK-FLATLANDER

I still have mine, going strong (touch wood). Still love it, but prefer my 5 Spot if it gets knarly.

hora
    Free Member

One day we will be asking the question of early Meta 5's…..where did they all go? (SNAP)

clubber
    Free Member

Mine's still great actually – fit a 5" fork and the longer shock as I mentioned and it rides really nicely, particularly with the better shock technology (eg propedal to tame the famous 4 bar squat) available now.

Megatron – an XL one! (like mine) – they were pretty rare…

steviep
    Free Member

I sold mine this year after taking it to verbier the previous year and feeling distinctly under biked. I bought an orange alpine 160 to replace it. Best move I ever made.

david_r
    Free Member

Still got mine. Great bike. Done the Megavalanche on it, other trips to the alps and some DH racing, as well as all the usual XC trail centre stuff in Wales and Scotland. Superb bike.

Wont be getting rid of mine anytime soon.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Had and 03 one, cracked at the top tube \ seat tube junction. Got an 04 one on free warranty replacement. The bit where the 03 one went had been beefed up. Still going strong. Not much remaining of the original kit. But I still love it and have no intention of getting rid.
    Top bike.

AlasdairMc

I ride an 04 as my main bike and can't fault it. Pikes gave it a lot more though, it's far more capable than it was and it'll do slow DH at full travel and with the rocker flipped over.

All that remains of the stock spec is one rim, the headset and shifters but I've no plans to get anything else until I eventually break it

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Where have all the original Enduros gone?’ is closed to new replies.