Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Where does Leave now stand on its promises?
  • km79
    Free Member

Can all remainers please take it on the chin. There was a vote, you lost, get over it. Otherwise you look like a toddler not accepting NO for an answer.

Maybe when the leave voters actually step up and start to offer some ideas about how they are going to sort all this shite out.

dannybgoode

I accept the result 100%-I’m just expecting the leave camp now to deliver this vision of a stronger more prosperous UK.

A genuine question for you. Are you entirely happy that the reasons you voted leave for are going to be delivered. Did you vote leave for more money for the NHS or for lower immigration and if so are you not disappointed it seems this isn’t and never was the intent of the leave camp?

And to say shut up, get over it. Was it not Farage who said if leave lost then they must not be silenced,must keep banging the drum and pushing for change?!

So he would have (successfully undoubtedly) kept the noise up but we must shut up?

Is it not important for everyone to carefully consider and debate the next moves, to consider the promises made as yes leave won and we must all deal with the consequences. To heal the divisions both sides must be listened to and both sides must help move this thing forward.

ninfan
    Free Member

Hang on – just a few days ago everyone from remain was complaining that the leave campaign hadn’t given any detail of what they were going do afterwards

How then are they now alleged to have made all these ‘promises’?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

FF spot on. There were misjudgements all round right up to the final whistle. VL could lie because they never thought that they would win, CMD didn’t think he would lose, and JC watched from the sidelines hoping that the Tories would self destruct and leave him in a string position.

And now we have #fakecontorl, the lies exposed for what they are and immediate scrambling and backtracking. Bojo and Gove will ultimately be toast because they will fail to deliver – how could they, they proposed false answers to made up problems? The only positive for them is this will take time. But they are now 100% exposed and they look less attractive naked don’t they?

JC, well…..

CMD misjudged. Must feel v low right now but will be off to the private sector and a happy new career.

Meanwhile the Turkeys are basting nicely. Hard luck or their own fault – you decide, it doesn’t matter – they will be the ultimate losers, Sad but as the quotes – here or elsewhere – that democracy relies on education to work properly will be proved correct.

No surprise where the educated voted.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What we saw was unsubstantiated promises which have been dropped within minutes of the Out vote
    £350 Million to spend on what we want like build hospitals – well actually that doesn’t really exist and we might need that for a Pay to Trade scheme and to fund all the things that now don’t have cash for.
    Stop all that nasty immigration, well control, well not do much, well we might have to accept free movement to get free trade
    The rest was slogan crap like take control or be awesome which means nothing

mikey74
    Free Member

Their “promises” were: “we’ll make Britain great”, “we’ll taken power back”, “we’ll bring an end to free movement” etc etc.

ninfan
    Free Member

unsubstantiated promises which have been dropped

Which actual promises though?

can you point me to anything that was actually promised?

or is it just good one fashioned whinging?

Edit:

“we’ll bring an end to free movement”

http://bfy.tw/6Rmv

DrJ

Do we still get bendy bananas? Or was that a lie too?

Is disappoint.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

too right ninfan it was a great con from day one, unfortunately a number of people didn’t spot that. Good job you did… you won’t be dissapointed when none of it happens

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Gove was promising things from the 24th onwards.

Wrong on all counts.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have to say @ninfan you are on a roll 🙂 Bingo – Full ‘ouse !!

BTW Farage always said the £350m claim was a mistake, he’s happy to say that before and after the vote. It wasn’t his campaign that came up with the slogan. As I said repeatedly the number was irrelevant and anyway its not fixed and the trend had been clearly upwards nit leas as UK was outperforming

A campaign can’t make any promises or have a manifesto as its not a Government or even a political partry, Osbourne however is the (was a 😉 ) chancellor so where’s the punishment budget ? Michael Fallon couldn’t explain when armed conflict was expected to break out either.

Nothing could possibly be delivered on day 1 as the Leave campaign said. Nothing at all has changed today.

So I see our EU comissioned (who until 3 months ago I had NEVER heard of) has confirmed what a sleezeball he is by resigning just at the point he has some real work to do.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As I said repeatedly the number was irrelevant and anyway its not fixed and the trend had been clearly upwards nit leas as UK was outperforming

Such a shame they didn’t have a marker pen or something to change it on the bus. It’s really up there as they meant it…

dannybgoode

@Jamba-isn’t this kind of political wriggling and swerving exactly the kind of behaviour a number of leave supporters voted in protest against.

The tone of the debate was that a vote to leave is a vote for less immigrants, a vote for more money to the UK instead of the EU and more jobs for British people.

To say these were not promises is technically true but is not the way they were sold to the public. At no point did anyone from VL say a vote to leave is a vote to keep immigration at the same level. They are saying that now though.

They kept saying the free movement of people from within the EU was unsustainable and that it must end. I’m listening to yesterday’s any questions on R4 now and Chris Grayling very specifically said yes free movement must go. Now Hannan is saying it’ll probably stay.

At no point did they say ‘you see that £350m figure on the side of our bus, there right above more spending on the NHS? Well it doesn’t actually exist and it’s certainly not going on the NHS’. They’re saying it now.

They made a number of statements about how leaving the EU would mane Britain great again and they’re now saying ‘well that was just an idea-it’ll probably not happen though’.

The average voter doesn’t understand the difference between a manifesto promise, a policy suggestion or a hope and a prayer. They don’t understand that a slogan or catchy headline used in a referendum debate isn’t the same as one used by a party during an election.

ninfan
    Free Member

Nothing at all has changed today.

You’re joking? I recall the promises made by remain, such as:

“As a historian, I fear that Brexit could be the beginning of the destruction of not only the EU but also of western political civilization in its entirety,”

These post Brexit scenes just in from Kent

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWr7omWJHyo[/video]

ratnips
    Free Member

Nothing at all has changed today

hahahaha

DrJ

I’m sure all the Leave voters who expected NHS money, end to EU immigration and all the rest will now say “yes, you’re right, you got me there good and proper guv’nor. Well.played me old China” and get back to their business with a merry tune.

dannybgoode

@ninfan-it’s far too early to call that. Let’s see what position the economy is in in 6 months-a years time.

Let’s see start the details of the trade deals are when we have them.

We can however today say that leave have already backtracked on two of theirs.

Yes, remain may be called out also but it’ll take longer to find out and they may well be proved right…

DrJ

Ninfan – Donald Tusk was part of the Remain campaign? Gosh!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@danny immigration has been a real issue in the UK for a while. Both the Tories (with their target) and Labour (demonstrated by the mug) focused on it in 2015. It was always going to be central to the campaign. The EU where well aware of this, Cameron tried to get some meaningful reforms (like a benefit/welfare freeze) but he was rebuffed. The EU has a choice, it could have chosen a path which would have mitigated the concerns but they did not.

As for the £350m lets keep an eye on our budget contributions for the next two years, they are not going down imo – quite the contrary.

As for free movement – I am good with any EU citizen having access to a visa but with a cap which we set annually based on needs. I am also very much of the view we need to do what Singapore does when it grants visas – it looks at the skills you are bringing and the contribution you will make in terms of balue added and tax. Everyone should pay enough tax fo cover services, health and there should be no in work benefits and no housing provision.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

immigration has been a real issue in the UK for a while. Both the Tories (with their target) and Labour (demonstrated by the mug) focused on it in 2015.

Yes the perception of immigration has been a problem and convincing people that it’s actually good for the country has been tough. It’s also been hijacked by the right wing and pushed hard. People are being told it’s a problem and the reason life is tough when in fact that immigration is making the economic position better.
    Thats also where the racists come in.
    Then there has been the blurring of the lines between Legal EU movement and the migrant crisis which has been done to create the fear and worry – remember all your posts about refugees in Germany?

Everyone should pay enough tax fo cover services, health and there should be no in work benefits and no housing provision.

Damm fine idea, most of the EU migrants did.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hopefully Leave will back down and sign up to Europe properly instead of this farcical shit we’re in now.

dannybgoode

But Hannan has stated complete free movement, exactly as we currently have, is likely to continue and that VL never explicitly said otherwise.

Plus Calais is at some point going to dump thousands of angry disillusioned refugees on Kent. No way on gods earth are the French going to allow our border to stay on their soil and why should they. We want to take control back don’t we?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Perhaps we should focus efforts on the things that people fear the most – like spiders an the dark, maybe vote leave could promise to ban darkness

dannybgoode

And spiders. ‘Specially foreign spiders…

leffeboy

Hopefully Leave will back down and sign up to Europe properly instead of this farcical shit we’re in now.

except that we would be in a worse position to negotiate than before and any special concessions that we had would be toast

footflaps

except that we would be in a worse position to negotiate than before and any special concessions that we had would be toast

Yep, no rebate, no MEPs, no say in EU laws (which we have to follow) and no passport control. The Norwegian model.

So we pay more for less 🙂

Oh the ironing…

and a 2 year long recession / house price crash as a transition to this new Utopia!

dudeofdoom

Must admit I don’t get the the “we’ve won” get over it mentality…..considering you don’t know what you’ve won.

kimbers

Will Wales, Cornwall, Museums, UK science, MTB trailbuilding etc still see the EU cash propping them up in the Norwegian model?

Out are they to rely on the benevolence of our new Tory government ?

Nipper99
    Free Member

Reversion to a pre-Maastricht scenario i.e. free movement of labour for jobs rather than just pitching up?

dannybgoode

And considering that Farage said if VL lost they wouldn’t be silenced, they would keep on banging the drum until they get what they wanted.

So it’s OK for Farage and his VL supporters to pledge to keep on banging on until they win a referendum yet those on the remain side are expected to shut up after a few hours.

Some of us have had something taken away from us that we’ll never get back, something we believed passionately in and we were proud to be part of.

Don’t forget some remainers actually liked being part of a political union and reasons for staying went far beyond economic arguments, trade agreements and immigration.

dannybgoode

@nipper-the very large proportion of EU migrants did rock up to a job and under the renegotiation anyone that didn’t have a job could be sent home.

CMD actually did quite a good job there.

andy8442
    Free Member

I’m sorry all, but the elephant in the room needs to be addressed. The leave campaign “won” on the vote on the large number of bigots and closet racists they corralled. That’s why I woke up yesterday morning feeling sick. That’s how the rest of the world see’s us and that’s how half of the U.K regards at each other. I’m not proud to be British anymore. I feel like an outsider in my own country.

Sorry for lowering the mood, get back to your politics.

mdavids
    Free Member

I can’t remember the leave campaign actualy making any promises, in fact it was the main reason I could never vote leave, I had no idea what we supposed to gain apart from some vague notion of ‘taking back control’

We’ve been in a game of ‘deal or no deal’ and chosen a potentially empty box over a guaranteed payout. The leavers are cheering before its even been opened.

bails

Just to go back to the point made on the first page by TurnerGuy, because I feel it really wasn’t pushed or explained by the remain side…

The NHS gets paid when it treats EU patients. If a French patient is treated over here they’re logged on a government system and we send a bill to the French government, who cough up the cash as long as the patient has an ehic card.

If they don’t have an EHIC then they’re treated like any other foreign patient and we get the money back from their insurers or from the patient themselves. If they don’t pay then the NHS can put a marker on them so that the border agency stop them and make them pay.

Overseas patients don’t have any right to free (apart from a&e, maternity and a couple of other exceptions) NHS treatment and they’re not behind the continuing rises in demand for care.

phiiiiil

that’s how half of the U.K regards at each other.

We’ve recognised this. We live in an area that was very strongly Leave, and earlier we found ourselves in a busy National Trust cafe, popular with the older generation. The thought crossed both our minds that all these people, happily going about their business as if nothing had happened, were those who had basically just done us all over. It was very difficult to get over.

Extra ironic as the National Trust were on the Remain side.

Nipper99
    Free Member

@ andy8442 – yup, ashamed is the feeling I have at the moment.

footflaps

It was very difficult to get over.

Just content yourself with the fact they’ll all be dead soon and we can then start to fix things…..

maccruiskeen

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efynwrpt4-Q[/video]

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Where does Leave now stand on its promises?’ is closed to new replies.