Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Where do emails go?
  • donsimon
    Free Member

I’ve been dealing with a company who say that they’ve sent me 9 emails, my records only show two received? Fortunately they’re not important emails, but that kind of miss rate is high IMO, or is someone telling porkies?

philconsequence
    Free Member

same place as your odd socks… yeti’s Don Simon shrine.

bigyinn
    Free Member

SPAM blocking? or they’re possibly embelishing on the truth …..

Cougar

SPAM blocking? or they’re possibly embelishing on the truth …..

This.

(Or, Silicon Heaven.)

soma_rich
    Free Member

If they sent 9 in quick succession the SPAM filter might have blocked because of the frequency?

phil.w
    Free Member

either,

a) returned as undeliverable – so they would know you hadn’t received them.
    b) in your SPAM
    c) sent to the wrong address
    d) telling porkies

donsimon
    Free Member

As in the Spam folder? Not seen anything there, also seems odd that some get through and others not and not, I don’t think, in quick succession either. 😕

same place as your odd socks… yeti’s Don Simon shrine.

That has actually answered the question on next thread I was going to start…

Cougar

If they sent 9 in quick succession the SPAM filter might have blocked because of the frequency?

TBH, email can get stuck in local, remote or intermediate spam filters for any number of ephemeral reasons. Volume of emails, size, ratio of text to non-text, DNS non-compliance, the Scunthorpe problem, shared IP ranges, foreign language content…

phil.w
    Free Member

but don’t you normally get informed when that happens and have the option of retrieving it?

Cougar

Depends where it is and how it was configured. Personal email or corporate? Webmail? Who’s the provider? Who’s the ISP? What “internet security” are you running? Etc etc.

donsimon
    Free Member

TBH, email can get stuck in local, remote or intermediate spam filters for any number of ephemeral reasons. Volume of emails, size, ratio of text to non-text, DNS non-compliance, the Scunthorpe problem, shared IP ranges, foreign language content…

This was my initial thought too, but I am now leaning towards porkie pies being a more valid explanation.

Cougar

It’s the most likely explanation. That, or they’re still sat in ‘Drafts’ because they forgot to hit Send.

donsimon
    Free Member

Cheers. 🙂

Dan1502
    Free Member

I use outlook. I had a similar situation and was not getting a number of emails nor were they in my junk folder. A while later I found when logging into my account through the provider website there was a spam folder with loads of important emails in. My spam filter setting had been set to high (when my service provider merged with another I think) and I was blissfully unaware of what was happening. I changed the setting to medium and have had no problems since/

Dibbs
    Free Member

I had the same problem as Dan1502 with my wife’s account.

Cougar

Aye.

I’ve used a standalone client (Outlook Express / Thunderbird / Live Mail / whatever) for years to access my gmail account. I’ve never had a problem with spam on that account.

I had cause to use the webmail interface relatively recently and was shocked to find a large volume of spam in a hitherto undiscovered Spam folder.

Point there is, just because you can’t immediately find a spam bucket doesn’t mean there isn’t one (or several).

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Where do emails go?’ is closed to new replies.