Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Where can I get something fabricated?
  • gatsby
    Free Member

I’ve got a bit of a problem – I have 2 of the original Apple Cinema Displays that I need to attach to a monitor arm.

The problem is that they don’t have VESA attachment fixings, and Apple only do an adapter to fit the later LED monitors and iMacs.

I was thinking that if I could get a couple of aluminium plates (around 8mm thick) with holes tapped in the correct place for a VESA fit and a hole milled out of the back to accommodate the old mounting stub, I could attach with foam automotive trim tape.

I know a few members work in fabrication, so is this something I could get made fairly easily?

Thanks!
    G

ir_bandito
    Free Member

That’s not fabrication, that’s simple machining.

Anyway, first suggestion would be try your local Metal Supermarket. They may be able to drill holes for you, if not they’ll know someone who can. When I’ve got quotes from them, its come in similar price to getting stuff made direct from machine shops.

Home

gatsby
    Free Member

Thanks Bandito… Nearest one is Leeds so I’ll have a look for a machine shop near by.

Just don’t want to walk in and sound completely clueless!!!

Cheers
    G

cr500dom
    Free Member

Take the measurements of the Hole, and where you want it in relation to the VESA Mount

What size VESA mount do you want to use (Or send me the link)and what size screws does it use ?

And what material do you want it in ?

I can get it Lasercut at work if you want

ir_bandito
    Free Member

drop me an email if you want and I’ll do you a drawing if you want 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

Does sound like a job for laser cutting. If you can create a DXF (or get someone to create one from a sketch) then it’ll be easy. Probably be significantly cheaper than the minimum order value of most places though so £50 at my usual. You’ll have to tap the holes yourself but that is simple in ali.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Ok, example costs on something I’ve made.
    The base plate for this is 6mm Al plate:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pjEnFb]20141007_163217[/url] by ir_bandito, on Flickr

The plate (450mmX350mm) cost ~ £20 from Metal Supermarket.
    The array of 28-off 5mm through holes and 6-off 4mm holes cost £60 from a “bloke in a shed” I know, but Metal Supermarket quoted a similar price from one of their contacts.

gatsby
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies chaps, very helpful. I’ve emailed Dom to see if it’s something he’d be able to do.

🙂

G

cr500dom
    Free Member

Check your email Fella 8)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Where can I get something fabricated?’ is closed to new replies.