Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Where can I get some Deore M525 rear cones???
  • Trail-Blazer
    Free Member

I've just replaced the bearings in my Deore hubs. The drive side was knackered but the other side was like new, strange 🙄 The retainers on the drive side are in reasonable nick but the cone on that side is very rough so needs replacing.

The hub should run fine once it has a new cone installed but the next time it starts to feel a bit rough I think a new hub will be on the cards.

Where's the best place to find some cones? I have a couple of decent bike shops nearby so I'm wondering if they usually carry those items?

Thanks in advance

coatesy
    Free Member

Try LBS first, if they're anything like us then they'll buy non-disc deore hubs and cannibalize them for freehub bodies and skewers, usually having a few complete axle assemblies left over in their spares drawer. If you have no luck let me know and i'll see if we have anything on thursday.

juiced
    Free Member

when I serviced my deore hubs I just bought a new hubs fron ukbikestore and repalced parts with some spare. Worked out really cheap.

devs
    Free Member

On One had some deore hubs at 7.50 a pop. The cones etc are interchangeable with the 525 hub. I've done it twice now. You'll need to keep hold of the dust cover, rubber seal and spacer from the old hub though. Very cheap compared to buying a new freewheel and bearing kit.

juiced
    Free Member

mine were 475 oem hubs though. oem doere's

cp

it will all still fit.

i bought a cheap 475 for the freewheel, axle, cups and bearings, and fit them all in a M5 series hub.

kempfab
    Free Member

I have a pair of new M475 cones I no longer need. Can post them to you for £3 all in, if people on here are sure they will fit? I am no expert…

Trail-Blazer
    Free Member

I have a pair of new M475 cones I no longer need. Can post them to you for £3 all in, if people on here are sure they will fit? I am no expert…

I called into the Edinburgh Bicycle co-op today armed with a part number which I gleaned from an exploded view of the hub on the Shimano website. The guy has 'put in a request' for one – so nothing is concrete but they will be ringing me in the next couple of days. Can you hang onto your cones until I get a yey or ney from the bike shop. Your pair will probably be cheaper than the single one I might be getting from EBC.

I'll drop you an email as soon as I hear back from the shop. 😉

Thanks for all replies to this thread. 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My lbs back home charged 50p for 'bits' like that, probably just took the exploded pic in and said I want XYZ, think they had a box of them as they fit prety much every brand of C&C hub (even the 1960's french ones on my soon to be fixie!)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The drive side was knackered but the other side was like new, strange

bent axel?

what retainers, mine are all loose ball?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Not strange at all. As the freehub wears it precesses around the seal and lets crap in the drive side.

Trail-Blazer
    Free Member

bent axel?

what retainers, mine are all loose ball?

When I say retainers, I mean the cups. I'm sure the cups are also referred to as retainers but they are definitely looseball.

The axle is nice and straight but, like bikewhisperer said, it's a case of water penetrating the seal on the driveside and the chrome has (pretty much) fallen off of the bearings causing them to wear out prematurely. It's a shame about the sealing issues as they are a decent budget hub. My front hub is spot-on and silky smooth. I will service the rear hub regularly now i know there's an issue with water penetration 😉

My LBS just doesn't carry those things. Plenty of high end goodies but they're not so bothered about supplying peeps with nuts and bolts. They do have the hub but I can get it for a third of the price at CRC. At least EBC are trying to order a cone in for me. 8)

Trail-Blazer
    Free Member

I still haven't heard anything back from EBC about these cones so I'm thinking of using the M475 cones that I was offered on here.

Only one problem with that – the cones are not the same. Can the guys who reckon they are, have a look at these exploded views of the hubs on the Shimano website and tell me what I'm missing?

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/FH/EV-FH-M475-2198_v1_m56577569830608924.pdf

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/FH/EV-FH-M525-2067A_v1_m56577569830608928.pdf

Fill yer boots…

cp

they are only different in that the sealing is different on the two hubs, and so the 'back end'(the outer facing side) of both cone nuts is a bit different. the faces in contact with the balls are exactly the same. as long as you use all the bits that slide/screw onto the axle from the M475 hub you'll be fine.

Buy a 495 Silver disc rear hub from here for £7.50 posted, and replace the freewheel whilst you're at it.

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Rear_235.html

It'll be fine, honest!!!

cp

more explanation:-

when you receive the 495 hub, take the bearings, axle and cones, spacers washers and locknuts along with frewheel off.

take all that off the your current hub. put all the bits you took off the new hub into the old hub.

ta da 🙂 new hub except the sheel (and therefore cups).

The shimano list price for the frewheel is about 25 quid, and the axles and cones etc.. will be equally stupid. hence buying a new complete hub is the cheapest way.

devs
    Free Member

There is a dust cover shield on the 525 cone. It comes off and can be fitted to the 475/495 cone. Honest guv – I done it! If you don't buy the on one hub which is an absolute steal then honey, you are a fool! 🙂

cp

I should add I have recently done exactly as I describe above.

Trail-Blazer
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. Was worried about sealing issues but they were never particularly good anyway 😆

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Where can I get some Deore M525 rear cones???’ is closed to new replies.