Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Where can I buy an ethical suit?
  • flyingmonkeycorps

Firstly, yes I realise that this is possibly the most middle class question that’s ever been asked on STW, and that’s saying something.

Onto the question. I’m getting married next year, and I want to buy a nice three piece suit for the occasion. Not top hat and tails or anything; just a nice suit. The tricky bit it that I’d like it to be ethically made and sourced, as much as possible. And not *too* expensive.

Any suggestions?

zippykona

Birthday suit. It’s the only safe option.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’m not sure “safe” is the right word there…

chewkw
    Free Member

flyingmonkeycorps – Member
    The tricky bit it that I’d like it to be ethically made and sourced, as much as possible. And not *too* expensive.

Any suggestions? Never heard of such ethically made suit … There you have stumbled upon a new market. You now have to develop this market to make millions.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Charity shop?

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve tried charity shops, all the ones around here look (and smell) a bit like someone might have died in them.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above, charity shop is one idea.

The other is to find a good tailor, UK based, and ask them about their fabric sourcing. Lots of excellent wool can be sourced from the UK, with good welfare standards.

Not cheap, but an investment or life. Will make you smile every time you earlier it! I had a morning suit made for my wedding, and still wear it whenever the dress code calls.

chewkw
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

As above, charity shop is one idea.

The other is to find a good tailor, UK based, and ask them about their fabric sourcing. Lots of excellent wool can be sourced from the UK, with good welfare standards.

That will probably cost you minimum £300, yes?

flyingmonkeycorps

Aye I did think about a tailor, but I fear it may end up being a lot more expensive than I could justify (I don’t wear a suit much at all, so it’ll not get much use).

I would’ve thought a bespoke suit would be rather a lot more than £300, though I could be wrong.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sorry, was editing!

As above, not cheap, but a good suit should last you a lifetime if you rarely wear it. Suspect I’ll wear my morning suit to my children’s weddings, given the limited wear it gets.

On a lower budget, someone like Roderick Charles would be a good place to look. Good sources of wool. Off the shelf then fitted to you. My ‘everyday’ suits come from there.

grahamt1980

Here you go
    moral fibre

bearnecessities

Cordens have a suit sale on ATM; £375 iirc. However factor in trouser tweaking if you’re more (or less 🙂 ) than a 6″ drop.

flyingmonkeycorps

I had a look at that Moral Fibre blog, it told me that there weren’t any ethical suits :/

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Or second hand from a hire shop.

I got a ex-hire tux at uni in my early twenties, dropped if off at the charity shop best part of 20years later, and then only because it didn’t really fit me.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Asda?

frankconway

+1 for captain flashheart comments: huddersfield worsteds have a fantastic range of suitings and linings – find them online; bespoke – yes but true bespoke will be comfortably £1,000+ for a two piece; semi-bespoke will be in range £700 – 900 for two piece.
    If you’re in north of england Crombie, in Leeds, have suiting and linings at competitive prices; if you’re interested drop me an email – details in profile.
    You should allow upto 3 months if you go to a proper tailor – and be prepared for the question about which side you dress on……

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Where can I buy an ethical suit?’ is closed to new replies.