Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Where are you going for your non bike/family holiday this year?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Just wondered. Prob just go to Cornwall a couple of times as can’t be bothered travelling too far with two young kids.

Stoner
    Free Member

All of june in France w wife n kids in camper van. Bordeaux, limoges (stratobiker i’ll be in touch!), Aude and maybe a bit of loire. Will have bikes with us, but its never really a proper biking holiday.

lunge

South of France and Northern Italy for a 2 week tour at the end of August. I can’t wait.

bruneep

Barbados in 57 days for 2wks 8)

carlosg
    Free Member

2 weeks in Polperro , Cornwall. can’t wait.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Nowhere! I’m staying local.

@stoner – excellent! 🙂

geoffj

Camping in Wales. After our weekend at Dalbeattie, mrsj suggested we stop off at Coed y Brenin on the way down!

Spud

2 weeks in Jersey for us after 3 years of Devon and Cornwall.

oldgit
    Free Member

Daughter will be in Corfu.
    Son in Tenneriffe.
    And me and the missus are having our first holiday alone since they were born, somewhere near Witby I suppose.

Esme
    Free Member

Isle of Man, without a car. The ferry, steam trains, electric trains and horse-drawn trams will all be part of the fun. Better than a long car journey, and sitting in traffic jams

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Wasn’t invited on the family holiday last year, off to the west coast of France with parents +brother this summer though 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Weymouth with the wife and kids. My parents first week, the outlaws the second.

If my FIL brings his bike I’ll be miffed.

CountZero

There’s only me, and I’ll be going back to South Devon to explore the bits I didn’t see last year. The pub B&B is a big inducement too.

transporter13
    Free Member

2 weeks in northern scotland for us..cant wait

Drac

Lakes near the bottom of Garburn, so I’m taking my bike and will try to get a sneaky ride in.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Week in Devon in June and a week in Portugal in July

mandog

egypt

Jolsa

Few days in Interlaken, Switzerland before popping over the border for a week in France. Looking forward to it almost as much as my break in September to do the Lon Las Cymru bike ride 😉

By the way, if anyone has any recommendations for in and around Interlaken then please let me know…

MoreCashThanDash

Just got back from a fantastic week in Wales, stayed in a cottage at Cynfal Farm just outside Tywyn (a google should find it if anyone is interested)

The farm has it’s own halt on the Talyllyn steam railway – MCTD Jnr loved that, and is full of fluffy cute lambs at this time of year. 2 miles to Tywyn beach by steam train/car/cycle path. Stunning views of the coast and up the valley.

Loads to do all around – recommend Aberdyfi for the beach and crabbing, CAT at Muck’n’fluff which both our kids (7 & 4) loved, loads of steam railways, especially the little Corris one if you can catch it when it is running. Not far to Aberystweth (sp?), or the heart of Snowdonia.

Oh yes, the Halo foods honey ice cream factory shop is great for both ice cream and cereal bars

And we got a sun tan last week – in Wales, in April.

(But you will want to take a bike – the odd spare hour I had I couldn’t help but look at the landrover track out the back of the farm up the hill, or notice the smug roadies cruising up and down the road to Talyllyn lake.)

Oh, and a weeks camping in North Yorkshire in August still to look forward to 😀

Trekster

geoffj – Member
    Camping in Wales. After our weekend at Dalbeattie, mrsj suggested we stop off at Coed y Brenin on the way down!

Last time I was at Coed y I was on a trailbuilding course with Daffyd. The intention was to come home and lead a volunteer group building trails in…………..Dalbeattie

Unfortunately F&M happened and the rest as they say is history 🙄

Another trainee on the course that year was the bam from mbuk, Russel Burton 🙄 Maybe I could call myself a traildoctor or whatever and get a job with a mag 😉

Bought a caravan for this year and will be touring the UK on a regular basis. Will see how it goes this year, may keep it, may not.. Bike will be coming with us sometimes otherwise the walking gear will be doned.

sambob
    Free Member

3 weeks in Salcombe, Devon in July/ August. Should get out most days on the bikes but it’s not a bike holiday, more of a boats and beach holiday 🙂

restless
    Free Member

a week in Cornwall.
    was meant to have a week in Tunisia too back in Feb, but all was cancelled due to the riots 🙁

tang
    Free Member

Newport, Pembrokeshire for May 1/2 term and a bit of Exmoor in the Summer. India in the winter.

scaredypants

fortnight in S California – family over there

I’ll get to ride maybe 2 half days and a few evening rides, just me & the lions 😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sambob, lucky you! I spent huge amounts of my youth on the estuary! (The correct side, though!)

This year, am trying to decide between Maldives, Mauritius or Greece.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No idea. I would like to go to Cornwall but that means being too close to my sister in law. Bitch.

sambob
    Free Member

I do hope you mean East Portlemouth Flashheart! Was on the ferry with Michael Parkinson last year, twice 8) Marine hotel was sold last year btw, for an insanely stupid, although unsurprising amount of money.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Of course!

Was at school with previous owners of the Marine as well, as it happens.

It’s changed down there, and not sure it’s for the better. Too much new money. 🙁

I still have nothing but love for East Portlemouth though, even if some dreadful Brummie brickie now owns the old house.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Well i doubt i’ll be going to the US this year….

sambob
    Free Member

I’m glad we’re agreed on the best side. My Great Aunt & Uncle used to own Norton, not the same anymore :(. I know what you mean about the money, but EP seems to have escaped fairly well so far, but we’ll see when we get down there. Do you mean the house on the Hairpin bend when you get down to the junction nearest the water coming down the hill? Also, i don’t suppose you’ve heard about the woman that lives below the car park at the top of the village have you? Let’s just say she’s not keen on people enjoying themselves.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Chez nous. I’m not really bothered about holidays TBH

Just got back from the Gower (see Three Cliffs thread), Keswick in 4 weeks time, both with caravan.

France with caravan in summer, or last minute package holiday to Spain/Ibiza/somewhere else – not decided yet.

thejesmonddingo

Shell island.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sambob…beach with a stream….white house, with boathouse and the best position on the estuary…

If I were to win many millions on the lottery I would try so hard to buy it back….

sambob
    Free Member

I know exactly where you mean. They do have a RIB with wheels though, very cool 8) We have our boats on Mill bay every year. I’ve not met this guy yet (fortunately?) but the time may well come. I’m sure there’s some dodgy money around in Salcombe, i can’t beleive all the properties are legit.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

We always used to let people park their boats on our beach. All we asked was a donation to the RNLI. I miss those days.

Also, “do you like my beach?” was one of the best chat up lines ever!

sambob
    Free Member

Did you have it before Shirley then?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Shirley was there too, lovely old bat! Good to hear her name again. She was just a little up-estuary of the family spot, though. By a matter of yards 🙂 Been plenty of years since we sold up, though.

ziggy
    Free Member

I don’t wish to ruin your hols HTS but Weymouth is currently ruined by massive roadworks and gearing up for the Olympics, sitting on the beach during the bank hols listening to the sound of pneumatic drills all day was delightful 🙄

As for Salcombe, cost me a fortune there last year, the boy had to go on the sea tractor everyday. Popping down there for the weekend soon. (my boy wants to go back to the best sweet shop in the world eva)

Off to North Devon for the week for the beach holiday then Wales for the biking holiday.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Me and Mrs TJ are spending two weeks trekking in the central Apennines.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Where are you going for your non bike/family holiday this year?’ is closed to new replies.