Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Where are the satsumas? I don't want 'easy peelers'
  • peekay

Satsumas are one of my favourite things. Big, juicy ones with plump segments, either seeded or seedless. Easy to peel with little pith.

They used to be available in most supermarkets and grocers, either loose, in a net bag or sometimes buyable by the crate. I could easily eat a few a day.

I haven’t seen any satsumas for the past three winters. I have tried many different supermarkets but there has literally been none available.

All there seems to be these days are “easy peelers”. I have tried these a few times and they tend to be thick skinned, too much pith filled dried out segments. WTF is an “easy peeler” anyway?

If the sellers can’t even be trusted to tell me what variety of citrus fruit they are actually selling then I don’t trust that they will be as tasty as a satsuma so tend not to buy them.

So, does anybody know why I can’t find satsumas any more? Spanish weather? Exchange rates?Changing consumer tastes? Fruit disease? Brexit?

Ta

Drac

Sainsburys, Aldi and Morrison sell them.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve just eaten one.

Hope this helps.

jimdubleyou

I too miss the humble satsuma.

None of those bullet like clementines or johnny-come-lately “easy peelers” (which I suspect are clementines) shall darken our fruit bowl.

bodgy
    Free Member

Sainsburys, Aldi and Morrison sell them.

Waitrose also. Personally, I’d rather have a banana.

vickypea
    Free Member

“Easy peelers” is a strange name. Puts me off buying them!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Where are the satsumas? I don't want 'easy peelers'’ is closed to new replies.