Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • When you want to ditch everything
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Is there a name for this, I thought there was?
    I don't know if it's my age, but I'm getting this urge deep down inside to 'cast off' a lot of what I own.
    I don't exactly want to pack up a few bits in a handkerchief and pootle off. I do want to rid myself of somethings and I have no desire to own anything other than whats needed.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

If you're a day time tv show it's called a Life laundry? 😉

lyons
    Free Member

I know that feeling mate, I'd be happy with a bike to ride, an mp3 player with decent music and somewhere to sluleep…

Macavity
    Free Member

goinggaga

jam-bo

give it all away before they take it away…

brakes
    Free Member

it's called an epiphany

headfirst
    Free Member

I don't exactly want to pack up a few bits in a handkerchief and pootle off.

Actually, that's exactly how I feel… 🙁

spacemonkey

De-cluttering.

shooterman

Pretty much how I feel too. I really want to simplify things.

MrSparkle

Sloughing?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is the word "catharsis"?

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I'm gonna give most of my stuff to charity – I have so many books sat there doing naff all, seems like such a waste.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Little girl. Read the books as there's no such English word as gonna, and that "sat" is the wrong form of the verb, you meant to say "sitting there"! 😉

Take the lot but leave me my walking boots and my washing machine (although, if you took all my clothes, I guess the washing machine might be a tad redundant!).

iDave
    Free Member

Ti, if you didn't understand sat there, you wouldn't know to 'correct' it to sitting there, so as conversational language goes it's fine

on the OP, i did it a few years ago, moved house in one car journey, apart from the two bikes. it was to sell/give stuff away, then have a big fire for the rest of it

cathartic indeed

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Does anyone remember that chap who rented a closed down C&A shop and proceeded to put everything he owned through a shredder/mincer thing, all in the name of art? Sounded very attractive at the time, not sure if I'd go for it now, perhaps we need to sstop consuming quite so much then we wouldn't have so much clutter.

tails
    Free Member

Minimalism.

Kuco

I did this a couple of months ago gave away a lot of books, old cds and dvds gave my wardrobe a good clear out for the Air Ambulance and tipped a load of junk. Amazing what crap you collect and hoard over the years.

ddmonkey

Getting rid of stuff you never use is very theraputic. I only really need my bikes, camping stuff and a computer…. Sold a lot of other toys off recently and don't miss them at all.

I also have an urge to pack it all in and wander off into the sunset, but I think the thought is more romantic than the reality.

De-cluttering your life de-clutters your mind a bit I think.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

On the other hand hoarding can work, a few months ago I had to replace an old electic shower as the heater had gone, kept the old unit much to wife's dismay. A few weeks later the other identical one we have broke due to a small part failing, call to the shower co, the usual no we can't sell you just this bit so I took it off the old shower, sorted. Doesn't happen that often though.

rOcKeTdOg

who needs more than one pair of pants in their life anyway?

i'm thinking maybe doing it with bikes though, that makes me mad right?

GrahamS

Little girl. Read the books as there's no such English word as gonna

Is that right..?
    http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/gonna?view=uk

You may also want to check:
    http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/pedant?view=uk

😉

ddmonkey

^^^ Jimmy Saville didn't did he! Wash them in the basin and dry on teh radiator, put them on again in the morning…

domino

Whatever happened to Torminalis who sold up and went to live in a tent? Is he still living in a tent?

oldgit
    Free Member

Wanted to trade my Discovery for a Fiat 500 + Thule rack. Fiat 500 HOW MUCH!

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Ti29er – Member

Little girl. Read the books as there's no such English word as gonna, and that "sat" is the wrong form of the verb, you meant to say "sitting there"!

Oh my gosh! How shocking of me to forget the perfection that is correct use of the English language.

I dare say it was due to my writing of reports all day, everyday, thus leaving me wanting for relaxed use of said language on a social forum.

Clearly this is unacceptable to you, sir, and, as such, I am an uncouth oaf.

Yeah right….you can — —- ——– — —(fill in the blanks wif woteva words you fink are appropriate, innit)

oldgit
    Free Member

Wikid

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Dont read this then. Everytime I read it, it makes me want to pack a bag, jump on the bike and go exploring.

Or watch this Only because it makes me jealous, as he actually got off his arse and did it, and I can't. (Well at the moment, maybe in the future…?)

lyons
    Free Member

Rocketdog, I've reduced my collection to 1mtb and 1 bmxnow, well I'm trying to. Plus a road bike I may sell. It's allright actually, but I think the one bike has to be a really nice one… I honestly could get rid off most of my possesions quite happily.

epicyclo

SImple, you've filled the house, haven't you.

Buy a new smaller house and leave the stuff in the old house 🙂

nickc

Ti29r. get some-one to give you a blowjob, really, you seem like you need to relax.

Bunnyhop

Domino – The last I heard, was that Torminalis had met a young lady and set up home together, as in bricks and mortar.

He may be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong.

fubar
    Free Member

Ti29r. get some-one to give you a blowjob, really, you seem like you need to relax.

I just assume he/she is a troll…surely he/she isn't really that much of an arse ?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘When you want to ditch everything’ is closed to new replies.