Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • When was the last time you listened to Graceland- Paul Simon ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Totally forgot how good it is, I was 13 when it was released !

Great album and not dated in the slightest.

stumpy01

Hmmm. I don’t think I’ve EVER listened to it….

codybrennan
    Free Member

About a fortnight ago. As you say: still excellent.

Stumpy: get it sorted 🙂

isto
    Free Member

I have it in vinyl in the kitchen so stick it on all the time when we are cooking. Love it.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

That’ll be never.

razorrazoo

Pretty regularly. Probably my most played album ever. Been with me since I was a kid too. Have to occasionally you tube the video for Call me Al too, just for Chevy Chase.

ratherbeintobago

*Goes off to put it on phone to listen to in car this morning*

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

Chevy Chase was in the video. I’m going to play the album today. Thanks for reminding me. 🙂

scaredypants

vinyl in the kitchen

😯

cynic-al
    Free Member

Never, sounded bland 25 years ago, same today.

Mind you I have started liking Pink FloydFloyd in that time.

martinhutch

Never, sounded bland 25 years ago,

While it does probably sound a bit tame compared to some of the African music that hit the mainstream afterwards, it was one of the factors that brought it to our attention.

Some of it holds up pretty well, considering. More commercial tracks like ‘You Can Call Me Al’ have dated a bit though.

It was one of the first albums I bought for my still-going-strong Denon CD player in 1986. Sounded good compared to my shitey tapes!

dannyh
    Free Member

I can’t find the CD. I was looking for it on Friday evening! Nor can I find ‘The Rhythm of The Saints’. They must be around somewhere. Both excellent albums. I had to make do with a compilation CD.

On the plus side it includes ‘Me and Julio down by the schoolyard’. On the minus side it doesn’t include ‘The Coast’.

hora
    Free Member

I used to listen to it during my GCSE Art.

Bought it recently…its not the same anymore but Simple Minds is still great.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yesterday after my 6 yr old wanted to listen to some different types of music (ie, other than One Detection, Katy Perry etc). She liked it, but preferred Black Sabbath 🙂

matt_outandabout

Bought it recently…its not the same anymore but Simple Minds is still great.

Agree with you on Simple Minds…but Graceland is good too.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Interchangeable with U2 as the blandest band in the history of music.

I had Gracelands on earlier this week. I bought it again last year, not having had it since being a teen. Lots of nice memories, but also good to hear it with fresh ears. There’s some outstanding songwriting and musicianship on display and his lyrical imagery is excellent. I really enjoy the album.

Gracelands also has my favourite misheard lyrics. In the title track he sings “…as if I’d never noticed, the way she brushed her hair from her forehead.”. As a kid I used to hear “the way she brushed her hair and farted.”.

dannyh
    Free Member

Even though I agree that ‘You can call me Al’ now sounds a bit dated, but the lyrics don’t date. It is a sad song set to a lively rhythm, and works brilliantly.

Paul Simon has always been amazingly innovative. In the process he was bound to produce some dross, but the small ratio of dross to brilliance is outstanding. I absolutely love ‘The Coast’. Where are those damned CDs?

There are so many pieces of music that you just can’t imagine them not being around, but someone actually wrote them!

dannyh
    Free Member

Mind you, though, the current fave with the kids is this. They like the usual crap as well, but I like to think I am imparting some objectivity into their musical tastes!

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VuPtOtGF4TY[/video]

rogerthecat
    Free Member

It’s one of my happy summer CDs in the camper – reminds me of happy days pooling round in my old beetle.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Couple of months ago. Big favourite in the car when boy was younger. Still enjoyable now. Don’t stop with this tho, other Simon solo albums are worth a listen. No, it’s not ‘challenging’, but it is well crafted, intelligent and, in its day, innovative compared to the mainstream, introducing elements of African music to a wide audience. No bad thing, imho.

gordimhor

Listened to it last year it is still good has some great lyrics. “The Mississippi delta is shining like a National steel guitar” being my favourite

IdleJon

cynic-al – Member
    Never, sounded bland 25 years ago, same today

Having never listened to it how would you know it sounds bland? 🙄

chiefgrooveguru

A few weeks ago. It’s a great album (with a ton of amazing bass playing too), despite one of my more musical friends claiming it’s “retarded calypso” and my two year old daughter saying, “no listen a Paul Simon, listen a Soundgarden or B B King…”

footflaps

A long while ago, no longer have a working record player and I think I gave the LP to a Charity Shop a year or so back.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Three_Fish – Member

Interchangeable with U2 as the blandest band in the history of music. [/quote]

LOL no accounting for taste!

IdleJon – Member

cynic-al – Member
    Never, sounded bland 25 years ago, same today

Having never listened to it how would you know it sounds bland?[/quote]

Hearing it sounding bland on other people’s hifis? 🙄

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Son of 24 was sorting the new stereo (& AMP!!) out in his MK 1 Golf Cabriolet the other day with Led Zeppelin blasting out down the street! I’ve never heard him play it before…… I’m sure the neighbours wouldn’t have known what hit them!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘When was the last time you listened to Graceland- Paul Simon ?’ is closed to new replies.