• This topic has 36 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mefty.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • When was the last time politics was this interesting?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

mikey74
    Free Member

As a friend of mine said: if what has happened helps get people interested in politics again, then it may not be a bad thing. I must admit, I haven’t discussed politics this much, in such a short time, in my entire life.

Nipper99
    Free Member

“May you live in interesting times is reputed to be the English translation of an ancient Chinese proverb and curse. It is reported that it was the first of three curses of increasing severity, the other two being:
    ##May you come to the attention of those in authority
    ##May you find what you are looking for”

Harry_the_Spider

Gripping.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p2BjhSEnNI[/video]

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Interesting? It’s a **** train wreck.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

When was it last truthful?

When did people last understand it?

mattyfez

It’s always interesting.. it’s just that no one seems to care until shit gets real y’all.

RustySpanner

Interesting?
    🙂

If watching your favourite pub burn down is interesting, I suppose so.
    Or watching your knob rot off.

It’s like waiting to find out which method of torture is about to be employed on you:

A new Blairlite with a whiff of Alf Garnett?
    That **** faux buffoon of a **** becoming PM?

I’m off for a ride.

zinaru
    Free Member

i think its terrifying. i never been more upset about ‘politics’ my entire 42 year life so far.

fuming all weekend. 3 hours mashing local hardpacked singletrack today helped take the edge off…

knards are fast tyres if your not needing much grip.

the government don’t seem to have much grip either at the moment.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Interesting and appalling at the same time – but with a disturbing undertone

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes agreed and the stakes are very high. If I may offer a slight critism OP why sit back with the pop corn, get involved, go to some meetings, ask to see your MP

geetee1972
    Free Member

I would say May 1997

Onzadog
    Free Member

It feels like we’re at the very start of something that will be a huge catalyst for the future. In the short term it will be dire. The question is whether it’s so dire, it leads to a fundamental rethink or whether we just start our demise here.

I’ve certainly never felt it was more critical than it is now.

molgrips
    Free Member

If I may offer a slight critism OP why sit back with the pop corn, get involved, go to some meetings, ask to see your MP

I have not much to say other than what has already been said a million times. 3.3m times actually so far. I’m open to ideas though.

barkm
    Free Member

agree most interesting in my lifetime, but also the most concerning. I’m deeply worried about where this country is going and what is happening, this is made worse by the startled faces of politicians. There appears to have been no plan for this outcome, at all.
    We need very strong leadership and fast. This vacuum will only feed the now emboldened extreme right wing.
    If one thing does still unite all of us it’s that absolutely nobody wants to suffer.

Once ‘leavers’ get over calling the ‘remainers’ ‘sore losers’, like it’s a game of **** cards we’re playing here, we’ll hopefully begin to unite and hold our government to account properly.

molgrips
    Free Member

Last time I think might’ve been miner’s strike, but I was just a kid then so wasn’t concentrating very hard.

BigJohn

What a time for my broadband to go slow. It must be 15 minutes since I got news of another shadow cabinet departure.

It’s like a complete 90 degree shift in politics. Last week it was left v right. Now it’s up v down. Similar to USA where the poor blue collar workers make up the majority of the Republican party and the Democrats appeal to the wealthier.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I think it’s a fascinating period of politics. It’s also quite concerning, as the two big parties are in a bit of turmoil, it’s just the sort of time that the lunatic fringes can sneak in if we aren’t careful

thegreatape
    Free Member

You mean the current ones aren’t the lunatics? Yikes!

el_boufador

It’s absolutely gripping.
    Along with the political revelations, Several personal revelations for me also as a result (I have learned some things about myself and my failings)
    Hope others have been on the ride too

corroded
    Free Member

It’s interesting in that no general election tends to affect my family’s well-being much, give or take a few quid. That probably says something about how closely aligned the major parties are. But this has the potential to truly disrupt a lot of families’ livelihoods, mine included. And that’s where it gets interesting. I’ll do whatever is necessary to prevent that, regardless of party political lines.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Time to watch the world burn. I’m looking forward to seeing what colour the flames are.

rkk01
    Free Member

Yes agreed and the stakes are very high. If I may offer a slight critism OP why sit back with the pop corn, get involved, go to some meetings, ask to see your MP

Tempted to get involved – wouldn’t mind standing for election even (local etc). Just that the current mood of the country doesn’t seem to fit with my core values 🙁

maccruiskeen

When was the last time politics was this interesting?

The late 1930s?

slowoldman

Bay of Pigs?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Cuban Missile crisis?

colournoise

In this country? Early-mid 1980s. Not pleasant, not necessarily productive, but definitely interesting.

Looking back, it’s a shame I wasn’t quite old enough to properly take it all in.

ChrisL

oldmanmtb – Member
    Cuban Missile crisis?

I got into a brief conversation with my mum about the Cuban Missile Crisis a few years ago. She said it genuinely felt like there was a good chance nobody would survive to the following week.

Thank f*ck things aren’t quite that “interesting” just now.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I got into a brief conversation with my mum about the Cuban Missile Crisis a few years ago.

My mother worked at GCHQ at the time. It sounds like they all believed it was on.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^^ yes my parents said the same

mt
    Free Member

1979 for me.

FuzzyWuzzy

If I had any faith in the abilities of our government it would be interesting times but in reality it’s just scary. I can see us ending up in a poor man’s EU (EEA etc.) with all the regulation but not all the benefits. If France and Germany allow us to exit with anything better then it’s just too appealing to other wavering EU countries.

I also suspect Boris couldn’t negotiate his way out of a paper bag, hopefully Theresa May can do better if she wins the leadership election but it’s a massively important issue to have an largely unknown quantity responsible for.

stewartc
    Free Member

1989 was pretty special, I thought so anyway, so much happening and changing world wide, the end of the cold war, the Berlin wall, Tiananmen Sq, Poll Tax, Seinfeld starts, De Klerk becomes president of SA and starts the end of apartheid, the first ISP’s were bought into existence amongst a shedload of other stuff.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Much as I loathe Theresa May, I think she could be the right person to sort this mess out.

jb72
    Free Member

Interesting? It’s a **** train wreck.

This.

Cameron called the referendum … he didn’t get the result he wanted and seems to have wandered off. Surely he is there to do the will of the people? I’d have much greater respect for him if he was staying to sort the whole thing out.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’d have much greater respect for him if he was staying to sort the whole thing out.

Yes and no. I actually quite admire him for saying “you wanted this mess, now deal with it” to the Brexit figureheads.

mefty
    Free Member

I’d have much greater respect for him if he was staying to sort the whole thing out.

By resigning he had a very good reason not to serve notice under Article 50, having a few months of breathing spece could turn out to be incredibly important. Not sure he could have done so if he had stayed.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘When was the last time politics was this interesting?’ is closed to new replies.