Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • when to buy new rotors…
  • oxym0r0n

So i’ve been running a set of marta’s since 2006 and the rotors are a fair bit thinner than new which may contribute to not being able to get away with running pads as thin as I used to. Is there a general rule as to when I should be replacing these things? Thanx

oxym0r0n

Anyone got any useful advice?

danjthomas
    Free Member

same as car brakes, when you start to get a bit lip between non pad and pad contact areas. Also, i had to change one set as I cooked em with metal on metal when i ran through some pads.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pugster007
    Free Member

What Dan said ^^^.

Cough, cough, what size rotors are you after, I have some new Avid G2CS rotors in 160mm …… and a very slightly used 185mm ..

supersaiyan
    Free Member

some brake manufacturers list minimum thicknesses. My old Hayes would overheat when they got too thin (less metal to absorb temperature maybe?) and when the pads were thin too, the reservoir wasn’t big enough to push the pad all the way into the give enough power on the rotor.

not sure if this is model specific but may help:
    http://www.support-english.magura.com/index.php?showtopic=1036

get your verniers out!

JoeG
    Free Member

Replace at 1.7mm thickness. New is 2.0mm. Read about 1/2 way down on http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/when-replace-magura-rotors-730085.html

oxym0r0n

If you use always genuine MAGURA pads the rotor’s lifetime should be at least as long as the bike’s one…

😆

Thanks folks – I shall be borrowing my dad’s digital calipers I think and checking the thickness – it is quite visible!

I have a spare 160 for the back. I just need a 180 – I hadn’t even noticed until I was replacing the bearings in the back hub…

t_i_m
    Free Member

I ran the rotor on my front Hope M4 down to about a third of its original thickness before I noticed it! Then immediately replaced it as it seemed sensible. However, it was still working ok.

motox2k
    Free Member

i have always found disco brakes really good for pads and disc’s remember to replace both the disc and pads.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Katie’s oldest set of Hope Mini’s look way thin. Must check them. Still work fine though. I’d been thinking of seeing how long it would take for the brake surface to shear off though that’s probably not a pleasant failure to experience.

oxym0r0n

Update: turns out they were about 1.5mm, so due for replacement I think!

james
    Free Member

Think I read 1.55mm somewhere the other week

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘when to buy new rotors…’ is closed to new replies.