Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • When to apply for a job.
  • King-ocelot
    Free Member

Hello all, someone advised me to wait till near a job deadline to send my application in so it’s near the top of the pile. Good advice or bad?

Drac

Utter rubbish.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If your application is good, then any time is the right time.

fadda

I don’t think it matters, as long as you don’t miss the deadline.

Do you want to work for an employer who doesn’t use an objective measure of the quality of applicants, anyway?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

When recruiting I used to skim read the applications as they arrived. Bin the ones i didn’t like and put the rest in a pile for a proper read when the deadline had passed. If I had 30 applications received perhaps 5-6 made the ‘keep’ pile

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ve seen two jobs I really want so I’m trying to get the applications spot on. There’s not much in this area, so I suspect there will be lots of applications.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Tosh. Large organizations filter job applications through HR, the smallr companies I’ve worked for won’t read them till after the deadline. I suspect even skim reading like WCA says is unusual

That said, and this is purely IMHO, if there’s a “contact for an informal chat” name or phone no, use it. Line up some decent questions and call them. When someone does that with me, I remember them, so effectively it’s part of the interview process

totalshell

garbage, I skim em bin some straight off and keep two or three to interview

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d go so far as to say that getting your application in early shows a modicum of enthusiasm and eagerness rather than a lastminute.com attitude (but that could be bullshine too) 🙂

Moses

Early. If there’s competition then many employers will think – right, we’ve got a dozen applicants, let’s start interviewing right away. Later applications won’t make the cut.

spideymouse
    Free Member

Don’t leave it to the deadline, some organisations will get so many applications and CV’s that they will stop accepting well before the deadline.

McHamish
    Free Member

Just send them an email telling them you’re awesome and you’ll be in in the morning to sort stuff out with HR and start work.

Alternatively, send your application when you’re ready, I doubt it makes any difference how close to the deadline you send it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘When to apply for a job.’ is closed to new replies.