Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • When tanks were tanks :-)
  • wwaswas

ah, a quick search on the previous page might have been in order first…

huggis
    Free Member

on the 1st pick will that blokes head not get knocked off when the turret rotates?

redthunder
    Free Member

@huggis

I've often wondered that as well.

wwaswas

one of my developers used to be a tank driver (chieftans).

biggest problem when moving is that the gun is self leveling so as you point the nose up a hill the barrel lowers and bashes the driver on the head. It's why they tend to travel with the gun pointing backwards or the driver tucked away and looking out through a port hole.

unsponsored
    Free Member

A few from my trip to the Saumur tank museum in France. Last August.

mafiafish
    Free Member

The challenger turret pops up over the driver's head but at the speed it rotates it must take a while to get used to. but in combat you put the hatch down, lay down and look through mirrors. The inside's a dangerous place when the turret spins. We had a go with the royal scott dragoons and one of the loaders said he knew someone who lost a nose when it span around. Would not want to spend 24 hours in a box that small.
    Check out the panzer Maus. or the designs for this:

And here's the ammo

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Just cos no one else has posted them:

M1 Abrams:

And the Challenger 2:

Both with self levelling 120mm canons, both hard as ****.

redthunder
    Free Member

Panzer Maus 😯

cranberry
    Free Member

What the flippinheck is that shell from?

stumpyjon

8)

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

The future!! Not a tank but you don't want to be on the receiving end of one of these salvos. Working on the new version now which has guidance.

footflaps

There's a tank on rubber tracks parked in the car park of one of the companies on our business park (in Cambridge), it's under a cover so not sure which model – but a bit unusual for a work car park!

Armour is for gurls.

Urban freeriding in my BV202. 8)

votchy
    Free Member

Can remember when I was a kid having a ride in a Scorpion around the test track they had at Catterick, amazing bit of kit considering the terrain and speed we were travelling at, was black and blue from being thrown around in the seat in the turret, my head only just above the opening line.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Ahhhh, the BV, got fond memories of being towed around Norway by them.

Olly
    Free Member

Had a look around the inside of an AS90at a army cadets thing when i was younger.

The breach on it was huge.

1m x 0.7 x 0.7 (ish) and came all the way back into the firing area, and back into the forward position in quarter of a second.

(they showed us a vid of it)
    it was rather scary, how little space there was in there, and how quick it moved, and how heavy it is.

bit like but a proper gun 😉 (there is an internal camera shot half way through the vid)

Tim
    Free Member

That massive german one isnt a Panzer Maus – its a Landkreuzer 1500 :-)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreuzer_P._1500_Monster

Maus was still massive, but the 1500 dwarfed it – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_VIII_Maus

http://www.vincelewis.net/ultratank.html

The russians also had a huge tank, but i cant find a reference right now!

always liked the swedish take on the tank:

slowjo
    Free Member

I'm sure this is the wrong thread to ask on but I have often wondered why, in Afghanistan, the army don't use things like the Sherman "funnies" used on D Day to clear mines.. you know, the ones with rotating flails on the front? It would sort out the IEDs in a jiffy wouldn't it? It might make a mess of the roads but it is not as if thet are tarmac or anything is it?

(Stupid question of the day I'm sure.)

willard

One of those flail things would work on surface mines with a contact fuse (think classic anti-tank mine or classic pressure mine for people), but it would not work against a buried IED that was command detonated and maybe hidden in a culvert under the road.

I suspect that the insurgents would also start targeting the flail tank just for a laugh…

slowjo
    Free Member

ah…..

back to the drawing board then!

CountZero

Nice to see that photo above of the shell, there's one of my favourite WW2 jets above it, a Salamander. There used to be an air museum at RAF Colerne near me, that had a Salamander, a Komet and a Nadder.
    Loving this thread, great stuff, keep it up.

stumpyjon

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Ownage!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

actual LOL

Olly
    Free Member

also, actual lol, and "rightclick > save image"
    tell me more about those monster tanks!

zaskar
    Free Member

If you scroll really fast up and down through the pics you start to murmor war war war…need to kill war…war… 😯

Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘When tanks were tanks :-)’ is closed to new replies.