Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • when should i replace my rotors? what thickness?
  • haggis1978

hello, just wondering when i should be replacing my rotors on my hope brakes. they are a few years old now and have had plenty of service but was looking for a figure as to the thickness of them as a guide please. they are the original hope floating rotors from around 2006 i think. cheers

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of anyone wearing a rotor out or having problems from one wearing down

bigyinn
    Free Member

I suppose the danger is the braking surface gets too thin and the shear forces involved will eventually separate the braking surface from the rest of the disc.

t_i_m
    Free Member

From experience: I wore my front down to a third of its original thickness before I noticed(!) and replaced it. I was riding alpine descents with it like that. Seemed fine but I dont know how much you can push it and the consequences could be bad if it fails.
    I’ll be replacing the next one before it wears that much again. BTW, I’ve got Hope M4s FWIW.

Please post if you find out what manufacturers recommend as I’m quite curious.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Rear 160 (XT) and front 180 (Aligator) were both badly worn after about a year on my Meta 5.
    Was probably down to less than a mm at the thinest point on the rear and noticably concaved so wasn’t immediately visible. 😯

I think that roughly equated to about 4 or 5 sets of sintered pads over the year in the UK (inc mostly Peaks and Calderdale grinding paste) and 2 sets of kevlar ones in a week in Garda.
    … After which point I decided to up the rear rotor to 180 too.

Very impressed with the Superstar floating rotors so far.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of anyone wearing a rotor out or having problems from one wearing down

I have. Hopes. Very badly worn…..Lots of use though….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There was someone on here with a badly worn one recently. Mine have wear but a barely perceptible lip between worn and unworn areas. I would replace at around half thickness at a guess

bigyinn
    Free Member

The badly worn one was for a Formula RX I think, that was mostly down to bad rotor design cuasing uneven wear IIRC.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve seen hayes-9’s where the center of the braking surface has actualy worn through in places!

I usualy bend them well before they get worn out now which is even more expensive.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘when should i replace my rotors? what thickness?’ is closed to new replies.