Viewing 2 posts - 81 through 82 (of 82 total)
  • When no one can afford petrol
  • zokes
    Free Member

I have reduced my miles by about 150/200 a week and plan to buy a more economical vehicle but I have limited choices and a limited budget. As i live in a caravan and work in rural areas and have to go off road daily. I can’t really come up with a practical solution

Freelander 2 TD4e – Whilst not the most fuel efficient car, it is certainly the most efficient 4wd car I’ve driven. And it’s certainly off-road capable.

konabunny
    Free Member

right this thing about oil companies
    I have in the past worked for an NGO negotiating primarily with exxon
    they are truely the biggest bastards ive ever had to speak to
    closely followed by british american tobacco

I have done a lot of work for global companies like those and I agree entirely – they are utter bastards. And if you think they’re bad, look more closely into the operations of non-transnational oil and tobacco companies (you probably have). They can be even bigger bastards.

But all the same:

just because some dickhead in a shed…claims they have produced an engine that can do 1000mpg or run on toffee apples but is being suppressed by the “evil oil companies” doesn’t make it true.

Serious companies like Honda are spending billions on alternative power sources for vehicles and every manufacturer is desperate to increase the fuel economy of the vehicles becuase they know it will help them sell them.

I don’t think Teh Big Oil wouldn’t suppress the technology on moral grounds, just that they couldn’t (they’re not ept enough to keep it secret) and they wouldn’t because there’s more money in selling it than not (someone who had technology that could reduce energy consumption on vehicles by even 5% would be fabulously rich, let alone something that got 38498439 mpg or whatever). Auto manufacturers in the US, for example, are killing themselves to keep pace even with CAFE – in the past, iirc, they’ve sold smaller cars at a loss just so they could continue selling big lucrative cars while still keeping their efficiency targets.

Viewing 2 posts - 81 through 82 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘When no one can afford petrol’ is closed to new replies.