Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • When does biking stop in the Alps
  • thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

My wife has come up with the idea for a week in Argentiere in the Alps. Had a look on the map and it is right next to Chamonix. Which peaked my interest. But she looking at the last week of October. What’s the deal on snow arriving and end of Mtb and start of skiing? Ta.

colp

In Leogang (1900m) the lifts shut Sun 26th Oct.

wallop

French lifts generally close end of August, but check individual resort websites.

If you don’t need lifts, end of October might still be ok snow wise – it looks like skiing doesn’t start till end of November at the earliest but to be honest every year is different in terms of snow cover – last year the snow arrived late in many resorts.

wallop

Website suggests a couple of gondolas open til November. Not sure if they serve a glacier but could be an interesting prospect!

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP Verbier bike park closes 24 Oct although lift from valley floor only fully open at weekends but there is a bus uplift from valley floor (Chable) to main village. The best enduro style trails go to valley floor. Bike park runs are tough for grading and the reds would be very tricky if wet. Chamonix closes earlier than that from memory, I threw away the lift schedule recently but it’s on line. The few lifts open late in Chamonix (eg Brevent) provide a bit of quite technical biking, paths rather than bike trails. We did a two resort trip Chamoix / Verbeir this summer, Verbier is about 45-60 mins from Argentiere. The Chamoix lifts reopen in November for US thanksgiving week as they get a lot of visitors. Ski season typically is mid Dec depending on snow cover

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Val D’isere just had a 10cm dump, Graham Bell tweeted pic looks terrific (but not for biking!)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=chamonix+lift+opening+times

There’s also plenty of lower level stuff to do without using the lifts

ianfitz
    Free Member

I think the popularity of fat bikes means it doesn’t stop!

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’d say there is plenty of low level stuff. You can certainly ride around the valley and pedal up into the petit balcon but the OP was asking about lift assisted.

wallop

Was he?

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

OK. Thanks all.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘When does biking stop in the Alps’ is closed to new replies.