Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • When do you replace a tyre? Sidewalls look interesting…
  • Swalsey
    Free Member

I have used Panaracer fire XC Pro on my full suss for about 3 years use, and that includes only off-road (Dalby, Innerleithen, Glentress, lakes, wales, everywhere) – because I like them and can’t be bothered changing or buying tyres all the time. I’ve taken a close look at the sidewalls, because the tread is only about half worn… and I can see thread. Not a lot, but a pattern around the full tyre, front and back, from cornering action I assume.

Does this make them dangerous and in need of replacement? I may even change to a different tyre; I got some Specialized Enduro cheap which are on my hardtail and they work well. So did high rollers in the Alps…

Ambrose

I had your ‘symptoms’ just before my rear tyre exploded on Saturday.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A sort of criss cross pattern? Thats just from it flexing being run at low pressure. – just creasing in the rubber

if you can actually see the threads its a different issue

mamadirt
    Free Member

Mine always go like that – probably from running low pressures ‘cos I’m only light. Have a couple of splits in my rear tyre at the mo which I’ve repaired inside with d/h tube – time for a replacement now though I think.

Swalsey
    Free Member

I run them at 45PSI as they seem to pinch flat very easily… I can see thread and really just wanted to know if this has caused anybody a problem. Since my girlfriend is to use the bike I think I’ll have to change them – a blow-out when I’m introducing her to MTBing will not do me any favours!

It seems silly that the sidewalls wear when they are not being ran at silly low pressure… I only weigh 11 stone. Perhaps I’m an aggressive rider!?!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘When do you replace a tyre? Sidewalls look interesting…’ is closed to new replies.