Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • When did you realise that you were an adult?
  • PlopNofear
    Free Member

I’m 19, a student. I guess technically I’m an “adult” but I’m think I’m still a child. I don’t have any real important responsibilities yet. I’m awaiting the day when I suddenly have an epiphany and become an “adult”.

So when did you become an adult?

wwaswas

So when did you become an adult?

I’m 46 in my head I’m still about 12 years old.

I do try and behave like a grown up most of the time or my kids give me funny looks.

bikebouy
    Free Member

About a month ago..

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

When I dated an 18 year old and realised how old I was.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

When I had the responsiblity of looking after Jnr FD at the age of 37.

_tom_
    Free Member

When I sorted out my work pension scheme about a month ago, at 23 :\

MrsToast
    Free Member

I haven’t yet. I think Ms Brosh explains it best.

GrahamS

“I can’t even look at young girls any more.
    People will think I’m some kind of pervert.
    No more ‘boy meets girl, boy loses girl’
    More like: ‘Man tries to figure out what the hell went wrong”

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSDF8VvU13M[/video]

DaveRambo

Define being an adult?

I was self sufficient in my 20’s after Uni.
    I had a child in my 30’s

I do a lot of the things adults do but as a 45yr old Male I think I’m still classed as a child by most measures.

I ride my bike a lot and like getting muddy
    I make cars with guns out of Lego with my daughter 9 who yesterday commented on how I was really just a big kid)
    repeat until bored…

boxbuster
    Free Member

When you’ve never heard of some of the words teenagers are using, For me it was when the word “schizzle” started being used, still not got a clue!

wwaswas

I don’t wanna put no money down
    I don’t wanna get me a big old loan
    Work them fingers to the bone
    I don’t wanna float a broom
    Fall in love and get married then boom
    How the hell did I get here so soon

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo4Y0TxW41g[/video]

[edit] actually I was grown up when the lyrics of this song seemed ot have resonance for me.

makeitorange
    Free Member

When I went to an 18 year old’s Birthday party and realised mine was a decade ago. Everyone there looked like the cast of Skins and the music sucked.

tomhoward

A combo of what TSY and makeitorange said.

jam-bo

21:41 15 October 2011.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

When songs you liked as a kid are now 30+ years old.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Pffft, it’ll never happen!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

When I first offered someone a job and became responsible for them and their dependents’ welfare as well as for me and mine.

Flaperon

About last week when I bought a filing cabinet and put a folder in it marked “Pension”. I’m 26.

*hangs head in shame*

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

When I first offered someone a job and became responsible for them and their dependents’ welfare as well as for me and mine.

Wait till the day you have to let them go – then you really ARE an adult 😥

Cougar

I turned 40 this year.

I’ll let you know when it happens.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

About last week when I bought a filing cabinet and put a folder in it marked “Pension”. I’m 26.

Ha, you’ve just made me feel young. Time to hit on teenagers again me thinks.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

if your ugly you need to become an adult now , . . if your handsome you don’t.

willard

Saturday afternoon just gone. I was at a family BBQ and told some of the assorted kids (not mine) to stop throwing ice cubes at each other. They, obviously, asked “why?”. My response of “Because I said so” stopped them doing it immediately.

Unfortunately, I also woke up the next day feeling old, decrepit and worn out, so it was not all good.

Sandwich

First time I carried a family members coffin out of their house.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I think, without sounding lachrymose, it was probably the first time my heart got seriously broken that I realised I had become an adult.

I was about 24. Everything changed, perspective-wise, after that.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@MF yup, have that badge too!

drlex
    Free Member

When I could go to sleep with an open & unfinished bottle of alcohol in the house.

ransos
    Free Member

On a cold night ride, I cycled past a group of young, attractive, scantily clad ladies leaving a night club. My reaction would’ve been “phwoar!” now it’s “you’ll catch your death”.

nosemineb
    Free Member

I suppose it was when i held my child in my arms. 😳
    I was 28.

downshep

1. Parenthood.

2. Songs from my yoof and the DJs that played them now on Radio 2.

3. Looking after ageing parents.

4. Going to more funerals than weddings.

5. When a hot drink and a cold woman replaced a cold drink and a hot woman.

meehaja
    Free Member

mostly I feel like a teenager, but my job puts me in adult situations and I feel like a fraud, or that at any moment someone is going to out me as the child I think I am!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Talking of unfinished bottles of alcohol..
    I have a very nice bottle of French Red that I opened the week before last and it’s still half full sitting on the side with a vacuum stopper in it..
    Being an Adult now I’m torn between supping it gently and downing it in one sitting..

“will decide this evening”

As a caveat I’m still riding bikes as hard as I can and still trying to beat my mates up hills.. and sometimes I ride my roadie without a helmet and just a casquette.

globalti
    Free Member

When I turned 18 and my Dad told me I needed to decide on a signature and stick with it as I would be signing all kinds of stuff from then on.

Grizla
    Free Member

The first time that someone called me Mr (surname), after my dad had died.

That had always been his name, until then.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

As someone who is about to turn 37 and planning on getting back into skateboarding, I found this from Lance Mountain

You’re as old as you feel, and some days I feel about 60, but it passes when someone says “poo”

samuri
    Free Member

I’m still astounded with the amount of things I’m allowed to do.

I’m allowed to drive a car or a motorbike, I can drive a lorry or operate heavy machinery. I can be responsible for other people. I can own a house or a credit card, I can help elect someone to office. I can smoke and drink without fear of retribution, I can become a father and can go to prison.

All these things have been allowed because my body is older than eighteen years old. No wonder the world is in such a terrible state. At eighteen I was a tiny child. Many men remain in this state their entire lives.

I think I became an adult in my late twenties. I keep slipping back though. I’ll still occassionally think that a fight would solve a problem or that I’ll win the lottery but i’m gradually growing out of those too.

scuzz
    Free Member

My dad first showed me the internet back in the mid-nineties and I couldn’t understand his jubilation at having on-demand access to weather forecasts. The weather didn’t matter to me; I had a world of opportunity ahead whether rain or shine. I don’t know how, but gradually I have grown up; something has died inside me. I think my various dreams and aspirations have dissolved into the single hope that there will be sunshine in the next 5 days.
    I became an adult when I gleefully downloaded a Weather app.

philconsequence
    Free Member

you know your old when your shit smells as bad as your dads did growing up.

freeagent
    Free Member

I read somewhere recently that you become an adult when your relationship with your parents changes from them looking after you, to the other way around.. not sure I completely agree but I understand the sentiment…

For me becoming a parent a 34 (5 years ago) was a big deal.. I can remember walking out fo the hospital with our baby in the car seat thingy, with a tear rolling down my cheak thinking “wow, life will never be the same again”

I guess Mortgages/marriage/pensions all play theri part aswell..

My younger brother is also unwell at the moment (fighting the big C), and is facing a very uncertain future.. this also makes me feel very grown up for some reason (all to do with taking on responsibility for our parents if he isn’t around I s’pose?)

racefaceec90

i have no intention of becoming an adult (i’m 37 😀 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘When did you realise that you were an adult?’ is closed to new replies.