Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • When did the gas board start using yellow piping?
  • m1kea
    Free Member

Digging the trench for my shed power and came across some yellow piping. We had the gas reconnected 17 years ago and it’s defo not our supply.

99% sure it was the (dead) previous supply, which I think would have been fitted 30+ years ago.

Anyone know?

jamj1974

It’s been used for a long time – certainly back into the 1990’s. Was there for low pressure networks back in 2000 and wasn’t new then (Ex-Transco employee).

squirrelking
    Free Member

I wouldnt write it off as being dead, when we were building our extension over the old cast main we were told not to cut it out ‘just in case’. Plenty of plastic here. Why did you main get cut in the first place anyway?

redthunder
    Free Member

I have a photo of myself with Wavin Gas pipe going back 40 years.

I’ll my Dad he was in this industry.

project
    Free Member

ring national grid theyll tell you who owns the pipe, and if its a dead end.

redthunder
    Free Member

Seabank, Avonmouth Circa 1977

Awesome playground 🙂

Check out my personal train…

MrOvershoot

Bloody hell that brings back memories of Bristol Road clubs 10 mile TT circuit that went past the Seabank power station, 1979 was my first one.
    Some of the chemical mist that drifted off the gantries on Severn Rd used to make your eyes water!
    7 years later I installed some pneumatic control system at the power station and it still stung your eyes.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Mid-seventies for PE. Could be earlier if it’s yellow wrapped steel.

topper

National Grid TRIIO have or are due to stop buying yellow pie due to the cost of it. Something to do with fully yellow pipe being more expensive due to the yellow pigment used, compared to grey pipe with a narrow yellow stripe.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s cheaper to skin the pipe via co extrusion i presume with the correct colour. I only noticed yesterday that the latest roll of 32 mdpe I put out has a black core which will be recycled material and a blue outer.

j4mie
    Free Member

Well for starters chaps, there is no such thing as “the gas board” these days, it ceased to be a decade ago. The industry is privatised now (though heavily regulated).

If you’ve found a pipe, call whoever is the gas transporter in your area, they will get someone out to do a live/dead check and find out the status of it, and may even tell you what type of pipe it is.

It might be a main that feeds your street or the houses behind yours, or could be a service to one of your neighbours.

http://www2.nationalgrid.com/UK/Our-company/Gas/Gas-Distribution-Network/

m1kea
    Free Member

Cheers chaps

redthunder

Those 70’s shots jogged a memory of riding on someone’s toboggan one snowy winter. It had runners made out of yellow piping and we had to bail just before hitting a tree at what seemed like 100mph 😀

Also found our water incomer in the same dig and both are going to be reburied (and marked) once I’ve run ducting for my shed power

digga
    Free Member

You can put pipes underground without digging from the surface using an underground, horizontal mole boring machine. (Safe to Google that term.) So just because there’s no trench or sign of the installation, does not mean the pipe is dead.

m1kea
    Free Member

digga

Transco did that when we had our (new) supply connected and they got it stuck for a couple of days, necessitating closing half our road down whilst they dug it out 😆 😳 .
    We still have the old termination valve by our back door, which they didn’t want to touch back in 99. I’m 95% sure this is what this extra pipe goes to.

footflaps

Transco did that when we had our (new) supply connected and they got it stuck for a couple of days, necessitating closing half our road down whilst they dug it out

could be worse, could have taken 4 months to dig it out and cost $143m to repair!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertha_(tunnel_boring_machine)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘When did the gas board start using yellow piping?’ is closed to new replies.