• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hels.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • When did public protests start turning violent?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Was there a defining moment or protest in recent times that meant that all public protests thereafter turned violent?

Protest against the Iraq war was peaceful as far as I can remember…

binners

Peterloo really

If you read about the reasons for protest, and the government over-reaction, the paralels are staggering. We haven’t really come that far have we? And we’re going backwards

Peterloo Massacre

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think they always have been. The old poll-tax ones weren’t the most peaceful of affairs.

ransos
    Free Member

Peasants’ revolt? 1381…

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Dammit, beat me to it – I was going to mention Wat Tyler!

project
    Free Member

Poll tax riot in trafalgar square, and lots more before probably, just that they get lots of free media attention now, for the great unwashed ,on the 24 hour news channels, playing the same vid of some yoof smashing a few windows, or shouting.

Whatever they do today nothing is going to change,only probably a cull of courses at uni,s as less students decide its not affordable, and get a job , or an apprenticeship.

retro83
    Free Member

yep, round about 1381. Bloody Essex boys kicking off again 🙄

IanMunro
    Free Member

Poll tax riot in trafalgar square, and lots more before probably, just that they get lots of free media attention now

Yup, It’s quite an eye-opener when you get the occasional shot of the press to protest ratio if the press think its about to kick off.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And the police attacks on the miners during their strike.

binners

It did seem like the backdrop to the 80’s was constant anti-government violence, countered by a police-force that increasingly looked like a paramilitary militia. That had changed for a while, but its heading back that way at a pace again

I wonder if there was some factor that was a constant both then and now. Something that could explain the confrontation. Hmmmmmmmmmm I wonder…….

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

🙂

epicyclo

The Peasant’s Revolt seems to be the blueprint for how govt reacts to democratic demands…

Dobbo

Poll tax riot in trafalgar square, and lots more before probably, just that they get lots of free media attention now, for the great unwashed ,on the 24 hour news channels, playing the same vid of some yoof smashing a few windows, or shouting.

I went along to the Stop the City ‘demos’ in 84 & 85 through involvement with Crass and Class War, it was always going to kick off that was pretty much the aim of it really. Smoke bombs and groups everywhere being hassled and hassling the old bill, we got kettled in at the Bank on Mansion house steps, I think that must have been one of the first times the police used kettling.

rewski
    Free Member

It’s all Watt Tylers fault.

epicyclo

Massacre of the Rosses is a good example of how the forces of law and order like to escalate unrest.

hels
    Free Member

No, I am Spartacus !!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘When did public protests start turning violent?’ is closed to new replies.