Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • When did I start groaning as I sit down or stand up?
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

My friends and I recently turned forty and seem to collectively groan as we sit down or stand up.I’ve never really noticed it before, is it a forty onwards thing? Have we always done it?

camo16
    Free Member

35 for me. 😳 I sit with an ‘oof’ and rise with an ‘eurgh’.

I blame it not on age, but on my bad back.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I have to make a conscious effort not to do it now, it’s rubbish!

zokes
    Free Member

It’s already started for me, and I’m not even 30 yet…

doug_basqueMTB.com

When I started bike guiding it started. Now I grimace as well which is even worse. I’m 37!

camo16
    Free Member

Well, we’re at the age when a conscious effort is required for the most mundane daily tasks:

10 years ago, if I dropped something I’d just pick it up again. No bother.

Now, I seem to work through a lengthy checklist:

1. Dropped it. Damn.
    2. Right, can I use my feet and kind of loop it up for a catch?
    3. Nope. Damn.
    4. Okay, you’re going to do it, okay. Remember, straight back, bent knees.
    5. Straight back, bent knees. Got it.
    6. Ready?
    7. Uh-huh
    8. Okay, down we go.

* creaks as camo descends tenderly *

9. OOF!

* creaks as camo rises tenderly *

10. EURGH!
    11. There, that wasn’t so bad was it?
    12. Nope, now where’s my muscle relaxant?

😉

chewkw
    Free Member

A colleague of mine couldn’t get up properly once he sat himself on sofa.

LoCo
    Free Member

34 and I sometimes have to roll onto the floor and then pull myself up on the chair 😆

Bagstard
    Free Member

Sounds like I have done pretty well getting this far then! Mind you I do a similar checklist to camo and I have to spend an age warming up before squats.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I hit 40 next year and I can already hear my knees creaking when I walk up the stairs 🙁

Bagstard
    Free Member

Mine have done that from birth, so I don’t really count creaky knees.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Years of skateboarding and rugby (not at the same time..) have ruined my knees and back. Standing from a seated position for me is a long and painful process and definitely involves facial grimacing and seemingly uncontrollable grunts, gasps and sharp intakes of air through my teeth. This has been going on for at least 10 years, and I’m 38 😐

cyclebiker

Only 31 and already I look like kaiser soze after getting up from a chair…sad times.

LenHankie

36, and although I can get up or sit down just as easily as ever, I normally emit an ”Aah..’ when lowering myself into a chair, purely in enjoyment at actually sitting down.

officialtob
    Free Member

It’s already started for me, and I’m not even 30 yet…

+1, i’m 27 and noticed myself doing it…

tomhoward

Me too, Im 28.

kiwijohn

41 & my feet hurt when I stand up.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Like cracking knees, and an expanding waistline, “ooof!”ing as you move is a sign of getting old. Just don’t start gasping in suprise when a lit gas hob pops…

mrblobby
    Free Member

40 here and it’s been getting worse the past couple of years. I can’t pick up blobby jr without letting out a groan.

Who was it that did the comedy routine about telling some younger bloke about some pain he had and the chap asking him “so how did you do that?” Then he had the realisation that in younger days some alignment was always due to having done something but these days he just wakes up with a sore back/neck/joints/etc.

MSP

The older you get, the bigger the value of change dropped out of your pocket has to be to be worth bending down to pick it up.

vickypea
    Free Member

I’m 45 with a bad back and I can’t get out of bed in the morning without going “oooh me back!”

pennine
    Free Member

Must get my wife to read this post. She is always moaning about the noise I make getting into or out of a chair. Having said that, I am in my sixties.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

I did for a while when I had a bad back. 28 years old/ young. I had some generic inflammation in my lower spine, and do a set of stretches for 5 minutes 4/5 nights a week. Worth a shot?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Me too, Im 28.

+1

much happier with how this is going. 😉

Duane…
    Free Member

Umm, I’m 22 and noticed I make noises when I get up and sit down last year…

Body has definitely passed it’s peak..

mav12
    Free Member

wait untill you prefer to sit having a wee

IanW
    Free Member

My friends and I recently turned forty and seem to collectively groan as we sit down or stand up.I’ve never really noticed it before, is it a forty onwards thing? Have we always done it?

This and having to sit down to put my socks on were the motivation to shed a pound or two. 😉

Duane…
    Free Member

mav12 – no comment..

beaker2135

Don’t mind the involuntary noises it’s the time it takes to get my back straight once I’m stood up…

_tom_
    Free Member

24 and I’ve noticed myself doing it recently 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

@penine – are you talking about the same type of noise as the OP or something else ?

nickdavies

wait untill you prefer to sit having a wee

27, my experience is similar to camo’s except my ooof is normally accomodated by a ssssst as my trousers split down the crotch.

I’ve not stood up to use the loo for years, I don’t get why anyone does that – just sit down and enjoy the moment!*

*Urinals excepted…

mightymule
    Free Member

Been doing it for a few years now. Mr Mule Senior was unflatteringly gleeful when he pointed it out to me 👿

Dales_rider
    Free Member

What about when having a dump, grunts then or do you just pull a face ?

mightymule
    Free Member

Depends what I’ve eaten the night before…

pennine
    Free Member

Jambalaya: Don’t know what you mean… but my wife was highly amused 😳

Tom-B
    Free Member

27 here and I’ve been groaning as I get up for ages!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘When did I start groaning as I sit down or stand up?’ is closed to new replies.