Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • When are you too old to still wear a baseball cap?
  • riddoch

I am a a fan of hats be they Panama, flat, bush or baseball. I tend to default to baseball alternating between a tidy Garmin team cap or a sky one. I had the sudden realisation that as I am aproaching 40 that I may look a prat in a hat.

john_drummer
    Free Member

When you GAS about what other people think 😉

I’m 50 and I have one hat, a baseball cap in orange with ‘NY’ on the peak. I wear it when I need to keep the sun out of my eyes and sunglasses alone can’t do the job. I don’t care what other people think it looks like

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Turned 40 last month, still rocking a skip.

robowns
    Free Member

I’d go with your instinct on this one.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I wear my New Jersey Devils BBC with pride, at 58. (even though I prefer to follow Calgary Flames)

robdob
    Free Member

39 and still wear one but I hate the new flat peak designs, can’t seem to get the proper ones.
    I do have an issue with a massive head, my current favourite had to be imported from Sweden as I couldn’t find any other XXL Flexifit hats (It’s a Fox Racing one).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I hate the flat skip too.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I love the ones with gold sticker on, I giggle every time I see one and the weapon who’s wearing it.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I think about 18momths after you stop being an American.

When you were born.

Baseball caps look ridiculous on anyone, but that’s just my opinion – if you like it, then wear it.

I quite like hats of various types – if I wear a peak, it will be a military style cap though.

Wear what you want, just don’t expect everyone/anyone to think it’s cool apart from you. As long as you are comfortable in it, then sod anyone else.

beefheart
    Free Member

Puberty.

beefheart
    Free Member

I do have an issue with a massive head, my current favourite had to be imported from Sweden as I couldn’t find any other XXL Flexifit hats (It’s a Fox Racing one).

There’s a reason for that- you’re 39!!!!

Northwind

Sealskins waterproof baseball cap is the greatest garment ever developed, I want to be buried in mine

slowoldman

When you were born.

Agreed. Hideous things.

mikey74
    Free Member

You’re your own person: Do what you want.

bones
    Free Member

Think it depends on your look. I also wear nhl & mba caps, plus beanies, and think I will when/if I get old. A 40yo twit in a cap with a flat peak with a sticker on would make me cringe. But same goes for a 20yo 😉

alexpalacefan

Backwards? Front-wards? To the side?
    This makes all the difference.
    APF

rOcKeTdOg

To wear a trucker cap you need to be a trucker, be a bit greasy & called Billy-bob

All other hats are ace though, my boss rocks a Brown Derby

loddrik
    Free Member

42 here. Usually wear a cap.

theotherjonv

Got one on as we speak.

Because I’ve just got up, had to nip to the garage to get some bagels for breakfast, had ridiculous bed hair, can’t be bothered to wash or restyle it in any way until after my ride, which will be the next time I’ll wear it (there and back, same reason becoming helmet hair after)

Also useful as a glasses wearer to keep drizzle at bay. Or sun out of my eyes (or, as I have a nose that is exactly the same angle as our latitude and hence the sun hits it at 90 degrees and so can burn it in seconds flat, keeping it off that)

You can still get sports style caps in sports direct. I agree the flat peak / sticker ones are an abomination. My daughter has one that I steal and wear sometimes for the purpose of looking like a **** and embarrassing her. It’s a Dad thing.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I’m 47 and wear a cap every day at work, shame its a bump cap and says Severn Trent on the front !!
    Failure to wear it ends in a warning 🙂

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Unless you’re a chav.

Unless you play a sport/work safety/F1 driver.

globalti
    Free Member

There are different shapes of baseball cap and they suit different faces and heads. I have a couple, which I use for sun protection and I happen to think are quite OK looking. I have 27 other types of headgear as well…

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I wear my Pittsburgh Steelers cap sporadically, as a very casual piece of atire it’s just fine. And handy in the summer heat.

therevokid
    Free Member

52 and still wearing my Bentley Boys one from Le Mans 🙂
    also have tweed flat cap and a huge dose of dgaf … I’m comfortable !

hora
    Free Member

OP where they come from people of all ages wear them. I didnt realise there was a limit?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I may look a prat in a hat

As William Hague famously proved ?

ferrals
    Free Member

When you get too old to care about sunburn and heatstroke! I know I look like an idiot in one, but I also know I act like an idiot when I have too much sun and get grumpy!! More practical than other hats for active outdoors use in summer I reckon. Not sure I’d wear one in February though

hora
    Free Member

‘Too old to’

Who says this? People who are paranoid?

Some people never look good in certain headwear. Its usually if you have a weak jawline/chin.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Garmin team cap? Are you in the team?

z1ppy

Wow, some great ‘judgemental’ comments above, I shall add my own my suggesting anyone who wears a flat cap & doesn’t have a whippet or ferrets & come from Yorkshire looks really silly (peaky blinders seems to have brought them out in droves). Was recently temped to buy a tweed baseball cap (haven’t worn a cap in 20 years but do love my canvas bush hat) but too close to the classic Burberry for comfort. Do/wear what you want & let the haters hate, WGAF really?

Sealskins waterproof baseball cap is the greatest garment ever developed, I want to be buried in mine

They do what? Cool! [Scammers off to find a picture of one]

Ohhhh tempting!

Make sure you wear it like this – and post a pic. Oh and stitch the waistband of your jeans to the bottom of your boxers 😉

rexated
    Free Member

Garmin team cap? Are you in the team?

Garmin have a baseball team?

I don’t think age should be the qualifier for baseball-hat wearing, rather, self-respect 😉

binners

At times like this, you need to defer to an authority on such matters. Love him or hate him, the much maligned (unfairly in my view) Pete Docherty, knows a thing or two about hats. And as he correctly observed in A Time for Heroes:

“There are fewer more distressing sights
    Than that
    Of an Englishman in a baseball cap”

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HAusT_Yl1gE[/video]

julianwilson
    Free Member

My 66 yo dad wears a baseball cap on sunny days when he does the gardening or walks the dog. He still looks 66 in it but not particularly daft imo. Although his is the sort you would find in marksies or cotton traders, so not sure how a wide flat brimmed one with a shiny sticker on it would look on him!

Cougar

At the cusp of 40 you’re the wrong age for a baseball cap.

You’re just too old to get away with it “looking cool”, and just too young to not GAF that you can’t. You’ll be wearing it with pride again in a year or two.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Driving, sunlight and drizzle: I’m now too old to GAS preferring comfort. But, as a gentleman, one removes one’s hat on entering a building.

CountZero

I gave up wearing baseball caps several years ago when cloth caps started to get more popular in different styles. I don’t like the traditional flat ‘at, or what’s known as paperboy caps, but I found duckbill caps, which have the benefits of the baseball cap, having a decent bill to keep rain off my glasses, and sun out of my eyes, and stop the top of my head getting sunburned!
    I’ve got a couple a bit like this one, one’s a Stetson!

Really comfy, and I don’t look a tit wearing them.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

^^^ 😆

yunki
    Free Member

about age 14 is the correct answer to the question posed by the OP

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘When are you too old to still wear a baseball cap?’ is closed to new replies.