Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Wheely hard questions
  • verses

Hi,
    Before xmas I was asking what's what with regards to Hope Pro2 hubs. Thanks to the advice I got, my new wheels have arrived at my LBS 🙂 BUT I now need a bit more advice.

I've heard that Hope freehubs can be scored by the spider on cheaper cassettes…

1) Is this scoring a serious issue, or just cosmetic?

2) I have a brand new SLX cassette sat in the garage waiting to be put on, should I relegate this to my old wheels and get an XT one for the Hopes? Or are the SLX's score-proof?

3) I'm currently running a singlespeed setup thanks to a DMR singlespeed kit I got for xmas, is this likely to cause scoring on the new free-hub?

Cheers,

Ian

james
    Free Member

SLX will be fine

Saying that cheap casettes won't do it isn't quite right

What they need is a casette with a 'carrier', where some or most of the sprockets have a sort of 'chassis' to spread the load a bit over the freehub body. You'll see what I mean when you look at the SLX.
    An XT has a little wider one

The freehib body is aluminiumm, not steel and 'normal' casettes where all the sprockets go all the way to the freehub body can guage into it. If it gets really bad, you may find the casette is very difficult to remove

The SS setup (in theory) will be worse than a 'normal' casette as you're sticking all your (SS) load onto just one sprocket (rather than 7 stuck together in a 9spd casette). You might get away with a sprocket with a wide base

verses

Thanks very much for the answers.

Regarding the single speed sprockets, do you know of any that have a wide base? Or any pointers on where I should look 🙂

Thanks again,

Ian

verses

Having a browse around the usual suspects turned up this one. The description states "Large Anti-Dig footprint on cassette body", would that be the sort of thing I need to avoid scoring?

verses

Just spotted this one too: "Broad 7mm base avoids the cog ripping into Cassette bodies.".

I realise I'm answering my own question to some extent, but it'd be good if someone more knowledgeable could let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree or not 🙂

verses

Bump bump… 🙂

Can someone knowledgeable comment on the 2 cogs I've found please? :mrgreen:

alexpalacefan

I'd go with the Surly,

APF

verses

Cheers APF.

Now all I need to do is decide whether I want to keep spinning in a 16t cog or risk a 15t…

nickc

the scoring is cosmetic, it might make getting the cassette a bid harder when it comes to replacing it, but it's easy to file down the burrs so it doesn't happen a again. it won't do any long term damage to the hub

The surly cogs are fine, On One do some called groove-armada which are also pretty tough as well. Any single cog is likely to score a hope hub as well, same as above applies

verses

Thanks again, I think I'll get the Surly 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Wheely hard questions’ is closed to new replies.