Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Wheels 'off-center', but straight….fix?
  • stcolin
    Free Member

Hi all,

Both my wheel, my front more than my rear, seem to be off center. The bike is a Meta 5, wheels are XT QR hubs with EN321 rims. The front was replaced about a year ago, rear is the original. Has had two rebuilds – first for bad brass nipples and then breaking a few spokes.

Both wheels are straight, not buckled (well the rear has a slight kink, but nothing to worry me), but they are both off centre. I put it down to the tires at first, but i’ve measured the gap between the rim and the fork/swingarm and it’s a couple of mm out from even.

Can truing the wheel fix this?

Cheers

Colin

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Truing will alleviate the symptoms, but is it the rim off centre to the hub or the frame/dropouts itself misaligned?

Try putting the wheels into the frame/fork the other way around and see if the offset swaps to the other side of the bike – if it stays the same then wheel itself is centred on the hub and it’s the frame/drop-out that is misaligned.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Try another wheel or put (at least your front) in wrongway round. If the offset is the same (and in the same direction) then it’s not the wheel.

greeble
    Free Member

the wheels are alighty our of dish
    go around the whole wheel loosening the spokes by 1/2 a turn and tightening by 1/2 on the other side. keep doing this until the wheel is central. Then check for true.

shortcut

Is it the wheels that are out of alignment? Or the frame? Suggest you get both checked at a shop. The wheels are easy to fix on e you have established it is them that are the problem.

stcolin
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice folks. Will get it checked out at the LBS

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Wheels 'off-center', but straight….fix?’ is closed to new replies.