Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Wheels for a road bike / gravel bike – help!
  • tmb467
    Free Member

So I’ve got a giant revolt with the OM wheels on it (cup n cone hubs with Giant sx2 rims)

I’d like to put some new wheels on it that can take both 25c road tyres and be comfortable going up to 45 for off-road type duties (and may go tubeless at that)

I don’t want to spend more than about £200 – what options do I have? If this was for my big bike I’d be looking at 2nd hand ones but I’ve no idea for a road bike…

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Are they disk wheels (presuming so if a ‘gravel bike’)?

For that price probably look at some Mavic Aksium Disks (£150 in CRC).

If its rim brakes, then maybe widen search for some Campags, Fulcrums too.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Maybe Hunt wheels??

genesiscore502011
    Free Member
    tmb467
    Free Member

Not necessarily outside of budget – if they are decent. And yeah, I’ve got discs so would need 6bolt hubs

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Though to be honest not sure you’re gonna get a rim that’ll be great for 25c and 45c.

Possibly some 29er wheels, might be best to run the originals with the road tyres and the new ones with the chunkier tyres?

tmb467
    Free Member

Aksium looks half decent and I can get the British cycling discount too.

rezis
    Free Member

Have a look at the Cosine alloy disc wheels at Wiggle for your budget.

Light and cheap, reviews seem to vary a little but for the cash you get a wide wheel set and about 1650g!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cosine-23mm-alloy-clincher-disc-brake-road-wheelset/

simonb512
    Free Member

I got my pair of Open Pro rims on XT hubs (6 bolt) from merlin for just under £200.

https://www.merlincycles.com/pair-shimano-xt-6-bolt-hubs-mavic-open-pro-700c-76483.html

This is what I run on my Orange RX9. However the only issue I have is the XT hubs are not 11spd compatible. I’ve had to fudge my cassette into being 10speed to make it fit/work.

xyeti
    Free Member

I’d reccomend some HED Belgium+

Got them on my CX bike and they are strong wide enough and they look good

fifeandy
    Free Member

Have a look at the Cosine alloy disc wheels at Wiggle for your budget.

Light and cheap, reviews seem to vary a little but for the cash you get a wide wheel set and about 1650g!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cosine-23mm-alloy-clincher-disc-brake-road-wheelset/

These are where my money would go.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Open Pro rims on XT hubs

Narrow rims, even for 25mm tyres. I’d not want to put a 45mm tyre on there!

I’d reccomend some HED Belgium+

Nice, but definitely not within the 200 quid budget for a pair of wheels!

Those Hunt ones look good for 250 quid. Aksium are cheaper but then they’re quite a bit heavier too.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve been looking for something similar though I’d have to have a bolt through option.

Oh and I’d want the rear to be quiet, not necessarily silent but quiet.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve been looking for something similar though I’d have to have a bolt through option.

Looks like the Hunt do bolt through adapters.

Oh and I’d want the rear to be quiet, not necessarily silent but quiet.

Take the free hub apart and pack it with a light grease.

thepodge
    Free Member

Yeah those hunt look nice, I’ve packed my Hope rear full of grease, going to see how that goes before trying it on other hubs.

faustus

Superstar have a couple of road disc options under £200, fully convertible hubs and 11spd ready. However, they will be pretty loud and greasing the pawls doesn’t last long.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What about Kinesis Crosslights….however just seen now that you cant get them for less than £300 !

thepodge
    Free Member

Volume is why I have stayed clear of Superstar, not a lot of point in getting rid of a Hope and replacing it with something just as loud.

tmb467
    Free Member

Just been emailing Hunt this morning – for £250 they look great value

Read some middling reviews on the Cosines – they look good too but I’d be more tempted by the Aksiums if I don’t go Hunt

Saccades
    Free Member

WTB i19

I’ve these on my bike, smallest you should really go is 28c (I have ran Pave 27c). A tad noisy, but as mentioned, pack the hub with grease.

Have survived 3k so far with a clumsey 100kg (in birthday suit) on top and are true, tubeless ready and give a decent profile on bigger tyres as they are a decent width.

mboy
    Free Member

Look at the DT Swiss R24 Disc. £25 cheaper than the Hunt’s, has blades spokes, roughly the same weight and rim profile etc. I’ve sold lots of bikes with R24’s and the more expensive R23’s on from stock and they’re surprisingly good wheels to be fair.

thepodge
    Free Member

A friend has the R24 and highly rates them but I was struggling to find them as a pair in stock

tmb467
    Free Member

Just been looking for em myself – can’t see any either

mrblobby
    Free Member

The Germans have one left at Rose.

Bike24 say they have stock too.

rezis
    Free Member

I use some Kinesis Crosslights on my GT Grade which I picked up from Merlin for £250 last year.

Great wheels but the V4’s I can’t find for less than £290. 🙁

Dickyboy

Be wary of rose bikes stock – they have twice taken my money and not delivered.

Personally I would go 28c for the road tyres and get some of the WTB i19 wheelsets

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I have the i19s as training wheels on the cross bike. They’re laced up 32 spoke as ex-29er wheel set and are both heavy and tough. Did I mention they were heavy? They’re heavy.

OCB
    Free Member

Happy to build your own?

I know from using them, Mavic A719’s are tough, build up really nicely, and easily run 700 x 32 to 29 x 2.1’s (Mavic rate them for 28mm to 47mm). Not the lightest rims you’ll find tho’ – I will give you that, but I’ve never had to put a spoke key on mine since building them.

(Ok, I know they aren’t 700 x 25, but I guess it depends which end of that scale you favour / how bad you roads are – mine are rubbish so the narrowest road tire I run is 28).

You should be able to get close to ~£200’ish with XT hubs.
    More money will get DT Swiss XR331 rims (which look kinda similar’ish).
    Good opportunity to consider a dynamo based wheelset (like my Vaya will be getting over the coming months).

😛

firestarter
    Free Member

As a side note I ran 1.6″ 29er tyres on open pro rims for years no problems

I currently have stans grail rims can’t fault them

tmb467
    Free Member

Sadly I’m not competent in wheel building – it’s one of my missing skills. The only reason I’d wanted to go to 25c is that I got a free pair of 25c Durano DD tyres for joining British Cycling and I want to set the bike up so I can ride with my uncle next weekend

Still looking at the Hunts to be honest – £249 for them sounds a bargain (albeit slightly over budget). Some other good suggestions there if I can’t stretch for the extra tbo

ajantom

There’s always the amazingly good deal of some Gimpiemme 29er/700c wheels for £55 at Planet X. They should be happy with anything form 25c upwards.
    Spend the rest on C&Hs 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m actually looking to get rid of my dynamo front and replace it with a normal one

fatbobb
    Free Member

There’s always the amazingly good deal of some Gimpiemme 29er/700c wheels for £55 at Planet X. They should be happy with anything form 25c upwards

Ohhh, they look OK for the money. Will \they fit an 8 speed cassette with an adapter? I can only see them at 69 quid too.

properbikeco
    Free Member

I just bought Aksium for £110 from decathlon as had a voucher to use up

Had a look at the DT R24 but apparently they are a bit funny and not the same as those on the DT website – not such a bargain as they appear.

ajantom

Ohhh, they look OK for the money. Will \they fit an 8 speed cassette with an adapter? I can only see them at 69 quid too.

Ah, they appear to have put the price up a bit. I got a pair for £55 last week.

They’ve arrived, and out of the box seem damn good value for money. Run true, tension seems good, hubs are very smooth (cartridge bearings, so not too surprising!) come with a set of QRs, though they don’t have rim strips.
    Weight is actually slightly less than listed at 1920g for the pair.

The freehub will take an 8 speed cassette as is – standard FHs are good with 8/9/10 speed.

tmb467
    Free Member

Just got the Hunt ones delivered today

Look ace, smooth as **** and pretty light for disc wheels. Came with QRskewers, spare spokes, taped up and ready to go – and delivered within 24hrs

All set for a 24m commute tomorrow morning

mrblobby
    Free Member

Love a thread with a happy ending 🙂

ampthill

Very helpful wheel round up thread

If I wanted hand built mavic 719 on XT hubs who should be looking at and for a good build at a good price?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Wheels for a road bike / gravel bike – help!’ is closed to new replies.