Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Wheels – Can I build one with one missing spoke?
  • mcboo
    Free Member

I managed to shear off a nipple on an XTR rear wheel, has been sitting forlornly in my shed for 6 months. I dont think I’m going to be able to get the remains of the nipple out without taking a drill to it which will almost certainly crack the rim itself.

Is it possible to build a wheel (32 hole) with one spoke missing? Can the slack as it were be taken up by the rest of the spokes?

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Are you sure you can’t get the nipple out, have you got a photo?

mcboo
    Free Member

it sheared right down almost to the face of the rim, cant get any purchase on it at all and rounded it in the process. LBS had a look at it back when I bust it, didnt want to to go near it with a drill…..

coffeeking
    Free Member

Cant see how you wouldnt be able to get the nipple out and fit a new one? Maybe I’m missing something. You could build the wheel to cope but it’d never be completely straight and it’d always have a weak spot. I find my 32 hole wheels are distinctly weaker than my 36s, I’d rather not go down to 31 for anything more than an emergency trip 🙂

mcboo
    Free Member

the nipple itself broke off, not the spoke. have still got the hub of course so isnt the end of the world but it’s a pity, is lovely rim.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t see why it can’t be repaired, unless I am missing something, even if a spoke is seized to a nipple you just cut the spoke & replace both.

No way is a 31 spoke wheel a sensible option, why would you want ot build a new one when that’s what you have now?

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

The XTR nipples are threaded into the rim? you should be able to unscrew it?

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

if you can’t get a grip on the nipple, you’ll need a screw extractor the smallest standard size is 3mm which is probably too big, but you can get smaller ones for repairing watches and spectacles.

http://uk.hilco.com/catalog/catalog_browse.asp?ResultType=single&prodID=1484&IDType=internal

mcboo
    Free Member

Sorry I should have posted a picture, whats left of the nipple cant be removed without drilling, doesnt sound like anyone recommends rebuilding with a missing spoke. thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Wheels – Can I build one with one missing spoke?’ is closed to new replies.