Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Wheelie on a roadrat?
  • irishtom
    Free Member

I’m 36 and finally learning how to wheelie. It’s only been a few weeks but I’m getting a feel for it and making progress; can get a few cranks in before I loop out. Feels great though! I’m using my Bfe for it which feels perfect for the job. Have been on my roadrat a few times in between and can barely get the front wheel to lift more than 6 inches. The chainstays are much longer than the Bfe and got me wondering, is it even possible?

Klunk
    Free Member

you need to be wearing a hoodie with the hood up and holding a can of fosters.

cokie

Yes, you can wheelie it (and pretty much every bike), but it’s a different technique to the BFe. I find the balancing point is much lower though, so really small changes are the difference between looping and holding it steady. The BFe is super easy to hold in a manual/wheelie. It’s just down to practice!

irishtom
    Free Member

Your point regarding the lower balance point is interesting, and makes sense now that you say it. Helps me understand the physics of a wheelie more overall too. Cool, I will keep it up. It’s a great way to get a bit fun/easy exercise in the evenings.

I’m much more scared of looping out on the roadrat-I’ve not actually let it happen yet. Will focus on the Bfe to build my confidence/skills and move on to the roadrat in time.

cokie

I had a really bad off on my hybrid (essentially the same as the roadrat) when I first got it. I tried for about a week on the commute to manual and wheelie it with the same technique as my MTB but got frustrated. I ended up getting a little more aggressive with the technique and found that when you finally find the balancing point it really requires fineness and feathering of the brake.

Sadly my V-brake was appalling and I got caught out. I fell straight onto my arm with the bike and body (first thing to make contact) and I was still clipped in. It didn’t break the skin, but left the most horrific bruise and it’s still left a scar, plus the hair wont grow back in that spot, after 4 years.

I can now wheelie road bikes comfortably, but just we aware that it can go wrong much quicker than on an MTB.

irishtom
    Free Member

Right-that sounds nasty. Can see how it happened easily but good to hear you’re enjoying the rewards now though! Thanks for sharing it- really helps to understand the difference between the two. Also shows that maybe my fear on the roadrat is warranted.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i do a little wheelie practise every day that i ride to work.

as a result i’m better* at wheelie-ing my panniered-up cdf (with drop bars) than any of my mountain bikes.

(*less completely useless)

jackthedog
    Free Member

I’m sure road bikes can and do wheelie, but I’d be careful trying. Unlike mountain bikes and BMXs, they aren’t designed to thud too regularly back down to earth. I wouldn’t like to ride a road bike that’s spent a lot of time with the front wheel in the air…

iainc
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Wheelie on a roadrat?’ is closed to new replies.