Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Wheel/hub offeset… bear with me… minor techincal alignment issues
  • weeksy

Right boys… here’s the scenario.

I’ve got a Spearfish…. i built from scratch.

I’ve got 2 sets of wheels, a pair of Giant S-XC 29 and a pair of Hope Pro2/Crest 29.

When i fit the Hopes and the rear mech is adjusted for hi/lo, then i get all 10 gears…. However, when i then fit the Giants, when i go for the big ring on the rear, it slips over the top and between the spokes/hub. So, i adjust the hi/lo, brining it so the Giant no longer does that, but then the Hopes don’t get the largest cog on the rear..

None of this is a major concern per se… but i like things RIGHT….

So, why are they aligned sightly differently, what can i do about it ?

I also notice this on the brakes too, they’re about 1mm-1.3mm out when swapping between wheels (rear only) and need a minor caliper alignment when swapping wheels… Again… this is more just curiosity than an actual issue.

So, i bought a 2mm cassette spacer (single speed type) to see if i could use that to move the Hopes cassette out about 2mm to sort the alignment, sadly, this meant the lock-ring didn’t work, so that was a no-go. So i was thinking of a 1mm cassette spacer instead ?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The only way around this is two identical hubs and even then, you’re relying on manufacturing tollerance.

That’s the big criticism of road disc for racing and neutral support.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Wheel/hub offeset… bear with me… minor techincal alignment issues’ is closed to new replies.