Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • wheelbuilding with bonty osb rims
  • thomthumb
    Free Member

so i decided to build some new wheels with bontrager rims, with the oset spoke bed (the holes are over to the left a bit).

Built it, nice and true but the spoke line sits central, not the rim, do i need to recalculate spokes? (please no!)

I’ve tried tightening all the right hand spokes, loosening the lhs but it doesn;t seem to work.

any clues?

Speshpaul

What you’ve done sounds right as in the rim is out of dish. Try letting the tension off the spokes and then re-tension it but this time dish it first.
    Rather than focusing on taking the wobbles out look at getting it in the right place over the axle first. Also sometimes when the tensions has come up on a rim and its aout of dish it can stick in that position. Place the wheel on the ground just supportted on the hub and with your hads at a quater to 3 give it a little shove. Then move it around a quarter and repeat. Then fip it over and repeat. It might free up a little.
    All of this is assuming that you have got the spoke lenght right and haven’t run out of thread.
    Cheers
    Paul

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Yep, as above you just need to dish it right.

STATO
    Free Member

you should be able to dish it correctly by slackening off and retensioning it with the right dish. but if you are using the spoke lengths for a normal rim with an ofset rim your a bit silly ;0)

finishthat
    Free Member

you need to check the spoke lengths using spocalc it allows you to
    enter the spoke offset. look at line 627 in rims in the spocalc you will see
    the offset for the Bontrager rims is 2.5mm

If it passes the dishing guage test then its right,

if its wrong then loosen all the spokes till the nipples just cover the spoke threads,

then give all the spokes on the offset (rhs) side 4 complete turns, then continue to tighten the spokes in turn side by side , as soon as you have enough tension to reliably use the dishing guage check whats going on from there .

GavinT
    Free Member

an offset of 2.5mm is going to make a tiny difference to the spoke lengths; we’re talking something like .3mm here so you shouldn’t have any problems. Just need to dish it properly.

Speshpaul

Tom do you have a dishing tool ? i can point you towards a cheap diy solution

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘wheelbuilding with bonty osb rims’ is closed to new replies.