Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Wheel upgrades – a must?
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

So I have a set of Bontrager Rythm Comps 27.5 that came with my Trek Remedy.

I’ve always had custom wheel sets before and don’t really know anything about the Rythm Comps.

I’ve got the chance to upgrade some bits with a thank you voucher from work and thought I might look at a new wheel set.

The Easton Heists are high up on my list or maybe a set of Arcs on pro 2 Evo.

Would this be a beneficial upgrade?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

After riding for nearly 17 years, I’ve come to the conclusion that decent wheel quality is one of the most important factors on an MTB and is often understated.

That said, trading ‘up’ from the basis of ‘I don’t know what these wheels are like’ seems some what silly.

somouk
    Free Member

I have a similar thought process on my T129S, wheels may be the only thing I need to upgrade.

I’m looking at Pro 4s thanks to being 29ers and the shorter spoke lengths.

chakaping
    Free Member

What happened to your Five?

Crossmax XLs are pretty awesome for a trail/enduro bike IMO.

Dunno if CRC still have any for £400 (plus BC discount)

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I don’t think I explained myself very well,these we on an old trek remedy and they’re what I have at the minute I never rode them because I put on my old Pro 2’s.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

The new wheels are to go on the five

pickle
    Free Member

what’s the general view on the Superstar wheels? good or rubbish? I’ve currently got Shimano XT which are about 4 years old and thought about going for a set of Superstar 26″ wheels instead.

rhid

I am looking at Hope Tech Enduro Pro 4s and DT swiss E1700 at the moment. Leaning towards Hope as I have always used them and like the company. Bit heavier than some other options but heavy means sturdy right??

FOG

SS seem a bit hit and miss. Mine are Pacenti rims and switch hubs and they have been fine for three years. At first I checked tension every ride after reading negative comments. However they needed no attention until I hit a big rock in Scotland which was hardly the wheels fault. After a quick retrue they have been fine since.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Agreed. Why I now only buy frame and get it built up. Saves a fortune, you get what you want at no extra cost. Wheels will easy swap to new frames to. Upgrading jousts cost more.

chakaping
    Free Member

what’s the general view on the Superstar wheels? good or rubbish?

The Tech 4 are good, sturdy, basic wheels.

Worth waiting until they have the next discount on them.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve always been a hope hub fan but can get a set of the Heist wheels (the same as the arc rim) for a really good price.

According to the reviews the hubs have been simplified and it’s just a sealed bearing to knock out and change when needed.

Otherwise I’ll be having the Arc 27 or maybe 30 built into some pro 2 hubs as a custom set.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Does anyone have the Heist wheel set?

If so, how are the hubs?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Wheel upgrades – a must?’ is closed to new replies.