• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by nixie.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Wheel truing stands?
  • jakehinton
    Free Member

Ive been looking at picking up a cheapish wheel truing stand. Ive never trued wheels before and reckon it will be a useful skill to learn.
    Ive seen a jobsworth one from planet x and a park ts8 from wiggle. Has anyone used either of these? Do you need adapters for them ti true wheels with 12/15/20mm axles? Any info/recommendations appreciated!

joshvegas
    Free Member

I started using a fork and a zip tie.

Still going strong.

Now have one with gauges and i don’t rate it that highly as invariably i do it by eye.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Still going strong.

Now have one with gauges and i don’t rate it that highly as invariably i do it by eye.

jakehinton
    Free Member

And presumable a zip tie on the seat stay or chainstay for a rear wheel? How do you check how true it is vertically? Another zip tie on the fork arch?

SirHC

Bought one of these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-tools-pro-mechanic-wheel-truing-stand/rp-prod122322?gs=1&pgrid=36427643173

Same as the old jobsworth truing stand. very sturdy and have trued many wheels and build a few with it. Need to use a good wheel to align the jaws to and you need to take the tyre off for 29″ tyres, as it rubs on the arm.

jakehinton
    Free Member

And does that one need adapters for through axles? It says it accepts hubs up to 145mm but have you managed to fit a boost hub in there?

kerley
    Free Member

Still going strong.
    [/quote}

Built more than 10 wheels very successfully doing just that

Rubber_Buccaneer

And does that one need adapters for through axles? It says it accepts hubs up to 145mm but have you managed to fit a boost hub in there?

I have the Jobsworth version of that CRC/X-Tools truing stand. I use the Park adaptors to take through axle hubs and I dismantled mine and attacked it with an angle grinder so it will now take a 148mm rear. Buying now I’d just get a single sided version since I use a separate gauge to check dish or you can turn the wheel around. It is nice and solid which I think is important

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve got the Minoura. It works fine for me.

I think pretty well any stand needs you to use adapters to get down to QR to mount. Some adapters fit inside whatever endcaps you already have fitted though which is more convenient than swapping endcaps.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Oooh wheel truing stands! I asked Mrs SP for the Park TS8 for my birthday last week. She got me this instead because she found it on offer somewhere.

I know that doesn’t answer the OP and this is an utterley useless and un-informative post. But couldn’t resist posting a picture of my new toy 🙂

willyboy
    Free Member

If you buy Roger Mussons wheel pro book you get plans on how to build one; it’s very straightforward. It also shows you how to make a dishing tool. Wheelpro book

If you have a jig with parallel jaws you don’t need adaptors. You can just use a qr; the wheel then sits a bit lower in the jig but you can still use it fine.

Ps. Even if you buy a stand I’d still recommend the book.

dudeofdoom

Yep most definately buy the book.

I’ve got an old shiny chrome Park ts2 and don’t begrudge the 200 squid I paid sh for it yonks ago.

Built a few sets of wheels and trued the odd one an it’s just a pleasure to use as it’s pretty solid beast.

Had a clamp on cheap one first but it was way too floppy you need the solidity if it wobbles around it just makes it really hard work.

leffeboy

Why use a dishing tool rather than just flipping the wheel round in the jig? What is it I’m missing

firestarter
    Free Member

The jig could well (quite likely) be out

leffeboy

But you if you are only checking against one edge, say the left side of the rim, then if shouldn’t matter surely

firestarter
    Free Member

Head fried. Erm your probably right, easier with dishing tool tho I guess

wilburt
    Free Member

I have the basic Park Tool one set up on a bench, its had regular use fixing mine and friends wheels for a couple of years and works fine.

mickmcd
    Free Member

no one needs one of those wheel trying thingamys

wilburt
    Free Member

No one needs a lot of stuff

vincienup
    Free Member

@willyboy,

I have the Musson book and would recommend it heartily. The stand isn’t actually a particularly cheap thing to build unless you happen to have all the stuff kicking around already. If you needed to buy all the materials it probably wouldn’t be any cheaper than a half decent readymade. Not that it isn’t a potentially useful bit of kit, but it’s probably not a cheap option for most people.

nixie

Treat the stand design as a guide and it’s easy to do cheaply. Mine was originally entirely built from bits that were laying around (have since had the jaws 3D printed). Ok no two screws are the same and it’s no pretty but it works. My original gauges were Lego as that’s what I had to hand (now got some screw in adjusters made out of old PC cooling bits).

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Wheel truing stands?’ is closed to new replies.