Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Wheel truing advice
  • solman
    Free Member

So I got my wheel trued from the LBS. (I actually got my SO to drop it off pick it up as I work out of town and couldn’t be there in person).

But the wheel isn’t totally straight/true. I can still see a slight wobble when I spin it. The SO told me that the LBS said once a wheel goes out of shape it can’t be straightened out fully, hence the noticeable wobble.

Is this correct? Should I be expecting more?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Once a rim is bent you can’t get a wheel perfectly straight, yes.

Is the tension off around the point in question?

solman
    Free Member

I’ve checked the tension, and everything seems ok in that regard.

Fair enough if the rim is bent. To be honest I’m quite surprised I managed to do this to them as I would have thought Flow rims would have stood up to a lot more. I’m not a rad rider, I just went for a stronger rim as I weigh 13st. But then that might be the problem!

sbob
    Free Member

No wheel will be “perfectly straight”, but a half decent wheel builder should be able to true a wheel so it is difficult to see with the naked eye.
    Buy a spoke key and have a crack yourself. It has saved me hundreds over the years (I’m keen but talentless, so have bent more than my fair share of wheels and can do a much better job than my LBS).

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Yes flows are tough rims, but it would also depend on the quality of the build in the first place. If was a poor build, it’s always going to be difficult to correct it perfectly. A well built wheel should very rarely, if ever need truing up once it’s built.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Wheel truing advice’ is closed to new replies.