Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • wheel spokes snapping!!!
  • Nick_Christy
    Free Member

hi all,,

need a bit of advice.

i got a scalp comp and since owning it in august, ive snapped 4 front spokes and 3 rears.

they all snapped at the nipple end.

what could be causing such a problem. im on the heavy side at 105kg but just wondering if theres anything i can change or do as stripping the wheels down to replace spokes is becoming tedious.

many thanks

nick

scaredypants

Are they superlight or something ?
    Ask for a new set on warranty, sell on and get some burlier ones ?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

not that im aware of, they the generator set from nukeproof.

scaredypants

They seem to advertise them as for “hard-hitting” riders, so should be OK

Shouldn’t be snapping spokes 4 months in, so I’d ask for a full rebuild or replacement, unless you’ve been doing something daft on them

Is there any spare thread at the end of the spoke or are the nips fully jammed down to get the tension into the wheel ? (you might only be able to tell by trying one out of the wheel – maybe have a look at the last bit of spoke thread on a surviving spoke & see if it’s deformed ?)

olixmb4x
    Free Member

i had a similar problem recently, and likewise they all sanpped at the spoke end.

i posted on here and people suggested it was uneven spoke tension as a result of either; a poor build in the first place; or as a result of the wheel being trued too often and twisting spokes / uneven tensioing

i fully slackened off each spoke and fully rebuilt the wheel so the spoke tension was as even as possible.

if you say they are the generator wheels, they would be factory built usually meaning the spokes are super tight when new.
    how old are the wheels? are they under warranty? if not then get it rebuilt

P20

Take it back. The only way to definitely cure it is have them both rebuilt under warranty

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

they are brand new on a brand new bike back this august.

a lbs told me its because im so heavy on a dh bike and should expect it haha…

RustyMac

a lbs told me its because im so heavy on a dh bike and should expect it haha…

Is utter bolox I weight about the same as you and have never had an issue with spokes snapping.

carlosg
    Free Member

Is utter bolox I weight about the same as you and have never had an issue with spokes snapping.

+1

I built my Mavic 325’s on Hope bulb hubs with Sapim spokes over 5 years ago and ride with a complete lack of finesse . Had to true the front one up after an arguement with a tree (I lost) but never had any snap.

Northwind

A mate of mine has a Generator rear, he weighs almost as much as two mes and asks a lot of his wheels, but he’s never had a problem.

sbob
    Free Member

I only weigh 12.5 stone but I am completely talentless on a bike and can break any wheel you give me.
    My experience as a semi-professional wheel breaker tells me that most spoke breakages occur at the hub.
    I have no idea if this information is useful.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘wheel spokes snapping!!!’ is closed to new replies.